Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Dk Customs Pro-Action Shocks Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 11:59 AM
6bull
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dk Customs Pro-Action Shocks Review

Kudos to DK Customs for the research and development of their products, DK Customs are quick to reply to any questions about their products and help with anything else.

I have been on the fence for quite a while in regards to their Pro-Action Shocks. I followed along when DK Customs were in development of their shocks and especially since Kevin was testing them on his Tri Glide.

I had back surgery 11 months ago, was released to go back to work and eventually released to ride my Tri Glide. I wasn't able to ride for the good part of 14 months, finally getting back in the saddle. I noticed the bumps seemed harsher to my back. I raised the air pressure, lowered the air pressure in the shocks, played with the air pressure in the rear tires, trying to find a happy medium to where the bumps wouldn't go straight to my back. I wasn't ready to get off my Tri Glide yet, so seriously started looking into coil over shocks. I looked at brand A, brand B, brand C, brand D, I liked what I was reading during my research.

The clincher and what made up my mind was a fellow Tri Glide rider/friend had put on coil over shocks and he couldn't believe the difference they made to the ride. I was sold after talking to them; he had put on 13" shocks. If 13" shocks made a difference from air shocks, then 14" shocks would even be better.

Kevin at DK Customs and all at DK Customs make wonderful products for our Tri Glides. Kevin being the avid motorcyclists' and Tri Glide/Trike rider has developed and researched wonderful products to benefit our Tri Glide's/Trikes performance and ride.

I received my Pro-Action Shocks and Comfort Lift for my Tri Glide on Thursday, of course I had to take the typical selfies of me holding my new twins, in hopes of helping the ride, making my back happy again and also making the wife happy with the ride. I couldn't wait; Saturday couldn't get here fast enough to install the Pro-Action Shocks and Comfort Lift. DK Customs had already set up the shocks according to the information included with the order.

The install went well on Saturday, took about 1 1/2 hours, I don't have a lift for my Tri Glide so I was laying on my back after jacking the Tri Glide up and on jack stands. Not a lot of room to get at the top shock bolt but managed. Instructions are well written and easy to follow. I noticed right away after the installation, I hopped on to move the Tri Glide and didn't notice the typical sag while getting in the saddle. It was hot, humid and windy on Saturday, we decided to wait until Sunday morning to ride and test the new shocks on our nice roads around here. I didn't really know what to expect but had hopes the shocks would be an improvement over the "JUNK" air shocks. Harley Davidson really needs to listen to the people that ride and include coil over shocks instead of air shocks.

Sunday morning the wife and I hop on the Tri Glide in anticipation of a better ride, we weren't disappointed. The first few blocks to get to the Highway are rough. The shocks smoothed those bumps out. Now the Highway is nasty, the bigger cracks are raised up; weather around here is rough on our roads. These nasty cracks that are raised up would buck the wife into the air off the seat and then she would slide toward me. My back would let me know that hurt with the air shocks, but not this time. The old Highway isn't a good road but the new shocks have tamed the Tiger of the old Highway! Next was the dreaded bridge approach, my 6 year old grandson could make a better approach with his Tonka Toys than how the state makes/repairs them out here. Yeah the approach isn't smooth but once again the new shocks have tamed the approach Beast!

I was starting to realize that the wife wasn't sliding into me all the time as she did before with the air shocks, another positive. She did mention that the ride is enjoyable as she isn't being bucked off the seat. Momma was happy so all is good in the world. After many miles I realized my back wasn't hurting as it did with the air shocks.

Now don't get me wrong, yes there are still bumps, you still feel the bumps but not as drastic as they were before. what was rough before with the air shocks, now feels like the Tri Glide is gliding. I'm happy with the decision of going with the Pro-Action Shocks. If you're on the fence of buying these shocks, buy them, you'll be happy you did.

I'm extremely happy with the setup DK Customs did on the shocks. I'm going to put on more miles before I attempt to fine tune the shocks.

I'll be changing out the springs and such in the forks now that I'm happy with the rear shocks. I can only imagine how the front will react to the bumps and such on the roads.

I'm not affiliated with DK Customs or paid to give positive reviews. I ride like the folks at DK Customs, love their products, just an honest review of their Pro-Action Shocks.

Thanks you DK Customs!!!!!!

6bull (aka Jim)

The following 4 users liked this post by 6bull:
Casper (07-01-2018), DK Custom (11-04-2018), Geary Thomas (07-04-2018), LS Bob (07-04-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 04:59 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Jim
I just traded my 14" Limited in for a '16 Triglide. had the 13" Proaction shocks on my limited that I bought from proaction directly( I am not sure if DK builds these shocks, I think they are a distributor for them) Last week I called DK and bought the Comfort lift for my Tri and installed it yesterday along with my PA shocks. Thisd trike had progressive 944's on it when I got it so I didn't know how much improvement I would experience but was happily surprised when I took it for a ride not only was the ride better but the steering was greatly improved . DK treated me awesome and shipped the lift very quickly.
I agree with you about their quality and their Customer Serxice.
We are leaving on the 10th for a trip to yellowstone from Phoenix so it will be a good test.
Jim

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (11-04-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 05:33 PM
6bull
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Have a safe trip to Yellowstone, that will be a good test indeed.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:50 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
Jim
but the steering was greatly improved .
Jim
Really makes a difference, huh? My upper body strength is not good anymore, and before my lift/shocks, it took everything I had to get it around a 90 degree intersection. Not so after the lift/shocks.....

YMMV

Lon

Old 07-01-2018, 06:59 PM
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

A PLUS COMPANY and shocks and lift work

DK Custom (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 02:06 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,960 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I was searching for an old thread of mine and ran across these posts.

Wow! Thanks Jim for taking the time to write up a detailed review of your experience with the 14" Trike Series Shocks™.

It is always good to hear that folks are enjoying our parts, and especially good to hear it helped out your back!

Here's a vid that shows what those shocks are doing to keep the ride smooth.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

6bull (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 02:12 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,960 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
Jim
I just traded my 14" Limited in for a '16 Triglide. had the 13" Proaction shocks on my limited that I bought from proaction directly( I am not sure if DK builds these shocks, I think they are a distributor for them) Last week I called DK and bought the Comfort lift for my Tri and installed it yesterday along with my PA shocks. Thisd trike had progressive 944's on it when I got it so I didn't know how much improvement I would experience but was happily surprised when I took it for a ride not only was the ride better but the steering was greatly improved . DK treated me awesome and shipped the lift very quickly.
I agree with you about their quality and their Customer Serxice.
We are leaving on the 10th for a trip to yellowstone from Phoenix so it will be a good test.
Jim
Trust you enjoyed your Yellowstone Trip!

Yes, we've been a dealer for PA for a few years now. While I really enjoyed the benefit of the PA shocks, I still wanted a better ride on my Tri Glide. So I approached George at PA about building a Custom shock. He was amenable to the idea.

DK worked with PA and we Co-Developed the Trike Series Shocks and the Deluxe Touring Shocks for 2 wheelers. The TG now rides like it should!

Originally Posted by 7125
A PLUS COMPANY and shocks and lift work
Thanks man!