Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N oil filter... stuck! now what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 03:28 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucker99
Where can you get this? I just came back from Autozone and they didn't have it.
I got one at O'Reily's.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:15 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucker99
Where can you get this? I just came back from Autozone and they didn't have it.
Harbor Freight or Northern Tool also has them. There is plenty of room to get it on, and they do work everytime. If I was the OP though I would have punched a hole in the bottom and let it drain, then drive a flatblade through it and work it off.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:39 AM
Rkoetting
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same issue with a K&N on a Ford 7.3 Powerstroke. Last K&N I ever used, Fuggin' nightmare to finally get that POS off. I had jagged metal torn every which way before that bastid finally let loose. And I specifically remembered tightening that filter slightly LESS than was called for! Good luck, and for anyone depending on the K&N "bolthead" made out of Chicom "steel," keep your happy thoughts, you may need them...

Old 06-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Cliff-AZ
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f4dennis
Had it happen to one of my filters, forced a 16 mm socket on instead and was able to break it free.
That's what I was thinking. Hammer a 16 mm on it.

If that doesn't work then hammer a screwdriver through i a place where you can get to it.

Next time, when installing new filter, only hand tighten 1 turn after oiled gasket touches case!!!

Old 06-11-2014, 10:04 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by kishstl
I had that happen once. Used an awl and drove a hole all the way through at an angle that gave me clearance to use the awl handle (or a screwdriver inserted) into the hole to turn it and then pulled it out and spun it off. You may even need to do it a couple of times as it turns to loosen it enough to spin by hand if you don't have a lot of clearance to turn very far.
Yeah that's what I had to do to both my bikes with the factory installed filters, make sure you put a thin layer of oil on the filter gasket and it wont stick like hat again.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:09 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkoetting
Had the same issue with a K&N on a Ford 7.3 Powerstroke. Last K&N I ever used, Fuggin' nightmare to finally get that POS off. I had jagged metal torn every which way before that bastid finally let loose. And I specifically remembered tightening that filter slightly LESS than was called for! Good luck, and for anyone depending on the K&N "bolthead" made out of Chicom "steel," keep your happy thoughts, you may need them...
I've never had the nut collapse on me. One thing I found with filters, if you put em on with a hot engine take it off with a hot engine. Hot install, hot removal,cold install,cold removal. Works every time.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:14 PM
roadkiller99
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Filter STUCK BAD

Originally Posted by kjkustoms
I have always used the K&N oil filter on my FLHX because it was so easy to get off and on with the nut. Until now! Just went to do the first oil change of the year, drained the oil, went to remove the oil filter, used the correct size socket, the "nut" slightly crushed and deformed, now no socket fits. Tried a strap wrench, just no room to turn the handle, I need ideas, anyone ???
" not my bike" If your oil filter is put on so tight or no lube on the seal here is a way to get it off. Drill three holes in the oil filter wrench put three self tapping screws into the oil filter. Apply some heat on the seal side and left hand muscle done.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:49 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,258 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by dochawken
works every time
Works often, but not every time.

it can crush the filter can nicely, which then has it just further crushing and necking the filter can.

and when the filter was put on by mongo, the whole can rips out of the base. Then you get to chisel the base plate off. Which, depending on access, is a real joy of a job.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:54 PM
n5tf
Tourer
Received 184 Likes on 67 Posts

I used a screwdriver on my stuck kn filter. Messy but effective! The next install i was a little lighter on the torque. Now due to disability, i have indy do mine.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:08 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,341 Likes on 2,368 Posts

Hope the OP got the filter off, it's only been 4 1/2 years.

Quick Reply: K&N oil filter... stuck! now what?