Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

'17 Triglide General ???s

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 06:07 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts
Default '17 Triglide General ???s

Anyone here riding a new TriGlide?

Howz the heat issues compared to ther earlier models?

How do you like the performance of the stock bike and new M8 motor?

Any changes you think are noteworthy ..... both good and bad?

My bride of 27 years really likes the TriGlide and says she would start riding with me again with something this comfy.

I own a couple of Pans and a Shovel so, for me, this is a really big step forward.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:20 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Kinna early for any one to answer those questions....
And if someone does answer them, The might still be a little Giddy with the new ride .... Takes a while for the Giddy to ware off and the Warts to appear....

The following users liked this post:
Recan (02-13-2017)
Old 09-08-2016, 06:47 PM
motordad
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just recently bought a 2017 Tri-Glide and will try to answer your questions objectively.

Heat seems to be a non-issue. Hard to compare because my last Limited had a Fuel-Moto head pipe that eliminated the cat.

Engine performance is hard and strong in the lower RPMs. Much more than my 14 Limited 103 Stage 1. This engine just pulls.

Again I'm comparing my new Tri-Glide to my 14 Limited. No CB, never used it on my other bikes. No ABS, I have three wheels instead of two and have yet to be in a situation to lock up the brakes. Main issue for me was and still is the learning curve going from two wheels to three. Turns are different and even the front end felt squirrely. But things are getting smoother with practice and experience.

Bigiron (09-17-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't know if there's any changes to the rear of the trike. If not get the lift kit . It makes a big difference to the steering .

Old 09-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Heh, the front end is fine, too; new riders are just squirrely.

Good report, motordad, can't wait to find out more from other folks.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:15 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Really appreciate the comments. Dealership near me gets its 1st '17 TriGlide in about 2 weeks. Hopefully we can a short test ride (heck don't care if it is just around the lot), and have the chance to let the wife determine if it is what will get her riding 2-up with me again.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:48 AM
dw2169
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your new bride of 27 years is going to love the trike. She can dance around as much as she wants as you pull to a stop and while stopped and you wan't fall over. Make sure she holds on to the grab rails when doing corners as my wife says she slides around a bit.maybe we need a roll cage and a seat belt???, Just kidding, the corners will come to be easier the more you ride and eventually you will find your self trying to run over your friends in front of you. The new motor in the 17 should be really great from what I have heard, lots of low end torque. Good Luck.

Bigiron (09-17-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 10:32 PM
wiltat2
Tourer

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Traded in my 09 Tri-Glide and 10 Ultra Classic for a 17 Tri-Glide. Just got it yesterday and my darn Insurance still has not provided my proof of insurance and won't until Tue. or Wed. so only have ridden it for a short test ride prior to purchase and then the ride home.
As soon as I can get some miles on it I will let you know what I think. The change to the hydraulic clutch is different and I have to get adjusted to that.

Muffbrorick (09-13-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 01:25 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by wiltat2
Traded in my 09 Tri-Glide and 10 Ultra Classic for a 17 Tri-Glide. Just got it yesterday and my darn Insurance still has not provided my proof of insurance and won't until Tue. or Wed. so only have ridden it for a short test ride prior to purchase and then the ride home.
As soon as I can get some miles on it I will let you know what I think. The change to the hydraulic clutch is different and I have to get adjusted to that.
Please post and thanks!

Old 02-02-2017, 07:35 AM
HOGN IT
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Just Saw Your Question

I recently purchased a 2017 Trike. It's been 17 years since I rode last, and that was a Low Rider Custom. Still getting used to the handling; only have 160 miles experience. Given the fact that I've only ridden in January, heat buildup on the legs hasn't been noticeable at all. Also, I added the "Coolflow Fan Kit", which, as you know, is new in 2017. It comes on below 35 MPH I think and supposedly pulls the hot air away from the passenger's legs (the unit attaches behind the motor). It seems to do a good job, from what I can tell. I haven't experienced any problems, other than the ignition switch not wanting to allow the key to turn to the "lock" position smoothly.

I had the dealership install the Stage 1 kit; wanted a Stage 2 Torque kit but was told that H-D hasn't tested that yet so no specs are available for calibrating the Pro Street Tuner. I added the Screamin' Eagle mufflers and the SE Ventilator air filter. I've been impressed with the performance; I wouldn't call it earth-shattering, but then again, I haven't gotten it above 3000 RPMs yet either. It seems to have plenty of power so far, but there's no denying the fact that it's having to pull upwards of 1,500 pounds with basic weight and two riders, so it's not going to scream. I don't know about the stock engine, but I can't believe the Stage 1 made some "incredible" contribution.

Wifey likes it, but (we are both still) a little apprehensive about the centrifugal force you feel if you take curves with any degree of speed (and depending on the extent of the curve), which you don't experience with a two wheeler, since you cancel out the centrifugal force by leaning into the curve, but I'm hoping (we're hoping) that I will get better and may learn a little more about how to take curves more smoothly.

I'm 67, and I was the one who wanted to get a bike, and the Trike gives me more confidence than I could have trying to keep a 2-wheeler upright, given my height (or lack thereof - 5' 7'), strength and age. Looking forward to warmer weather getting here so that I can get some more experience on it. I love it so far.

Last edited by HOGN IT; 02-02-2017 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Adding pictures

Quick Reply: '17 Triglide General ???s