Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 07:53 AM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Went thru the same scenario minus starter engagement. Replaced a weak battery and the problem went away for a week and came back. Bottom line the regulator was getting flakey. Replaced that app. 2 months ago and all problems solved.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,587 Likes on 3,833 Posts

Put a battery in it. Mine was doing same thing and their fancy battery tester said it was OK. It was the battery. It went from struggling to doing 20 mph with no gas!? HA

Old 04-02-2014, 12:34 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

while most responses tend to replacing the battery- testing it first would be smartest.

90% the battery is the problem but over and over we have riders replacing good stuff because they didn't know how to test or couldn't be bothered.

I wrote a post last year on a neighbor who had over a couple of weeks replaced $1300 worth of batteries, stators and regulators.

the fault was a $12 cable- which I diagnosed for him in less than 20 minutes.

mike

ps: with a weak battery the solenoid may "chatter" do not operate it this way, it will create further $$$ problems. If you push the starter button and the starter does not turn but whines stop! the windings are overheating and will burn = $$$

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-02-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:43 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A weak battery will make it start up without hitting the starter switch when the bike is not running ???
"now whenever the main switch was turned on and the ignition switch was on it would start by itself with out hitting the start button."

Old 04-02-2014, 05:10 PM
flht2009
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
while most responses tend to replacing the battery- testing it first would be smartest.

90% the battery is the problem but over and over we have riders replacing good stuff because they didn't know how to test or couldn't be bothered.

I wrote a post last year on a neighbor who had over a couple of weeks replaced $1300 worth of batteries, stators and regulators.

the fault was a $12 cable- which I diagnosed for him in less than 20 minutes.

mike

ps: with a weak battery the solenoid may "chatter" do not operate it this way, it will create further $$$ problems. If you push the starter button and the starter does not turn but whines stop! the windings are overheating and will burn = $$$
the starter never did grind thankfully it just engaged and rode on the flywheel it was shut off as soon as this happened. I have 12 volt on both side of the starter button when attached to the grey wire on the run stop button. that's why I think it may be the botton. either way the battery needs replacing

Old 04-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Ride Ultra
Advanced

Originally Posted by 69cj
Went thru the same scenario minus starter engagement. Replaced a weak battery and the problem went away for a week and came back. Bottom line the regulator was getting flakey. Replaced that app. 2 months ago and all problems solved.
Exact same issue here, except I'm getting the BANG as it tries to start. Little throttle at crank makes it better.

Regulator or airflow issue? Got pretty bad and thought it was the dirty air filter. Cleaned and oiled the SE breather (actually K&N for the SE setup). Still there, esp when it's hot...chugging clanking mess.

Thoughts anyone?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:38 AM
flht2009
Advanced

id like to replace the whole switch housing and add cruise control while im at it. any ideas for this other than the dealer 250$ assembly?

Old 04-03-2014, 09:39 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Ride Ultra
Exact same issue here, except I'm getting the BANG as it tries to start. Little throttle at crank makes it better.

Regulator or airflow issue? Got pretty bad and thought it was the dirty air filter. Cleaned and oiled the SE breather (actually K&N for the SE setup). Still there, esp when it's hot...chugging clanking mess.

Thoughts anyone?
I had the same symptoms with my 09 Classic.Extended warranty replaced starter clutch and comp,I replaced battery.Problem cured.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Proper diagnostics will find the actual problem(s). Throwing parts at it, is just plain dumb. Guessing at the cause, (which many responders here seem to have missed a few symptoms), can add to the cost.

Do yourself a favor, and find a competent mechanic who knows how to perform a methodical diagnosis...

Old 04-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Dannyo62
6th Gear

I have a question, does my 2010 streetglide starter need oiling ?? Does it have a hole or a place to add oil ???

Quick Reply: starter issue