Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Here ! UC to RK? Been there?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,914 Likes on 2,813 Posts
Default Help Here ! UC to RK? Been there?

Hello Folks,
Really like to hear feedback here from anyone with similar experience.
Almost on the verge of trading my '09 Ultra for a '14 Road King. There are so many aspects I like about both bikes, and after some years behind fairings I'm looking for a different experience, and really like the '14 RKs. But I'm cautious.
Have you driven a batwing bike before and decided to go the Road King route? Any comments?
Thanks! I'll be watching closely for information and experience.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:40 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member

Let me add: Wife doesn't ride so much anymore. Average ride for me is 100 to 200+ ml frequently. Don't bar hop but I do like my tunes. Thanks

Old 06-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

On a 13 King now from an Ultra and had a King before that....the problem is the Ultra was too top heavy for me...I will ride the King till I go to a trike...

Old 06-27-2014, 05:50 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member

The full dressed Ultra is heavy. Riding my Son's Deuce I have a blast.
I assume then you like your RK vs UC?

Old 06-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had an '05 Electra Glide Classic prior to this '09 RK. The EG was a great bike, I loved it. But when the Electra Glide was totaled in a crash in Nov '08 I went with the RK to replace it. I've LOVED the RK ever since and have had NO REGRETS in making the switch. I would get a RK again to replace this one if I had to.

Personally I think the RK is THE ideal of the H-D's. It can be morphed from a stripped down solo-seat retro looking cruiser to a full-on Touring bike with TourPak, windshield and GPS in about 10 min (5 minutes if you don't have to switch from a solo seat to a dual touring seat). I like my bike stripped down most of the time, but if I want to take a big trip then I'll put the windshield on, mount the detachable TourPak and GPS and be on my way. I also have the passenger backrest and rear luggage rack too if I want that for shorter trips with the wife where a TourPak isn't really needed.

When I had my Electra Glide I found myself keeping it stripped down to as "minimal" as I could about 80-90% of the time, only using the TourPak on trips or to go shopping. I even wished I could run without the batwing at times - but that's far too much trouble for me to want to change, so I left it on of course. I like a lean basic, classic old-school motorcycle. With the RK I have this but can have an "almost" Electra Glide minus the instruments in the batwing.

I really don't miss the batwing. I run 5-6 months of the year without the windshield, only putting it on when it gets colder. The RK windshield seems to deflect just as much wind as the batwing and is removable which I like of course. The instruments are superfluous to me. Nice to have, but not actually crucial in reality. Music? A good set of earbuds and my iPhone with FF helmet gives me better sound than any batwing speakers can give me. In fact I actually don't find myself even listening to music or anything other than my own quiet thoughts as I ride - part of the therapy! So I don't miss the stereo really at all. If I do want tunes then earbuds and iPhone work great with either 3/4 or FF helmet. Half helmet probably not though unless you have ear curtains on the side perhaps.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
....Personally I think the RK is THE ideal of the H-D's. It can be morphed from a stripped down solo-seat retro looking cruiser to a full-on Touring bike with TourPak, windshield and GPS in about 10 min (5 minutes if you don't have to switch from a solo seat to a dual touring seat). I like my bike stripped down most of the time, but if I want to take a big trip then I'll put the windshield on, mount the detachable TourPak and GPS and be on my way........
I have a similar experience to this. I like the windshield as we have small dog sized grasshoppers here that will splatter their yellow internals all over your clothes when they hit you at highway speed. Around town, I'll take the windshield off for running around, it really transforms the look of the bike with the windshield off and helps keep you a bit cooler. I do miss the windshield bag though when it's off.

Since I dig my tunes as well, I purchased some bluetooth earbuds and use those while streaming music from the phone. I don't have a tour pack because I've found I can get everything I need into the saddle bags and if necessary can throw another bag on the back. I did a little work to my suspension by replacing the springs in the forks and new valves to get rid of a mushy front end. I also took off the rear air shocks and replaces with JRI Bs. Adding a Jagg 10 row oil cooler was the latest mod for me because it's hot hot hot down here.

I think you'll really like a RK, it really is the best all-around bike.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member

Great comments rwhisen and Arizona......Thanks!
Others?

Old 06-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I had a RK years ago. Then I went to a batwing and loved it. A year ago I got the "brilliant" idea to trade my Ultra in for a RK. I was miserable, after having the fairing (tunes, protection,gauges). I couldn't wait to get back home where I belong. If you are predominantly riding solo, why not look at a SG?

Old 06-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks Cowboy Rob,
With a detachable tour pack, I can get pretty close to a SG now. Actually looking to move away from the batwing.....therein lies the tough decision.....

Old 06-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why don't you rent one for a couple of days? Make a conditional deal with your dealer and rent one for a couple of days. If you like it, you have a done deal in place. If you don't, you're out a couple hundred.

Quick Reply: Help Here ! UC to RK? Been there?