Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Rear Rims Terrible

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 06:22 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rear Rims Terrible

All new Trike owners should think about rear rims now. I was very care full for my first riding season on keeping clean and dry. I just pulled them off for some cleaning under the trike and the rear wheels have small stains that will not come off ! On inside of the rims look very bad. Im not sure of the fix except a expensive chrome job but be aware while they are relatively clean while new..

Inputs from other may teach me and I am willing to learn.

Hap

Old 02-01-2015, 06:42 AM
plumberdoug
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims

I had my rims chromed on 2011 and they still looked great when I traded it. Not sure what to do with my 2015 rims they are different, they have black lining. And doing an exchange I am not sure what I will end up with.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:43 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Another thing to watch for is bead leaks. HD does nothing to coat the inside of the rims, last summer, the night before I was ready to go on a ride, I looked and one of the tires was low. Put air in and within a couple of hours lost 2 lbs. So took the tire off, broke it down, and sure enough there was so much crud on the inside of the rim it started a bead leak. I cleaned it all up, and coated with the same goop used for car tire aluminum wheels to keep oxidation down. I have since did this to the other side.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:13 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,953 Likes on 2,305 Posts

Originally Posted by hapbob
All new Trike owners should think about rear rims now. I was very care full for my first riding season on keeping clean and dry. I just pulled them off for some cleaning under the trike and the rear wheels have small stains that will not come off ! On inside of the rims look very bad. Im not sure of the fix except a expensive chrome job but be aware while they are relatively clean while new..

Hap
Yep, they're a bear to clean. I have used some metal polish with a lot of elbow grease to get the stains out...it is possible.

Check out what I did about 7 months ago...no more stains or difficulty in cleaning.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...erences-2.html

Post #15 in the link above. Cleared the wheels, and it's still holding up well. All I use to clean them is pledge and a towel, they wipe clean.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Luzierg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Yep, they're a bear to clean. I have used some metal polish with a lot of elbow grease to get the stains out...it is possible.

Check out what I did about 7 months ago...no more stains or difficulty in cleaning.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...erences-2.html

Post #15 in the link above. Cleared the wheels, and it's still holding up well. All I use to clean them is pledge and a towel, they wipe clean.
I took Kevin's advice when I traded for my '15 back in September. The day I brought the bike home I cleaned and clear coated the rims. NO more staining and pitting. Great advice.......

Gary

Old 02-02-2015, 04:31 AM
hapbob
Road Master

Hey
Kevin you say you sprayed them with clear?
Clear what?
Can I rattle can that
I still think I may do it even with small stains because they will only get worse and its so much hassle to keep clean.

Clear what? is the question.?
Thanks
Hap

Old 02-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm getting new replacement wheels for my 2012 tomorrow. I want to clear them and seal them to prevent bead leak. Do I need to have a paint shop do the clear or what do you recommend to clear coat them with at home. How do you seal the bead? Help!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:24 AM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he said he used Rust-Oleum Acrylic Enamel, Gloss Crystal Clear in a rattle can. Read his build out thread ... it's in there.

Seriously ... read his post ... lots of good tips about prep ... and we all know prep is 90% of a good Job.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:54 PM
garykrs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hapbob

Hap

Chrome them or they will waste your time and drive you nuts!!

Old 02-02-2015, 04:03 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Default Gonna try it

Quick Reply: Rear Rims Terrible