Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Front end wobble. 04 heritage softail.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 09:55 PM
Bartender
Club Member
Received 1,070 Likes on 394 Posts
Default Front end wobble. 04 heritage softail.

Just picked up this bike. 04 heritage softail/champion trike conversion with less then 500 miles. I've been going through everything, have it running and everything looks to be in excellent condition but the front end is all over the place. I have the rear tires at 28psi and the front tire at 35psi. I got the tire pressures on line but don't know if that's correct because at this point I really don't have anything to go by.

This is my first trike so I'm not quite sure what to expect when riding one but I'm thinking it shouldn't be this bad. At this point I haven't had it over 30mph.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:27 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 406 Likes on 327 Posts

Any out of true condition front, middle, or rear, will manifest as a front end wobble, because that’s where the hinge is. Start at the front end, check neck bearings, forks, wheel true, tire and wheel run-out, separating belts, etc... If you don’t find anything, check out the rear end, axle alignment, etc... Be methodical.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:43 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

You might give Champion a call . They most likely have experienced the problem with your configuration before.
It could be a lot of things from anything out of alignment to the wrong height of the rear end. That could easily change the steering geometry .
Also I see you have no steering damper on those forks. Harley has one on the TriGlide from factory to take care of their shake problems. If you want one there are a few aftermarket around for a lot less than Harley OEM.
And depending on your tire design, you can lower that pressure in the rear. With the TriGlide we run around 20# to 24# depending how everything feels. You don't want to go too low, but.that 28# might let the rear end move around a lot.
Another thing is the shocks on the rear. Make sure they are equal in adjustment, if they are adjustable. One could be bad and when you hit a difference in the pavement it could throw a wobble forward.
Something else is the front wheel being a laced wheel, make sure it runs true. While you are at it check those wheel bearings..And check the preload on the triple tree.

Last edited by sloufoot; 11-27-2018 at 03:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bartender (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 06:05 AM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Like sloufoot said" I see you have no steering damper on those forks " That makes all the difference in the world. When HD put out the trikes I test rode one and it was all over the place. It scared me to death, and I couldn't wait to get off the trike. HD then started putting the steering dampers on their trikes and things smoothed out. Rear wheel tire pressure should only be around 22LBS. You might check and add these to help your ride.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:24 PM
Bartender
Club Member

Originally Posted by sloufoot
You might give Champion a call . They most likely have experienced the problem with your configuration before.
It could be a lot of things from anything out of alignment to the wrong height of the rear end. That could easily change the steering geometry .
Also I see you have no steering damper on those forks. Harley has one on the TriGlide from factory to take care of their shake problems. If you want one there are a few aftermarket around for a lot less than Harley OEM.
And depending on your tire design, you can lower that pressure in the rear. With the TriGlide we run around 20# to 24# depending how everything feels. You don't want to go too low, but.that 28# might let the rear end move around a lot.
Another thing is the shocks on the rear. Make sure they are equal in adjustment, if they are adjustable. One could be bad and when you hit a difference in the pavement it could throw a wobble forward.
Something else is the front wheel being a laced wheel, make sure it runs true. While you are at it check those wheel bearings..And check the preload on the triple tree.

Talked with Champion Trike today in So California. They were very friendly and helpful. They sent me "owners maintenance notes" and "operating instructions" for the reverse gear.

Just like you said and was also recommended by Champion Trike when I talked to them today, lower air pressure in the rear tires. I have them at 20psi and it's made a HUGE difference. They also suggested that I tightenen the steering stem nut to 35lbs torque so that's next on my list of things to do.

Do you have any recommendations for a steering damper? Considering mounting one of those as well.
My wife wants to ride this one so I'd like to get this Trike to handle as well as possible before I teach her to ride it.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:26 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

You might ask Champion if they recommend a stabilizer for your model bike. I just took a short look at a few online and didn't find one to fit your year and model. You might have to modify a bracket for one to fit yours. You could try talking to any of the dealers and let them recommend something they sell.
Don't just talk to Champion talk to other trike kit manufactures if Champion cant help you..
I would prefer one that is adjustable. There are some cheap ones on EBay, but sometimes you get what you pay for. Might be fine as long as you know the travel, dampening ability,, and what will fit your forks or triple tree and frame ..
Maybe something on this order. You will most likely need to make brackets or mounts.::
https://www.ebay.com/itm/330mm-Alumi....c100005.m1851

Last edited by sloufoot; 11-28-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:31 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,752 Likes on 2,412 Posts

For the steering bearing I would be wary of just doing the nut up to a specific torque setting. The adjustment is to get the fall away to a set point without regard for a torque setting. Check manual for your bike.

For mine I nudge the steering on each side and it "falls" at around 2". I have to remove the clutch cable to do it properly.

For your trike adjust it to something a bit larger in increments to see if it helps. Obviously check the bearings are in good order and greased up before you start.

The following users liked this post:
sloufoot (11-28-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 04:41 PM
Bartender
Club Member

"Flyboyron" on this forum had a 05 just like mine with a steering damper. I've left him a PM, hopefully he knows what brand it is.