Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning the Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:40 AM
MikeV3334
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning the Bike

OK so I've read through a bunch of threads on this topic, and know it is wise to get the dust off the paint before rubbing down the Bike with a polish, wax or the like. Failure to do so is supposed to cause swirls in the paint.

So yes you could blow the dust off or wash it with a hose. But I have been using something else if I want to do it without water. There are these Swifer cleaning products, one is the swiffer duster. This thing picks up the dust really well, is feather soft, and you can quickly go over the bike to knock the dust off, just to get it off, for a quick clean or before using some type of polishing product.

They have cheap replaceable heads on them. I keep a handle and the replaceable duster heads in a bag on the bike for quick cleaning. I have heard others use the California duster, but that would eventually get loaded up with dirt and dust and may eventually start to scratch the paint?

Does anyone else use this? Is it a bad idea? The only thing I could think of is not to use it on a hot bike around the motor & exhaust.

http://www.swiffer.com/products/swiffer-360-dusters

What you all think??

Old 06-03-2014, 06:44 AM
gnewman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never thought of using those. Not a bad idea and don't think it would cause any damage. I use pledge to clean mine between washes. Just don't use the citrus pledge, it attracts bees.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:57 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeV3334
There are these Swifer cleaning products, one is the swiffer duster. This thing picks up the dust really well, is feather soft, and you can quickly go over the bike to knock the dust off, just to get it off, for a quick clean or before using some type of polishing product.

Does anyone else use this? Is it a bad idea? The only thing I could think of is not to use it on a hot bike around the motor & exhaust.

http://www.swiffer.com/products/swiffer-360-dusters

What you all think??
I think that 's a GREAT idea!

Old 06-03-2014, 08:00 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always use a spray polish. It only takes a couple minutes, and it adds another layer of shine. I don't see why the swiffer wouldn't work, just don't do it in public or they may yank your man card.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:36 AM
northeimcustom
Tourer

im guessing the swiffer is similiar to the california car duster? maybe with not as much static cling action? idk?

i use mcguairs products and the ultimate detailer spray (i think) states that you can spray it right on top of the dust, no big deal.....

from the website: '' Safely removes dust and surface contaminants in-between washing''

Old 06-03-2014, 08:44 AM
CapeGlide
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried many of the spray and clean products and most do a pretty good job….however, I had heard about the discontinued Honda Spray and Clean and recently found the Original formula is still being made. I picked up two cans and I have to tell you….nothing comes close, this stuff is the best I've ever used…goes on easy and comes of quick….the bike looks fantastic. I use it with a micro-fiber cleaning towel and couldn't be happier.

http://www.originalbikespirits.com/p...leaner-polish/

Old 06-03-2014, 09:37 AM
joltster
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Purple Slice if the bike is not very dirty. Removes bugs and dust with no trouble and makes the chrome shine. You can use it just about anywhere on the bike. Hot or cold pipes. Check the web site out, it is really good stuff.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:59 AM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by CapeGlide
I've tried many of the spray and clean products and most do a pretty good job….however, I had heard about the discontinued Honda Spray and Clean and recently found the Original formula is still being made. I picked up two cans and I have to tell you….nothing comes close, this stuff is the best I've ever used…goes on easy and comes of quick….the bike looks fantastic. I use it with a micro-fiber cleaning towel and couldn't be happier.

http://www.originalbikespirits.com/p...leaner-polish/

I use a duster and bike spirits too, works great.. I like the idea of the Swiffer though, gonna try it out today.............

Old 06-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

I swifter would be fine and I use one myself. The trick is to have a good coat of wax on the bike to begin with. If your wax is worn off you will just put micro scratches in the paint. yes they could be buffed out but it's good to have a base wax to begin with.

My driveway is 4 miles long, dirt and gravel the entire way. I go extremely slow (10 mph) but by the time i get home or out to the pavement my bike looks like it's been sitting outside for a year.
A swifter gets 75% of the major dust off.

OS

Old 06-03-2014, 11:32 AM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used the California Duster for years on my bikes along with Plexus spray between waxes. The duster works better the dirtier it gets. You can use the Plexus on the entire bike, including the chrome and windshield..

Quick Reply: Cleaning the Bike