Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Freewheeler for wife?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:14 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

For years wife and I traveled all over the south-west on my Dyna and her Nightrain. We have T-Bag wheeled luggage that we strap to the sissy bar. even when we both had Tri-glides we didn't carry much in the trunk or tour pack, Lot easier to get in and out of Motels.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:06 PM
rdradcliffe
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have had a Heritage for about 5 years and my wife got her license about 3 years ago. She never rode solo on it but I got her a 650 Yamaha to "practice" on 2 years ago. She never got the confidence. We traded the Heritage in a couple of weeks ago and she loves it, even put a few miles on by herself. We took it out yesterday and put about 300 miles on it two up, and I have been breaking it in. I think it is the best move we have made other than buying my Fat Bob. It handles a lot better than the Tri-Glide, about like comparing the Heritage to my Bobber. We have been planning trips since we got it and she's thinking there will be very little riding two up anymore. She loves riding it by herself.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:15 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Just a thought, We have a '14 Tri-Glide and my Freewheeler. Wife prefers riding the Tri. With the Batwing fairing she gets a lot less wind. She says the 'Free is lighter in the front end, has more power, and steers a tad easier, but she prefers the additional storage and wind protection.

To each his own.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:53 AM
Springman65
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I think you need to talk to your wife at this stage.....

Take her to an HD dealer or two and tell her your idea. Also explain the license issue in terms of cost and value. Might as well get on the same page as her - and her take on it.

Also, remember that ride days are coming up to many HD dealers...

Tell her she will need to focus on getting the license and then she can test drive the FLRT or the TG or both.... Then let her take it. I have to say that a lot of female riders show strong initiative to ride and stay riding; and, those that don't - don't.....

Springman

Old 05-11-2015, 12:12 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm going through the same thing. Been waiting 3 years for her to decide what she wants to do. Got her a bike 3 years ago, she still hasn't gotten on it.
My health made a turn and traded for a free. She now has become interested again. She has actually has rode it some now. She has been busy the past week looking for a riders course.
One of the problems is some folks are afraid to fail. I'm not talking about falling, but not being able to do it. It is a thinking problem.
I got the 2 wheel wide glide to ride. A very cool factor.
Do not push her, let her decide when or if she wants to check it out.
Just be patient.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:53 PM
brerrabbit
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wife's Tri

We eventually went with a Can-Am Spyder RT Limited after researching and trying various options. It is semi automatic trans and a lot softer ride. We liken the Tri-Glide vs the Spyder as a Mack Truck vs Cadillac. Due to her back and wrist issues, we had go clutchless and softer ride. This works good for us. By the way, I like Mack Truck.

=bob=

Old 05-11-2015, 01:22 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I think that many of the dangers of riding a bike, are still present with a trike. You have to put a lot of thought, and preparation into being a bike rider.

If she can't even get her motorcycle endorsement, she should get a convertible car, not a trike. My .02.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:42 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by brerrabbit
We eventually went with a Can-Am Spyder RT Limited after researching and trying various options. It is semi automatic trans and a lot softer ride. We liken the Tri-Glide vs the Spyder as a Mack Truck vs Cadillac. Due to her back and wrist issues, we had go clutchless and softer ride. This works good for us. By the way, I like Mack Truck.

=bob=
mack truck vs cadillac.....well there is no accounting for taste .....lol

best thing is that you made a decision based on your opinion, wants and desires and you are riding. does not matter what you are riding. we are all brothers ans sisters of the three wheels. lots of smiles and miles to ya in the future. remember post pics