Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sore tailbone

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 07:43 PM
dynarider68
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sore tailbone

I am new to this forum but not new to bikes. I am on my 2nd Harley and love it. The 1st was a dyna convertible and the 2nd is an ultra limited. My problem is after about 80 to 100 miles my tailbone hurts so bad I can hardly move. I love ridding so much and need to get something to help my cause. I have looked at different seats but not tried any out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone and happy ridding.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:00 PM
usraptor
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try http://www.meancitycycles.com/
Reasonably priced. They have my seat right now and are doing the low/narrow modification.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:03 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a similar problem when I bought my Yamaha road star in 2005. I bought an aftermarket ultimate seat that was good but still had a problem. I bought a 2010 Ultra Classic and the problem remained. I bought a mustang seat and it got better but I still had a problem. for my 2013 Ultra classic limited, I decided i'd take the plunge and buy a Russell day long seat http://www.day-long.com/ its guaranteed...I can report now that I can ride for a full tank and get back on and ride some more. I've only gone about 450 miles in a day and stopped because that was my destination. there are good aftermarket seats out there. I went as far as going to a pain management clinic that gave me a steroid shot in my tailbone....it helped a season. the only problem with daylong is they aren't going to win a beauty contest but your cheeks will see the difference. other alternatives are HD Hammock and Zeppelin. Some dealers let you borrow a demo seat to try. it makes all the difference in the world when your a$$ aint sore. good luck.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Every bum is different, but I find the firmer seats are better for me. The soft OEM seats feel good on the showroom floor, but firmer seats tend to give me better tail and back support on longer rides. I've been a Mustang fan for years, but there are several manufactures who make a firmer seat.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:29 PM
redstreetglide
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZenGlide
Every bum is different, but I find the firmer seats are better for me. The soft OEM seats feel good on the showroom floor, but firmer seats tend to give me better tail and back support on longer rides. I've been a Mustang fan for years, but there are several manufactures who make a firmer seat.
absolutely right, it's not always about the padding but more of the fit or contour of the seat.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cass
I had a similar problem when I bought my Yamaha road star in 2005. I bought an aftermarket ultimate seat that was good but still had a problem. I bought a 2010 Ultra Classic and the problem remained. I bought a mustang seat and it got better but I still had a problem. for my 2013 Ultra classic limited, I decided i'd take the plunge and buy a Russell day long seat http://www.day-long.com/ its guaranteed...I can report now that I can ride for a full tank and get back on and ride some more. I've only gone about 450 miles in a day and stopped because that was my destination. there are good aftermarket seats out there. I went as far as going to a pain management clinic that gave me a steroid shot in my tailbone....it helped a season. the only problem with daylong is they aren't going to win a beauty contest but your cheeks will see the difference. other alternatives are HD Hammock and Zeppelin. Some dealers let you borrow a demo seat to try. it makes all the difference in the world when your a$$ aint sore. good luck.
I have to agree with Cass...I've had my day long going on 4 seasons they are very expensive and ugly as hell but for me it's more about ride comfort than looks. You can definitely ride tank to tank on this saddle. Do some research you will never find a bad review about the day long...that I have seen anyway...What makes them so good is that they custom fit it to you and your other half. My wife and I can now do 600 miles days when touring get off for the night and get right back on the next day and do another 600 miles without any discomfort. I would recommend this saddle to anyone who can afford it. I have tried many others, even went as far as sending a seat to mean city cycles but it didn't help out with the pain. The only thing that did was the day long. Good luck and don't waste to much money like myself and others have done on saddles before you go to the day long

Last edited by Road Ranger; 04-01-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:54 PM
azray7
Advanced

Mean City Cycles has my seat right now too. I've been to their shop several times. Great honest people and awesome custom work. The prices are really good as well. Check out their website for pricing and options.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:10 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

May also have to do with the suspension. Better shocks help, alot! Proper seat, backrest, bar combo will make the difference. While Russel is for sure the best, they are ugly and $s. For me, Corbin provides all day comfort.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:43 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,241 Likes on 808 Posts

Is it truly a sore tailbone, or are you using that term more generically to describe a sore or tired butt?

If it really is your coccyx that hurts, and it's only on the bike that it does hurt, look at how you're seating and the saddle.

Sitting upright with your legs under you, roughly like you would sit at a dinner table, reduces pressure on the coccyx, and has your thighs helping to support your weight. If you're sitting on your bike with your legs well out in front, or leaning well back, you're maximizing pressure on your tailbone. Pivot your body weight forward onto your pelvis sitting bones, and let your thighs help support your weight.

As for the seat, a crowned saddle will put maximum pressure on the tailbone, not on the sitting bones of your pelvis. This can be overcome to some degree by either sitting on a donut pad, or scooping out the center section of the seat.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:34 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

seats are a personal thing for sure.....and can be debated on here just like the oil threads . if its a tailbone issue the construction of the day long spreads you out much like sitting on a chair vs. sitting on the ridge line of the stock saddles. you kind of sit on the seat vs. in the seat, and that's not for everybody. when I got mine last season, I went all out and got the heated seat and backrest redone all in leather....I like the feel and breathability of the leather and its not hard to take care of. no pain when I sit on the seat or stand to get off, which I don't really miss. One thing I don't like about Russell is that they need your seat pan, they don't provide them. I happened to have a mustang that I could ride while I sent my pan for my 2013 to the shop location in California. In my opinion, it was the best aftermarket item bought because it allowed me to enjoy the ride. Its a bummer when you buy a $15000, $20000 or even $30000 bike and you can't enjoy it. good luck

Last edited by cass; 04-02-2014 at 07:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Sore tailbone