Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Limited WTF!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 06:40 AM
bpd138
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here in Massachusetts you can have a police officer come to your house and do a vin verification check. Your insurance company should have a form for this.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:17 AM
harleymojoman
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question State Farm behind the times

I had the same problem with State Farm when I tried to switch my new FLHXS to them (6/14). They admitted after some trouble that their database was not up to date as they only had the FLHX in their records. BTW, I decided not to go with them after all this. Just in case there was a claim filed, "they might not have ME in their database"!

Old 07-26-2014, 07:49 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

State Farm is a good outfit. I've used them for my bikes and cars for many, many years now.

Email them a photo of the VIN number plate on your bike, then let them figure it out.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteF
Have you registered the bike with DMV? Do you have title or just the manufacturers certificate of origin? You say you have the paperwork from Harley, so I'm assuming you have the certificate of origin. Normally DMV will take that from you and issue a title when you register a vehicle. State Farm is probably connecting to the DMV database looking for the VIN. If the bike is not registered or no title has been issued to replace the certificate of origin the VIN won't be in the DMV database; hence, State Farm will say it doesn't exist.
I can't register without proof of insurance . Insurance first, then register with the DMV

Old 07-26-2014, 10:04 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
Try a different ins co. Maybe the underwriter is a dumb ***.
An underwriter a dumbass.....How could that be?

Old 07-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Most motorcycle policies state they will only insure a vehicle listed on the policy. If they can't list it then you theoretically could have an issue.

Your wife maybe right on this one. If you traded your old bike in and this is the only bike you have I doubt they could deny your claim but they could try, don't wreck it.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:27 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,486 Likes on 1,543 Posts

state farm tried this on me too! i've been with state farm for 35 years and after they tried to charge an outragous price for my new bike i called progressive and insured two bikes for less then state farm wanted for one. i'll give them another shot at it when my bikes are due again. i'm going with who ever has the best price.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:35 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,627 Posts

You bought the rare "ghost" model so...it's a limited edition...make sure you hike the coverage.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:49 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I had the same problem back in 2010 when I bought my other Limited. State Farm couldn't find it in their database. I was at the agents office in person when this happened. Agent called their help line and rep told agent to go ahead and right it up and they pushed it through. He said their database wasn't up to date on the new models. Rep had to fill in all the data by hand as the database wouldn't autofill for them. Didn't have that problem on 14 but did take two weeks to get the paperwork straightened out and get my card. I was assured I was covered. I bought the 14 Thursday before Easter and they were closed on Friday to Monday. I went on trip on Monday for week and half was reason for problem. Finally got the business agent at the dealership to fax the papers to them and supply the extra information I didn't have.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:15 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

I have always purchased my vehicles where about a week later I get the plates from the dealer...no issues. I never knew how many people in the "chain" can screw things up.

Just about two months ago I purchased a new HD while I was out of state and learned so much...

I had to take my HD certificate of origin and all the other paperwork I never saw before to the tax assessor.

They made a lot of mistakes. They tried to charge me an extra 1600 dollars in sales tax. I had to explain things to the powers in charge of getting my title. And they still didn't get it right the first time....I had to go back a few hours later for some corrections.

Guess my point is a clerk along the line can enter the wrong info and really screw things up...

It shouldn't happen...be it the insurance company or the state DMV/Tax assessor...but it does...and it sucks.

Quick Reply: 2014 Limited WTF!!!!