Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Harley dealer what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Feroce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Harley dealer what do I do?

I have an 2005 EG Standard bought in June with a Big Bore II kit installed at the dealer I bought it from. I have a primary chain case leak and the dealer closer to me will not warranty it (I have bought a LOT of stuff from them $1,000.00's).

The book says: "When installed by an authorized Harley - Davidson Dealer, these kits do not impact the vehicle's limited warranty".

To paraphrase what has happened.

For three days we have been fighting red faced yelling and all with this dealer, Service manager., parts manager, mechanic not including all the miles I have driven.

They will not warranty the other dealers work and I have to take it back to them to get it fixed.

I void the warranty when they installed the big bore kit and NO dealer has to work on it, "take it back to them to get it fixed."

Bottom line is I am going to take it back to the dealer I bought it from to get it fixed.

Should I call Harley Davidson and tell them, I am not going to go back anyway. In other words does Harley Davidson even care???????

Ed

Old 09-08-2005, 11:18 PM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain
Default RE: Bad Harley dealer what do I do?

My experiance with HD dealers are that there are only two kinds....good ones and bad ones. If the closer dealer won't honor the work of another dealer, then it's time to move back to where you bought it and save your energy for other things. You can try to get ahold of someone in corporate and see if they can provide any assistance, but I know these dealers and they are all on their own program. No similaries or continutiy between any of them.

Sorry about your bum deal....good luck though.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/494/488E504989D941E3AC661551DC8C7EF8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-09-2005, 12:49 AM
oldschool
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

It's too bad they won't work with you. I have been told by my dealer that other dealers have the option to refer you back to the original dealer when major work like a 95 inch kit is done. Basically means, as far a the warranty is concern the dealer that put the 95 inch kit will honor the Harley warranty if anything goes wrong due to the kit. It sucks. Yet your problem like a primary case leak is so small (hoping it is only a gasket issue) it should have not been an issue. It’s a freaking gasket change. Give the owner of the dealership call and and maybe he will take care of your concerns. Be sure to let him know how much money you spent at his dealership. Maybe you can get somewhere with him (I hope). They usually work with you but its like luvmyflhtcui said you have your good one and you have your bad one. If the owner won't honor the warranty then I would be doing business elsewhere. Good luck to you.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:22 AM
Feroce
Cruiser

At this point I would not recommend anyone to buy a Harley when the dealer does NOT have to honor your factory warranty.

That is like buying a Chevy and being told they will not honor your warranty because you did not buy it there. The item we are all talking about is used for transportation. I could understand it if the dealer "Hopped it up" with his own kit, but to install a factory item on the bike that is covered by warranty..........not cool. This dealer told me if the cam goes on my bike the only dealer that will work on the bike is the one that installed. This is because any other dealer has to get his money from the original dealer that installed the part to get paid for the job and the other dealer will not pay them, the factory will not pay the dealer that does the work. I will call Harley Davidson Customer Relations tomorrow.

Ed

Old 09-09-2005, 10:43 AM
MOking
Tourer

What happens if you moved or the installing dealer goes out of business. Sounds like Harley is asking for a class action suit from someone.

I wonder what the small print says on the warranty and why dealers don't disclose those facts prior to doing work and/or selling the bikes.

Old 09-09-2005, 10:56 AM
SCBGR
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just curious as to why didnt you buy the bike from the closer dealer ???

Old 09-09-2005, 12:51 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I understand, the dealerships are allotted a certain number of bikes by the Motor Company and that number is based on sales, service, and of course, customer satisfaction. They do not like getting calls from the Company on behalf of a customer that took the time to call Milwaukee. I would definitely call customer service in Milwaukee.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:55 PM
nfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have heard from a couple of riders here in MN that dealers are waiving the ENTIRE warranty if a cam goes in.. No matter who put it in.. I didn't like the sound of that either, but the people here are just waiting until their warranty's are up, and doing it.. But for an extended warranty, that's a LONG time!!!

-NFE

Old 09-09-2005, 04:21 PM
brianseay
Tourer

I know that when I bought my 05 Ultra and had the big bore kit put in I was told that it would void the warranty. They even showed me in the SE parts book where it said it would void the warranty. The dealer told me that if anything happened to mine that they would take care of it and that if anything happened out on the road to have the servicing dealer give them a call first before they done anything on it. that way they could try and work something out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1518/A6AE0F65A4304C1AAE8573033F9F84A2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: brianseay

I know that when I bought my 05 Ultra and had the big bore kit put in I was told that it would void the warranty. They even showed me in the SE parts book where it said it would void the warranty. The dealer told me that if anything happened to mine that they would take care of it and that if anything happened out on the road to have the servicing dealer give them a call first before they done anything on it. that way they could try and work something out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1518/A6AE0F65A4304C1AAE8573033F9F84A2.jpg[/IMG]
I was told the same thing reguarding the Race Tuner I had installed.

Quick Reply: Bad Harley dealer what do I do?