Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

HD cool flow fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 08:38 AM
wadbrown
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default HD cool flow fan

Was just wondering if anyone had any info on the HD cool flow fan that Harley sells. Was wondering if it would help with lowering cylinder head temp any or was it mostly just to help passenger comfort?

Old 07-15-2019, 11:35 AM
harley roadking
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Cool flow fan

From what i see from the installation directions is: 1. You have to move plug wires 2. You need to move wiring 3.You have to "stuff" this in behind rear cylinder. 4.it only cools rear cylinder and 5. $300 plus not including labor or if you do it yourself extra parts
Check the website from harley

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....7?locale=en_US

Old 07-15-2019, 11:49 AM
mctraveler
Road Master
Received 321 Likes on 250 Posts

If you're concerned with head temps.. check out DK custom and look at the videos and reports...Kevin has done a lot of research and testing regarding head temps plus products that work

Old 07-16-2019, 07:26 AM
TOHOG
Supporter
Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Cooling Fan

Originally Posted by wadbrown
Was just wondering if anyone had any info on the HD cool flow fan that Harley sells. Was wondering if it would help with lowering cylinder head temp any or was it mostly just to help passenger comfort?
I had the Cool Fan installed when I purchased my TG 2018. It fits well, Auto or Manual control. Does pull some head from the motor especially in slow or stop/go traffic which me. I live in the cityore so frequent traffic until I get out on the open road. MAINLY PULLS HOT AIR DOWN AND AWAY. I would suspect from both cylinders if you are moving. HARLEYS ARE HOT. Manut y have made $$ trying to eliminate this but none have succeeded. DK has helped!!

Old 07-16-2019, 07:42 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,046 Likes on 6,220 Posts

Originally Posted by mctraveler
If you're concerned with head temps.. check out DK custom and look at the videos and reports...Kevin has done a lot of research and testing regarding head temps plus products that work
+1...

Old 07-16-2019, 11:20 PM
RCUltra
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Ive watched most of DK’s videos and I’m wondering if the 230* CHT he says is optimal is even possible. I’m going to do a 1” tank lift. Might do his oil cooler and relocation kit, but I’m worried about running the oil too cold. Anyone know if his oil cooler engine adapter has a thermostat in it?

Old 07-18-2019, 03:53 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by harley roadking
From what i see from the installation directions is: 1. You have to move plug wires 2. You need to move wiring 3.You have to "stuff" this in behind rear cylinder. 4.it only cools rear cylinder and 5. $300 plus not including labor or if you do it yourself extra parts
Check the website from harley

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....7?locale=en_US

This is not there to Cool the jugs. It is there to cool your right leg. It mainly affects the passenger. I installed it about two months ago. My wife says it made a big difference.

The install was a minor pain. All you do is redirect the plug wires (not actually move them) by twisting the end caps. The only other wires affected are the power and control. Simply unplug the dummy cap and plug them in.

You also have to remove the Ignition switch to install the power button. I did the entire job in an hour in the dark, working with a flashlight.

I leave mine in auto. It cuts on at 40 mph and 80F(I think).

I do believe it is making my (the rider) right leg hot. I think the replacement deflector or fan is causing a burble of dead hot air.

We recently did a Fl, Al, MS, LA ride (got run out by Barry). It was hot!! The dash was showing 102F. I was riding in shorts and actually got blisters on my right leg. Stopped at an Old Navy and bought some white, linen beach pants and would stop periodically and soak them in water before moving on.

There is nothing good about riding through air 102F. Anything above 98F is raising the body temperature. All that 85MPH speed does is slam you with a lot more hit air. It was miserable and I was begging for rain - which we got.

Cool flow is a good quick option but there is nothing that will make 102F feel good other than jumping in the ocean.

The following users liked this post:
roadglider05 (07-19-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 04:41 PM
harley roadking
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Hot in here or is it just me?

[QUOTE=SpringerRider;18409168]This is not there to Cool the jugs. It is there to cool your right leg. It mainly affects the passenger. I installed it about two months ago. My wife says it made a big difference.

The install was a minor pain. All you do is redirect the plug wires (not actually move them) by twisting the end caps. The only other wires affected are the power and control. Simply unplug the dummy cap and plug them in.

You also have to remove the Ignition switch to install the power button. I did the entire job in an hour in the dark, working with a flashlight.

I leave mine in auto. It cuts on at 40 mph and 80F(I think).

I do believe it is making my (the rider) right leg hot. I think the replacement deflector or fan is causing a burble of dead hot air.

We recently did a Fl, Al, MS, LA ride (got run out by Barry). It was hot!! The dash was showing 102F. I was riding in shorts and actually got blisters on my right leg. Stopped at an Old Navy and bought some white, linen beach pants and would stop periodically and soak them in water before moving on.

There is nothing good about riding through air 102F. Anything above 98F is raising the body temperature. All that 85MPH speed does is slam you with a lot more hit air. It was miserable and I was begging for rain - which we got.

Cool flow is a good quick option but there is nothing that will make 102F feel good other than jumping in the ocean

Just curious, were you riding a tri glide or fw with lowers?

Old 07-19-2019, 01:48 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

TG which is a wet head so I have to have lowers