Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

class action lawsuit against the moco...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:25 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by davemc
No, he can't. You cannot run a liquid-cooled engine without coolant unless you want some catastrophic damage (warpage, etc.). I'm guessing that has something to do with why he filed the lawsuit.
Motorcycle Consumer News Vol. 44 No. 11 (November 2013) page 12: "The specific percentage of the cooling duties split between air and liquid was not available, but according to H-D engineers, the motor is all but completely air-cooled, and is quite capable of running for extended periods without coolant in the system."

Rider Magazine December 2013 page 24-25: "According to Matt Hoffman, senior project engineer at H-D, the percentage of total cooling accounted for by the Twin-Cooled system depends on operating conditions, with liquid cooling providing roughly 25 percent of total cooling at highway speeds and 85 percent of the total at idle. "combining the affects of air and liquid cooling allows us to optimize the performance of the Twin-Cooled system and still maintain the look, sound and feel of our Twin Cam engine", said Hoffman. And should the Twin-Cooled system spring a leak or the water pump fail, the engine will run with air-cooling alone to reach service under its own power."

Old 09-03-2014, 07:38 AM
ColoFXDC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lawsuit should of went against the hack stealership. Too bad it would of went into arbitration with a stealership funded arbiter if it did...

Harley has TSB's and internal bulletins to repair issues, that the hack stealership techs are either too stupid to, or they don't know how to read them.

This is true with any stealership or manufacturer... Lemon law and flat rate go hand in hand....

http://systemmechanic.wordpress.com/2010/08/15/mechanics-lemon-law-flat-rate-pay-system/

Old 09-03-2014, 08:03 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Mr Okon is sadly typical of the modern American "biker", unlike the real American bikers that could handle life as it comes, the new age "biker" whines and snivels and runs to a lawyer or calls the cops when things don't go his way.

The Dripper Glide is a new product that's having some minor first edition issues with the unnecessary cooling system and Mr Okon can't figure out that it'll get fixed as soon as they figure out how to fix it, or that he can drain and shut the system down and continue to enjoy his motorcycle without any problems until they come up with a fix for it.

This snivelin' little weasel would have lost his mind had he bought a new Harley in the late 70's or early 80's and had to deal with all of the issues they had in those days....and yet, all of us guys who were riding them back in those days managed to have a damn good time with them.

The pussification of the American Biker is truly upon us.
Or maybe he is just a fed up consumer that is tired of spending his hard earned money on sh.t that these corporations push as "products". Its about time someone took a stand against the inferior quality of products that comes from the moco nowadays. If you guys dealt with it 30 years ago, then fine, thats your side of the issue. If you had taken a stance against this 30 years ago, what do you think the bikes would be like now? Probably not as many issues and half *** bull crap that we still deal with to this day.

Mark my words...if Harley keeps catering to the "hardcore" bikers or "real" bikers that "deal with it" or the dying generation of "baby boomers", they will soon be bankrupt. The new "pussified" generation of bikers will not stand for this much longer, especially seeing the products coming out from Indian and Victory. If the moco keeps it up...mark my words...they will cease to make a profit as the primary supplier of motorcycles to the world. The same issues GM had that sent them into bankruptcy will be the same issues that HD has. Dont think it can happen??? Relive the auto industry back in 2007/2008.....consumers were fed up with the sh.t American products at that point. Couple that with the other "internal" issues and you had an american auto industry in shambles. And dont try to use that "bad economy" crap argument either...because Toyota made record profits in the u.s. at that time....because they sold a more superior product. There's a reason why I say the 2012-2013 bikes are the most reliable that the moco ever built. Took em that long to figure out that platform...so it will take at least 30 years for them to get this "water cooled" system figured out too. By that time, all of the "non-pussified" bikers will be dead and gone.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:18 AM
2PawsRiver
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Holy Crap....46,000 dollars for a motorcycle.....and your supposed to just accept that it's got problems, or your a wuss.

46,000 for a motorcycle.....answers my question on how Harley stays in business.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:59 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Not having first-hand experience with what really happened and having no information other than what is listed in the news, I think you would need an objective third party to hear both sides of the issue, let everyone plead their story, and try to reach an objective conclusion about who is responsibile for what and if the guy deserves any further services from the seller....oh, wait..hold on....that's what civil courts do and why they exist.

If I purchased a $40,000 motorcycle, car, dog, cat, TV, whatever, that continued to have issues without any resolution or assurances, I would not waste my time or money trying to figure it out. I would do the same thing in a heartbeat.

On another note, someone who has the disposable income to purchase a $40,000 CVO certainly is fairly comfortable financially. I therefore find it hard to conclude the guy is looking for a quick dollar by suing HD. It is quite possible that somehow, they ticked the guy off enough that he said, OK lets do this the hard way then.

We all know how some dealers can be, whether it's cars, trucks, motorcycles, whatever. Some are good, some will just provide bare minimal assistance when you have issues. Others don't want to see you again once you buy the goods and will do everything they can to try not to have to expend any effort or money to fix or replace something that is defective. If that happened here is not for me to decide. Give everyone their say and let the court decide.

Those that say deal with it on your own terms and not bring it to the courts, that is their right to do so as well. Its your bike, you are certainly entitled to deal with it how you wish.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:59 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver
Holy Crap....46,000 dollars for a motorcycle.....

46,000 for a motorcycle.....answers my question on how Harley stays in business.
Where did you see 46 grand?

Old 09-03-2014, 10:03 AM
KMC1
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think this lawsuit has legs. I understand that HIS motorcycle (CVO Limited) has a chronic leak that seems to be hard to solve, but how do they successfully claim that this is a Class Actionable suit?

Am I just totally out of the loop on this? I've heard of a couple people having some leak issues, that seem to be sorted out, and I just bought a '14 Limited and have 1200 miles on it with no leaks (or other problems) myself.

Is there really a massive quality issue going on with all the Twin Cool 110's and it just doesn't affect the 103's so that's why I'm not aware of it?

If this is a massive quality issue as they are alleging, I'd like to get some more info on it if anyone knows.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Where did you see 46 grand?
If you read the copy of the suit in post 107 of this thread, the suit claims he paid $46,000 with total expenses trying to get this fixed exceeding $50,000.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:26 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Some of those CVO's are upwards of 50K, depending on what options or accessories are added. There is a new Road Glide CVO at the dealer here with a sticker of $52K.

I admit a bit of jealousy for someone being able to afford it. And what is expensive is relative. But I look at that price and think, that's just insane. It's a motorcycle, not a Porsche.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:29 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by KMC1
I don't think this lawsuit has legs. I understand that HIS motorcycle (CVO Limited) has a chronic leak that seems to be hard to solve, but how do they successfully claim that this is a Class Actionable suit?

Am I just totally out of the loop on this? I've heard of a couple people having some leak issues, that seem to be sorted out, and I just bought a '14 Limited and have 1200 miles on it with no leaks (or other problems) myself.

Is there really a massive quality issue going on with all the Twin Cool 110's and it just doesn't affect the 103's so that's why I'm not aware of it?

If this is a massive quality issue as they are alleging, I'd like to get some more info on it if anyone knows.
No massive issue. In fact no issue at all. There WAS back in september 2013 when this guy started the suit but he didn't have the patience to let H-D sort it out with the new filler neck.

Check out the poll I started here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...s-history.html

21 out of 21 Twin-Cooled owners so far have responded (in the one hour the poll as been up). All 21 claim they are not CURRENTLY experiencing leaks on their twin-cooled bikes.

(Note: one guy voted YES incorrectly and noted that in the comments)

Quick Reply: class action lawsuit against the moco...