Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Excellent outcome with Screaming Eagle clutch in TriGlide

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 11:17 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,314 Likes on 11,158 Posts
Default Excellent outcome with Screaming Eagle clutch in TriGlide

For most of my 2012 TriGlide's life, I have not been happy with with my OEM clutch performance. I don't know if when I went temporarily to Syn3 in the primary started it, or my dealer just wasn't adjusting it right. Starting out from a stop, it wasn't really slipping, but it seemed to take a while to hook up. Then when it got hot, it would engage roughly. I also have a Stage II, so maybe that aggravated my issues.

I had the dealer check it out a few times, and they claimed they couldn't find anything wrong. So, I finally decided to do something aggressive to improve clutch performance, and decided to install the HD Screaming Eagle clutch pack with the Screaming Eagle Diaphragm Spring.

After some errors on my part with the installation, I am extremely pleased with the results. I was concerned that the SE clutch and spring was described as having no friction zone, operated more like an on-off switch, and was difficult to ride with.

Maybe because of the weight of the TriGlide with my fat @$$ versus some of the lighter bikes, it seems the TriGlde now runs the way it should. Starting from a stop, it hooks up quickly and smoothly with no jerking, slipping, grabbing like the OEM used to.

It's one of the best upgrades I have made to my TriGlide. Two thumbs up!!

Old 04-22-2016, 11:33 AM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

TGeezer, that's great to hear. Mine had 22K when I put in the TTS-100s, and the clutch would slip pretty bad in 6th. I went a different way, but like you, had to upgrade with the added torque.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:58 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I also was unhappy with the clutch on my 2012 TriGlide. I had problems with it within the first 100 miles. I had it adjusted a couple of times and the two dealers both said it was fine. Then I adjusted it myself and the dealer said I didn't know what I was doing. They adjusted it again and said that it was fine and there was nothing wrong with it. A trip up Mt Washington with my grandson convinced me that I had to do something different. I did not think we were going to make it up the mountain because the clutch was slipping so bad. When I got home, I ordered a Barnett Extra Plate Kevlar clutch pack, installed it, and I've never had any problems anymore. My personal belief is that H-D didn't install a rugged enough clutch in the TriGlides from the beginning. I agree with TriGeezer, this has been one of the best upgrades I did to my Trike.

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Wizard (04-24-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 03:46 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

When we bought wife's 08 tri-glide she just came off some severe Chemo treatments for a rare cancer. She had little strength in her hands and feet. Steve, the service manager at Apple Valley Harley suggested we replace the clutch spring in her Tri with the softer spring from a 96" Deluxe. For $35.00 (cost of the spring) she could easily pull the clutch lever. I inherited the '08 in 2011 when we bought her a new trike. Almost 80,000 miles later we traded it in, still running great, no clutch slip at all even with the lighter spring. Both the trikes we have now are hydraulic.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:30 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
When we bought wife's 08 tri-glide she just came off some severe Chemo treatments for a rare cancer. She had little strength in her hands and feet. Steve, the service manager at Apple Valley Harley suggested we replace the clutch spring in her Tri with the softer spring from a 96" Deluxe. For $35.00 (cost of the spring) she could easily pull the clutch lever. I inherited the '08 in 2011 when we bought her a new trike. Almost 80,000 miles later we traded it in, still running great, no clutch slip at all even with the lighter spring. Both the trikes we have now are hydraulic.
I think you had one of those rare clutches, or is your riding mostly on flat ground and rural areas. I've seen quite a few clutches start slipping on trikes, I had to put one in my dads 09 when his started going south. He did a lot of riding around towns which required a lot of clutch work. IMO, I think a lot depends on the area you ride in, how long the clutch is going to hold up.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:28 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

My clutch was slipping so bad after 100 miles, we didn't think we would make it to the dealer in Portland, Maine. A week later, I didn't think I would make it up over the hills on U.S Rte 2 between Skowhegan and Bangor. I'm talking almost coming to a complete stop with the engine racing and the clutch engaged. At the dealer, they said that the clutch plates were still surprisingly in good shape, adjusted it and sent me on my way. I think that these clutches were not strong enough right from the factory, and never should have been put on these trikes in the first place. I wish that I had taken pictures of the blue clutch components I found when I replaced the plates.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:18 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Lost my clutch at 4000 easy miles.

Did this...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...-adjuster.html

No more issues.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:38 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

WOW, never had a problem. We live in a valley at 1400 feet. to go anywhere except west we had to go to 4,000 feet. We rode in the mountains, up, down, all over. The '09 rode in California, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, etc. Never had any slipping problems. As I said, nearly 80K miles when we traded it in. Only problem we had with her was the front motor mount kept coming loose. A dot of red Loctite and carrying a wrench solved that problem.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:22 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,314 Likes on 11,158 Posts

Screwball: as I indicated in my post, I think mine got screwed up by Syn3 and bad dealer adjustments. Mine wasn't slipping as much as it was just rough engaging. Maybe I would have gotten the same result replacing with a stock clutch, but by Hong SE I am very pleased.

Glad yours have been trouble free.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:27 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It wasn't the change in lubricant. I wouldn't think a stage 1 would do that either. I had to switch to that clutch in my Sporty when I installed a 1250 engine, did head work, new cams etc.

It was then producing more torque and HP than the stock clutch could handle. After the 500 mile break in period I immediately opened it up to full throttle and that stock clutch went ZIP. Glad I was close to home and made it home without a clutch.

Damn, that SE clutch is a stiff pull, and the one on my Sporty does have a very small friction zone. Most people can't ride it. Either stalls out or starts to stand up.

Quick Reply: Excellent outcome with Screaming Eagle clutch in TriGlide