Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sore tailbone

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Bubbag8tr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azray7
Mean City Cycles has my seat right now too. I've been to their shop several times. Great honest people and awesome custom work. The prices are really good as well. Check out their website for pricing and options.
Allen and the crew at Mean City Cycles must be busy as I just shipped them my seat for mods that are scheduled for Monday. After reading all the positive notes regarding their work, I'm looking forward to seeing how well my seat feels as the stock seat wasn't friendly to me backside!

Old 04-02-2014, 12:14 PM
lorenc
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the best things I did to my bike was to modify the seat. I removed the cover and lifted up the top foam cover. Under the top foam, there is a 2" x 4" depression in the harder foam where my tailbone would contact it. I used a dremel to make that depression deeper by just over 1/2 inch. Replace the top foam and reattach the cover on the seat pan with staples.

I can now ride for hours before any discomfort happens. That's when I add the Airhawk pad.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:27 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Is it truly a sore tailbone, or are you using that term more generically to describe a sore or tired butt?

If it really is your coccyx that hurts, and it's only on the bike that it does hurt, look at how you're seating and the saddle.

Sitting upright with your legs under you, roughly like you would sit at a dinner table, reduces pressure on the coccyx, and has your thighs helping to support your weight. If you're sitting on your bike with your legs well out in front, or leaning well back, you're maximizing pressure on your tailbone. Pivot your body weight forward onto your pelvis sitting bones, and let your thighs help support your weight.

As for the seat, a crowned saddle will put maximum pressure on the tailbone, not on the sitting bones of your pelvis. This can be overcome to some degree by either sitting on a donut pad, or scooping out the center section of the seat.
exactly! The question mark riding posture "?" ...

Old 04-02-2014, 12:34 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

One of the fundamental problems of the riding position on most Harleys is that the rider sits in a very upright position, which inevitably risks applying pressure to the tailbone. One solution is to alter your riding position so you are leaning forward a little, transferring some of your weight onto the undersides of your thighs. That may well involve using bars that move your shoulders and trunk forward a little, so you are not so 'laid back'. In any event, getting your seat custom altered to suit your condition would be a great idea, rather than simply trying ready made seats made for the average butt. Yours plainly ain't average!

Old 04-02-2014, 02:40 PM
camoNchrome
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bicycle seats have that hollow groove down the middle to keep pressure off the nut area. Same concept could apply to the tailbone area for a motorcycle.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:53 PM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

MCC does great work + highly recommend. But, your local dealer should have demo seats avail, why not try one out before you spend anything?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:26 PM
dynarider68
Stage IV

Thank you everyone for your input. I will take everything to heart. I look out my picture window and its snowing like a banshee outside so probably no ridding for a few days, but I do plan to ride to my dealer and try out some demo seats and ride for awhile.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:43 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Is it truly a sore tailbone, or are you using that term more generically to describe a sore or tired butt?

If it really is your coccyx that hurts, and it's only on the bike that it does hurt, look at how you're seating and the saddle.

Sitting upright with your legs under you, roughly like you would sit at a dinner table, reduces pressure on the coccyx, and has your thighs helping to support your weight. If you're sitting on your bike with your legs well out in front, or leaning well back, you're maximizing pressure on your tailbone. Pivot your body weight forward onto your pelvis sitting bones, and let your thighs help support your weight.

As for the seat, a crowned saddle will put maximum pressure on the tailbone, not on the sitting bones of your pelvis. This can be overcome to some degree by either sitting on a donut pad, or scooping out the center section of the seat.
This. Try pushing your handlebars forward... It'll force you to sit up and lean forward a bit. That'll get you up off your tailbone and onto your butt/thighs. Changing seats just treats the symptom; not the cause. Ive found that almost any seat can be comfortable if your posture is correct and your bars, foot position are set up properly. The comon seating position of leaning back with your feet out in front is the absolute worst for long term comfort... Hard on the back, core and azz.... Still see tons of guys riding like this though... They're usually the ones on here asking for more comfy seats, backrests etc. Again its treating the symptom not the cause.... Sit up straight with a slight forward bend at the hips, arms just below shoulder height, elbows slightly bent and you can ride all day sitting on a brick

Old 04-02-2014, 08:29 PM
J_ULTRA
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to your local dealer and demo a "Hammock" seat. no more sore tail bone. The Hammock seat is designed to properly position your butt and thighs so as to reduce pressure on your tailbone and distribute it more evenly to include the thigh area. Works for me. It's also available heated if your rich.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/hammock-rider-seat

Last edited by J_ULTRA; 04-02-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:34 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain

I went through something similar that took me awhile to figure out. I could ride many times with no problem and occasionally I would have a sore tailbone. I could think of nothing that could be causing it, even tried a couple seats and bought a corbin. Even with the new seat occasionally my tailbone "was there" for a day or two after riding.
It ended up being one of my pairs of 501's. Something was cut different with them that when riding pulled down and put pressure on the tailbone. I phased them out with no problem since.

Quick Reply: Sore tailbone