Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chilly & Rainy Rides

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:52 PM
grinner
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Chilly & Rainy Rides

Oh, hell. I'm hooked. With fewer than 300 miles on my sparking new EG Classic I went for a chilly Wisconsin ride tonight in the dark in sprinkling rain. This Saturday I have a 200-mile ride planned. It's going to be dry weather, but high of 40. I need to be 100 miles away at 10am, so it's gonna be cold! A couple questions:

1) MAINTENACE: Are these bikes really designed to run in the rain? Do I need to lubricate anything more frequently now that I'm not just a fair weather rider? Do you do anything immediately after a rainy ride other than wipe off the seat and dash? (okay, that's 3 questions, sorry)

2) COMFORT: I don't think I'm quite ready for chaps. I've only had a Harley for 3 weeks and I'd feel like a poser wearing them. Any favorite alternatives to keep legs warm and dry? Long underwear, jeans, and rain pants? Or should I just get some chaps? My thighs and privates are still cold from tonight's ride in jeans. Are chaps for riders or only for posers? Brand new chaps on a brand new Harley? I dunno about that.

Thanks,
Grinner

Old 04-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Chilly & Rainy Rides

1) I clean mine as soon as it cools off after a ride in the rain. The main thing is do not let anything touch the pipes while it's hot and wet. I ruined a manifold pipe on my Suzuki cruiser once by trying to wipe it down while it was still hot.

2) Chaps do actually have a purpose, I wouldn't wear them if they didn't. Once you wear 'em on half a dozen rides they won't look new.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:40 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I wear First Gear Textile overpants. They are 100% waterproof with a zip out quilted liner. They will definately keep your equipment dry and warm. I also wear a Dakota Power Trip textile jacket. It is made of the same material as the first gear pants with a zip out quilted liner and is also 100% waterproof. With these 2 pieces of riding gear I have all the bases covered from cool/dry to cold/wet.

IMO chaps are useless in the cold and rain.

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb.n...C?opendocument

Old 04-02-2007, 11:59 PM
bobsev
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry about the wet stuff. Your bike will just think it's being washed for a really long time. So far I havenever had any mechanical issues or problems resulting from getting wet.
I wear chaps and they are plenty warm down to around 35 degrees but getting wet in a hard rain changes everything.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to at least rinse the bike off as soon as possible after a sloppy ride. Rinsing isn't as good as using soap, but sometimes it's all you can do. "As soon as possible" might be a few days if it's below freezing. Pay attention to the wisdom of letting the bike cool down. Never use a hose with a sprayer head around your handlebar controls or turn signals. They seem to resist rain pretty well, but they can't deal with a pressure stream from odd angles.

I can't say enough good things about electrically heated riding gear. I have an electricjacket liner and gloves that can make me sweat at 80mph in below-freezing weather. I'm thinking about getting the socks next season.

I always wear chaps when I ride -- if anyone doesn't like it, they can kiss my butt -- that's why they don't cover there. I've never had the sense that they're all that useful as a warming device -- I use Hot Chillis windproof long johns under my jeans for that. But the chaps protect my legs from road debris and they protect my jeans or whatever pants I'm wearing from road spray. I have worn a suit under my chaps and armored jacket and with a few zips and change of shoes go from grimy biker to expensive software consultant (with helemt hair.)

If chaps ain't your cup of tea, there are both textile and leather leg-zip over-pants to be had.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 153 Posts

I started out wearing chaps and have since gone to a pair of leather overpants. I will never wear chaps again. No reason to only keep part of your lower body covered imo.

As for wet weather riding, get a rainsuit. I have a pretty inexpensive 2 piece suit that works great. You would be surprised how warm a rainsuit will keep you as well. I left Reno one morning in about 38 degree weather. Not a cloud in the sky. Stopped in Stateline for gas and put the rainsuit on just to stay that much warmer. It works.

As for being considered a poser/rub/wannabe I say FTW. Do you really care what others think if they are passing judgement simply on what you are wearing?

Old 04-03-2007, 12:34 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chaps really do help to keep you warm. Get some rain gear you can put on over the chaps and leather jacket if it starts raining. I just tried mine out last weekend. It aint fun in the rain, but it sure helps to be dry.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:42 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

I would rather be a live, in my own skin rub with chaps on that a biker look a like with road rash in the event of a fall. I like my chaps. I could care less what anyone thinks. They are not only warm, they help ensure a layer of protection between my skin and that asphalt we glide across.
get a rain suit and put it on BEFORE it starts raining, thats my $.02. Make sure you have something to cover your boots!

Old 04-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Mikind7
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Never underestimate the weather !! or the power of trash bags and duck tape in a pinch!! hey!! it works.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

Chaps and rain gear are a must. This might sound stupid, but I wear my rain pants over my jeans then I put on my chaps. This keeps my guys warm and dry and the rain pants don't flap in the wind. The way the rain pants are designed, I wouldn't be able to put them on over my boots/chaps so that's how I wear em.

Quick Reply: Chilly & Rainy Rides