Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets - DOT and Non DOT - what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:59 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets - DOT and Non DOT - what's the deal?

I have always gone with a DOT helmet. But on another thread I read about carbon fiber helmets. Looking at the pricing (I think I got it from RanD's thread) it said that all the ACC (advanced carbon composite) were NOT DOT. Are some DOT? So, which do you get, DOT or non?

When I got run over back in 03 by a red light runner, My helmet (it was DOT) was knocked slap off my head and when I hit the ground my head wasn't protected, No brain damage, but I got scars on my forehead - makes me look to a tough biker, haha. Yep, I can can laugh now, because I can see the alternative. How it got knocked off, I'll never know. There's no reason for me to have survived, but for the grace of God. People said they saw it go flying off. So, I figure a non DOT helmet would have served me just as well of that DOT one. Is it true that not DOT helmets are sought after because they are so light. I think I'd like a light one because I figure it wouldn't put a strain on my neck muscles during a long ride.

I also have the feeling that had I been wearing a non DOT helmet, my insurance may have baulked. When I read the officer's report, when it asked "Was rider/passenger wearing a helmet?" it was checked yes. But I don't think it specified a DOT helmet or not.

Can any LEO's tell me the import of DOT vs non DOT when you write up an accident report?

Hack

Old 04-03-2007, 05:26 AM
kingtut73
Cruiser
Default RE: Helmets - DOT and Non DOT - what's the deal?

i think we need to ask ourselveswhy only DOT? why not Snell or BSI whats makes them better and safer than dot? how do they measure that?

and yes THANK GOD you are still here to laugh an write about it.

Ride in good health

TUT....

Old 04-03-2007, 07:44 AM
pjbolo
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I just ordered a DOT helmet from acc, it should be here in a couple of days..after speaking with one of there reps on the phone, i asked the difference in the DOT/NON DOT helmets and he told medifference is the padding inside of the helmet...DOT has more padding...

Old 04-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Longtimegone
Road Captain

I just got a DOT helmet from ACC. Very comfortable and lightweight. Their non-DOT helmets have passed all of the tests except the spear (penetration) test. Mention that you are a member of HDForums and you will quickly get 10% off.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:04 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

I always thought dot ment the helmet was subjected to a sieres of tests which are a closely gaurded secret? And non dot just ment that it could be better or useally worse but never had the test officially performed?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:33 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is some info on snell rated helmets:
http://www.smf.org/
I cant say that i have ever seen a snell rated helmet in stores. I agree with you...if i have to wear a helmet then its going to be at least a DOT helmet. North Carolina has a all rider helmet law, but when I go the bike week, the helmet comes off for tooling around town. Once on the open road, i put the helmet on, even in non-helmet law states. I cant find it anywhere, but i do remember readin on the web that snell certifed helmets cost more than DOT, due to the testing methods. Years ago when i bought my first bike, I was in the seabees (navy) and we were required to wear full face helmets on base. So i go to get a full face and there are 3 models...poly, fiberglass, adn kevlar. I asked the salesman which is best. He said depend son how much you want to spend. The poly was about 50$, the fiberglass about 125$ and the kevlar around 300$. I got the 125$ model. Asked him the difference in quality...he said they are ALL guaranteed for ONE crash!

Old 04-03-2007, 08:33 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

found this on the carbon DOT helmets
http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/dot.htm

Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks jbhawley,

This was the same web site I saw in another post. After doing some reading within their web site, it looks good to me. I've bookmarked their web site and will probably buy my next helmet from them.

Hack

Old 04-03-2007, 10:15 AM
beyondthepaint
Cruiser

I sell helmets at my store, and just so I don't sound like an idiot when I'm talking helmets, I've done some research. The Snell web-site is informative...... from their point of view, but check this out, it can answer a lot of questions http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...helmet_review/
Its a lot of reading, but it sure makes sense to me, especially the part about what type of crash you are most likely to have. I wonder if some of you college students may want to do an updated version of this study. I'm sure there are many riders who would want to know facts like these, especially when buying head protection.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:19 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I have been a firefighter now for just over 34 years - I have seen my share of accidents of all types. Seatbelts can save lifes and reduce injuries - However, their are many accidents where seatbelts will NOT save you - its just that bad - your toast....... However, If I am moving down the highway at 70+ and see Iam about to either get hit or head off the road - I want my seatbelt ON -
Same goes for helmets - I have seen bike wrecks where I don't care if they had a helmet or not - your dead - Most of the time however, the helmet keeps the head from being ground down or taking a hit on the road.... I had a guy fall off a Bicycle and Not have a helmet on - the back of his head look like liver/hamburger, he was messed up - I have also seen bikers do either a high or lowside and the human face vs gravel/payment does not look good - a simple helment/full face and the biker would have walked away...
I feel wearing a helmet is a "choice" I do not like a state telling me I Must wear a helmet - I choose to wear a full face - and thats my choice - Ride a M/C can be dangerous - YOU make the choice - just understand the risks you are taking.... thats life...

Sit at home and play it safe and be bored - go out and enjoy life/world and Live... We all die in the end.....

Quick Reply: Helmets - DOT and Non DOT - what's the deal?