Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Went From Limited to a TriGlide

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 01:47 PM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Went From Limited to a TriGlide

Well the day finally came where I had to make a decision to stop riding or go to a trike. I am 72 years old and had a 14 Ultra Limited which I absolutely loved and had many good times on it. However, it became too heavy for me and it was becoming too dangerous for me to ride and I had to face the fact it was time to give it up but I still had the desire to ride. So I decided to go with the TriGlide.I bought a used 2015 TriGlide from my dealer with 7,400 miles on it in excellent condition. I haven't put that many miles on it due to weather and other reasons yet but too be honest I am a little intimidated by it especially in the curves. I guess I have to just get use to it. It is like trying to learn how to ride all over again. Definitely a different animal to be sure. Hopefully I will adjust to it because I still have the desire to ride and want to do some touring in the near future.If anyone has any suggestions that would be helpful please pass them on.

The following users liked this post:
GrampT (01-10-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 01:49 PM
Rogue1
Road Master
Received 656 Likes on 333 Posts

I went from an ultra limited to a Tri Glide also. Never looked back. At 68 it will probably be my last bike but who knows? My main complaint about the ultra limited was it was top-heavy and with my lady on the back made it even worse. I haven't tipped the trike over once lol. It took me two thousand miles before I felt as at ease on the Tri Glide as I did on a two wheeler. We love it

Last edited by Rogue1; 01-08-2021 at 02:09 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rogue1:
f27897 (11-15-2021), GrampT (01-10-2021), Kugie's HOG (01-08-2021), tsc0789 (01-09-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 01:57 PM
ultrafxr
Cruiser
Received 122 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Kugie's HOG
Well the day finally came where I had to make a decision to stop riding or go to a trike. I am 72 years old and had a 14 Ultra Limited which I absolutely loved and had many good times on it. However, it became too heavy for me and it was becoming too dangerous for me to ride and I had to face the fact it was time to give it up but I still had the desire to ride. So I decided to go with the TriGlide.I bought a used 2015 TriGlide from my dealer with 7,400 miles on it in excellent condition. I haven't put that many miles on it due to weather and other reasons yet but too be honest I am a little intimidated by it especially in the curves. I guess I have to just get use to it. It is like trying to learn how to ride all over again. Definitely a different animal to be sure. Hopefully I will adjust to it because I still have the desire to ride and want to do some touring in the near future.If anyone has any suggestions that would be helpful please pass them on.
Contrats on the new to you TG. I too went from a 2017 CVO Limited to a 2018 TG in September, 2017, due to a leg injury. My wife and I were not ready to give up motorcycling and went to the TG not as a step down by any means but as a lateral move to stay in the sport we love. It is a different animal but I can tell you it didn't take us long at all to completely adjust and while my leg could no doubt now contend with a two wheeler there is no way I'd go back. As far as the riding in the curves go it'll just take a little time and practice to build your skill and confidence. I led a group of four other two wheelers on a fall leaf ride in the Arkansas mountains shortly after I got my TG. I was concerned that I might slow them down in the twisties and at a rest stop told them to please jump up front if they wanted to go faster. To a man they said 'no you're going plenty fast.' While you don't lean through the curves but steer through them there is still the same technique to set up for the curve, follow the line you select and accelerate out. I find that 'dragging' a bit of rear brake can really help stabilize the trike when taking curves. Good luck and I'm envious what with you being right there at the Blue Ridge Parkway. Great riding there. I've done it over half a dozen times and it never disappoints. Good luck with your transition.

The following 2 users liked this post by ultrafxr:
GrampT (01-10-2021), Kugie's HOG (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 02:28 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,215 Likes on 718 Posts

In a few hundred miles it will feel very comfortable. It just takes a little time and an open mind to master the ride. SE of you and understand the weather isn't the best for riding. Good Luck

Kugie's HOG (01-09-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 02:44 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,018 Likes on 7,034 Posts

Congrats on going to three and continue riding. I had the same issue with my 2017 FLHTCU; however, I am a bit younger at 67. Like you said it will take a while to get the hang of it, 500 miles under your belt and you will be good to go.

Parking lot practice.

Give yourself enough room going into a gas station or other side hazards.

Put your arms out to your sides and that is approximately where your fenders are.

Put your weight on the outside foot board when going around a curve, it will set your body up for the curve and limit the slide in the seat feeling as you are not leaning.

Look through the curve to where you want to go just like riding 2 wheels. Power out of the curve as you hit the apex.

GrampT (01-10-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 02:49 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,841 Likes on 3,237 Posts

I rented a Tri-Glide when vacationing near Mt. Rushmore. They are a blast! Had it for three (3) days and only toward the end of the third day did I begin to stop trying to put my feet down at stops. [Yes, I'm a slow learner] The only time I scared the **** out of myself was a short leg on the Interstate with a moderate curve. The centrifugal force felt like the bike was trying to launch me into a field. Naturally, you don't lean to turn, but I did begin finding myself "counter-leaning" to offset that sensation. And reverse is nice!

ETA: And forget about avoiding potholes. Either your steer right/left with the front wheel and catch one of the rears, or you go smack thru the middle with the front wheel and straddle the hole with the rears. It's a genuine "damned if you do; damned if you don't"

Last edited by sailmotion; 01-08-2021 at 02:52 PM.
Kugie's HOG (01-09-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 03:00 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 410 Likes on 267 Posts

After a few weeks you'll wonder way you waited so long. We a had picked up a sporty with a DFT kit for the misses and I would tool around on it so I had a relatively short learning curve when I picked up my 15 TG. You got some good advice here and everyone likes to help. Take your time. What really sold me was the stability. Not having to worry about some gravel or sand in the road. I went out last Saturday after we did our running around, and rolled into a curve on a back you. A rock about the size of a brick had fell into the middle of the road. There wasn't wasn't able to avoid it but had a wiggle in the handlebars and she settled right back down. Don't know if it would have been a issue on the bike but really wouldn't want to find out. Take your time and you'll be carving up the twisties again before you know it

Kugie's HOG (01-09-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 04:17 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,415 Likes on 6,356 Posts

You will have no problems adapting to three wheels and congratulation on your new ride.

The following 2 users liked this post by 470004:
GrampT (01-10-2021), Kugie's HOG (01-09-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 06:06 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,663 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Welcome to the "Three-Wheel" world!

I encouraged my cousin to get his '15 Tri-Glide while we were on a road trip in the summer of '15 and he's been very happy with it.

Did the same with my then-riding partner and he bought a '16 (used) with 2,000 miles on it in early '17.

I bought my '18 in the summer of '18 but unlike my cousin and friend I still have my (2) two-wheelers.

For touring, especially for two-up riding, and especially for riding in bad weather you can't beat the comfort and security of the Tri-Glide.

FWIW, my cousin has had to have 2 water pumps replaced on his '15 and I think he turned 30,000 miles on the odometer this summer

Old 01-08-2021, 09:03 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,502 Likes on 1,555 Posts

I came from owning a 12 Streetglide and a Heritage. Crashed one and sold the other and bought a Tri. Took a couple of 100 miles to get use to it.

Quick Reply: Went From Limited to a TriGlide