Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing all 3 oil holes every 3k is a good thing

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:21 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by orangevette
I wash my hands every time I walk by a sink!
Yeah that, plus now every time I hear water running I gotta pee.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Overly-frequent fluid changes are just another way to throw money away with no real benefit or, in some cases, are another way to give money to the next owner--again for no real benefit.

Unless you're going to own your motorcycle for the hundreds of thousands of miles it will take for the difference in oil change intervals to make enough of a difference to be felt in your wallet, there's no real point.

To put it another way, if you spend an extra $1,500 on fluids over a period of time where you'd have suffered no failures even if you haven't, then you've made a very poor investment.

The reason race bikes are changed after a race are because they encountered very harsh conditions, they ran richer, there was far more blow-by, and because in a race you want every single seemingly insignificant improvement that could make the 0.001 second difference beween first and second place.

Not to mention that the whole point of having an oil filter is to avoid problems due to the "fibers, fragments, etc." mentioned previously.

Last edited by Ovaltine Jenkins; 05-22-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:40 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYER
Still trying to get the dipstick into that third hole, but resistance happens, any advice?
Take it to an experienced indy! Problem solved

Old 05-22-2014, 11:41 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 498 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsMe
Me? I try not to pretend I am smarter then the engineers designing the motors and change my own oil at their recommended levels. In the same regard if a doctor told me to take a pill three times a day, I do not take it 5 times a day thinking I am smarter. .
+1

Old 05-22-2014, 01:24 PM
skiddd
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glider69
I'm sorry i cannot remember, but it was very hot. Thats like trying to remember how many gallons of gas i put in my truck last time i filled up. If it will make all you guys rest at ease I'll check it next time it gets hot out here and post it.

How about just admitting that you were talking out your *** and move on? there's no WAY IN HELL YOUR OIL WAS BOILING, THAT WOULD MEAN IT WAS OVER 500 DEGREES! do a little google search on the subject, you'll see how stupid you look................ there's nothing wrong with being wrong or even trying to appear smart. its when you don't know when to give up that kills ya..........

Old 05-22-2014, 01:27 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skiddd
How about just admitting that you were talking out your *** and move on? there's no WAY IN HELL YOUR OIL WAS BOILING, THAT WOULD MEAN IT WAS OVER 500 DEGREES! do a little google search on the subject, you'll see how stupid you look................ there's nothing wrong with being wrong or even trying to appear smart. its when you don't know when to give up that kills ya..........
Maybe he was running synth H20 in his sump. That would explain the boiling issue.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:29 PM
glider69
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skiddd
Again I never said the oil was 500 degrees. Man your an *******. Are you going to americade by any chance ill catch up with you there and see if you wanna run your mouth!

Old 05-22-2014, 01:34 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

It's on now, keyboard tough guys just stepped it up.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:47 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glider69
Again I never said the oil was 500 degrees.
You did say it was boiling. So, that must mean... Oh never mind.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:55 PM
jgrohio
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
It's on now, keyboard tough guys just stepped it up.
Keep it up and I'll turn on the cap lock

Quick Reply: changing all 3 oil holes every 3k is a good thing