Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sore tailbone

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 04:13 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

We have a lot of customer's experiencing tail bone pressure and we add a tail bone relief channel for them, this works really well to alleviate tail bone pressure.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Improvement to rear shocks good seat and more importantly the tires in excellence condition will make a day and night difference, I have same problem like you mention change my tires very often to keep me pain free.Softer tires do wear out quickly but ride comfort is day and night.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:53 PM
J_ULTRA
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kingomtn
I went through something similar that took me awhile to figure out. I could ride many times with no problem and occasionally I would have a sore tailbone. It ended up being one of my pairs of 501's. Something was cut different with them that when riding pulled down and put pressure on the tailbone. I phased them out with no problem since.

Another situation that can cause problems is riding with your wallet in your back pocket. That lump can throw things off kilter and cause all kinds of discomfort in your rear and back. Advice from a chiropractor when I was having back problems.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
Improvement to rear shocks good seat and more importantly the tires in excellence condition will make a day and night difference, I have same problem like you mention change my tires very often to keep me pain free.Softer tires do wear out quickly but ride comfort is day and night.
Agreed. Comfort starts at the ground then up. Dump those wooden stock tyres for decent compliant ones, install top shelf shocks (anyone with physical discomfort deserves them), then top off a suitable seat, custom made if needed. There is little point putting all faith in just a seat.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:58 PM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by CRF
This. Try pushing your handlebars forward... It'll force you to sit up and lean forward a bit. That'll get you up off your tailbone and onto your butt/thighs. Changing seats just treats the symptom; not the cause. Ive found that almost any seat can be comfortable if your posture is correct and your bars, foot position are set up properly. The comon seating position of leaning back with your feet out in front is the absolute worst for long term comfort... Hard on the back, core and azz.... Still see tons of guys riding like this though... They're usually the ones on here asking for more comfy seats, backrests etc. Again its treating the symptom not the cause.... Sit up straight with a slight forward bend at the hips, arms just below shoulder height, elbows slightly bent and you can ride all day sitting on a brick
Very good advice. Will try that first.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:46 AM
Scarz
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Ask your dealership if they have a Hammock seat you can test on your ride.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:25 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

I was having major problems to the point that when I would get off the bike, I would get Extreme rush of pain when getting off the bike. I tried many seats, and seat pads with no success. After I put my Apes back on, it all went away. Guessing a different riding position fixed my issue.

I have settled on a mustang super tour with a riders back rest, and it is much better than stock, but changing the position I am seated with the bars was the answer.

I can run 600+ miles a day with no tailbone pain.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:31 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by e6fmf
Very good advice. Will try that first.
While posture is important, so is the seat itself. Old cast iron tractor seats are comfortable, because they are shaped for sitting.

Many a motorcycle seat is not shaped for sitting. Especially when they are domed, putting maximum sitting pressure in the center, on your tailbone and your pubic bone. A number of stock seats on motorcycles are shaped this way. They will hurt, no matter how perfect your posture.

Try straddling a rail fence, with perfect posture, and tell me how it feels after a mere 5 minutes.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:47 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

OR it could be this...
https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...londial-cyst#1
Might just want to see a doctor first. I had this at a much younger age, doc asked if I did a lot of sitting at first, and at the time we considered that it was the motorcycle seat on my first Honda dirt bike. Had the operation to have it removed, and over the years it still does bother me at times, however, I have learned to sit up straight, with good posture, and also limit my sitting position with more frequent breaks. IMHO.... if you are under the age of 30, this condition happens a lot, and the doc might be the first place to look into. AND I can tell you it is a "real pain in the ***" and will continue to be for a loooooooong time! good luck!

Old 11-15-2018, 10:55 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,045 Likes on 6,219 Posts

I was getting the so called "assburn" from the stock seat after a long ride. Had this seat modify by MCC, no problems.

Quick Reply: Sore tailbone