Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

How to stop Engine from burning my leg

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 02:22 PM
Jack Coulter
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How to stop Engine from burning my leg

I am a newby in every sense of the word. My Uncle went off to war in about 1943 and parked his Indian behind he chicken coop and there it sat until he came home . My brother and I at 10 and 11 used to "ride" it every time we could escape our mother's eye and since then I have wanted a motorcycle. At 85 I a have come to the now or never point so I bought a 2009 Harley Trigide and am learning how to ride it. I tried a motorcycle course and found that I am not able to handle the weight without having my legs get so tired that am not safe. I also found that clutch /Throttle coordination was taking so much attention that I was not watching where I was going. To cut it short. I shifted to a trike and am learning how to handle it. There are no courses near by so I am on my own. Terrorizing the neighborhood isn't a good thing so I need to practice an learn quickly. As soon as our current 95 degree spell eases I will be on the road again.
Right now I am being burned by the hot engine next to my right so on the next ride ( this evening) I will leave the shorts home and see if jeans are any better. i am ready for any suggestions.

Old 06-30-2018, 02:57 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

Welcome aboard! Jeans will help with the heat that you feel. That said, they do run hot. If you check out DK Custom Products (they are a sponser on this forum), Kevin has may things to help with the heat. The first thing I would do (after the jeans) is put some floor board extensions on. That extra inch away from the engine does make a difference. Good luck to you and ride like you are invisible to all other traffic.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:08 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

If your heat issue is your right thigh area we can help you . We make a crotch cooler /heat sheild that goes underneath your seat . Here is a link and if we can answer any questions Please let us know .. Thank you Itch . https://shop.captain-itch.com/Harley...hields_c58.htm

The following users liked this post:
duoglider (07-20-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 04:28 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

^^^^^^^^^they work!!!!!!^^^^^^^^

Old 06-30-2018, 06:09 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to 3-wheels....Remove the catalytic converter!

Old 06-30-2018, 07:37 PM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Shorts on a Harley your asking for burns go get some good riding jeans HD make them and there very good. Harleys or any kind of motorcycle riding should taken seriously being burn myself it took a while for me to gear up properly. There are nice riding pants out there. look into it Ride a lot Ride Safe.

Oogie Wa Wa (07-01-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 07:52 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I've been on Harley Trikes since 2011. I'm on my second one now. You can remove the Cat if you want. It is under your right foot and will not help with burning your calf. You will read all over this and other boards how it made a huge difference, but exhaust gas is exhaust gas. It is about 1200* MOVE YOUR LEG. Floor board extensions help Highway pegs help. Sit on your trike, look down where your leg is getting burned and you will see the header pipe from the rear cylinder right there.

PS, I wear shorts all the time. Matter of fact, look at my Siggy Picture. I've been on Harleys since 1970

Last edited by screwball; 06-30-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:00 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Congrats on your "new to you" Tri-Glide!

Wishing you many miles of smiles!!!

Here is the LINK to the Floorboard Extensions that will get your feet and legs away from the engine.

Here is a LINK to a Report on a variety of other things you can do to cool down the engine...this will be more comfortable for you, AND will help it last longer and run better.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Jack Coulter (07-01-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 08:37 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Lose the shorts....

Old 06-30-2018, 11:20 PM
TriGeezer