Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Taking corners on three wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 10:07 AM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
Is there something wrong with going the speed limit through a curve?? If people behind you have to slow down, so be it! Let them pass and go as fast as they want into a curve. Pretty soon they will go 1 mile per hour too fast into a curve and you can watch them ride down the hill the hard way. Don't listen to the people that say they can ride faster on the twisties than 2 wheel riders. It just means they are riding with sissies, or his buddies want him to feel good. Ride and learn at your own pace, have fun and enjoy it, stop worrying what your buddies may think
.........listen to screwball....I agree with all he sez.....

Old 03-08-2017, 11:15 AM
RedOregon
Tourer

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by desertclassic
I can tell you sand in a turn is an issue. Being from the southwest, during windy season sand moves around a lot. Hitting the curves hard could have crazy results.
Not unless the sand is alllll the way across the lane. That was one of my first "oh man I love this trike" moments, when I came into a curve pretty hot and saw a patch of sand, then had the wonderful experience of zooming right through it without so much as a twitch - two rear wheels mean no problem if only one of them hits the sand. Would have been ugggggly on the 'glide!

The following users liked this post:
Hogdoc45 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Hogdoc45
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Fearless (old nickname)
I un-knowing started to press out side of turn leg on tank mental thing doesn't change anything but my peace of mind. Stay with what works for you it gets better with miles and so do the larger smiles. I push and pull method it is an upper body workout and stay focused on where you are on the lane. Practice and soon your old two wheel buddies will be asking you to slow down on the twistys. That is because they are dragging shiny stuff on their baggers. Takes a little getting used to but it will come to you. Practice, practice, and more practice. ride safely Fred

P.S. I had not riddin in 40+ years and I can do it anyone can
I too, find myself "squeezing" my knees against the tank (like riding a horse) and with my feet flat in the boards. Helps me to feel stable and one with the trike.

The following users liked this post:
Muffbrorick (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 02:31 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
Is there something wrong with going the speed limit through a curve?? If people behind you have to slow down, so be it! Let them pass and go as fast as they want into a curve. Pretty soon they will go 1 mile per hour too fast into a curve and you can watch them ride down the hill the hard way. Don't listen to the people that say they can ride faster on the twisties than 2 wheel riders. It just means they are riding with sissies, or his buddies want him to feel good. Ride and learn at your own pace, have fun and enjoy it, stop worrying what your buddies may think
this is by far the best advice out there. ride YOUR ride !

Old 03-08-2017, 05:37 PM
dw2169
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rule of Thumb

When I am riding my trike, I find that 10 mph above the posted speed is as fast as I will try any corner that I don't know and that works most of the time. It's an easy way to figure out corners that I don't know. When riding the Dragon, I was always in the same picture as my buddy when in the corners. We had a good time but I do like the Beartooth Pass as more of a test of corners uphill and down. Lots of fun.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:11 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 389 Likes on 255 Posts

All your passenger has to do is hold on to you or those grab rails and hang on. Lean and/or shift weight around on the floor boards, whatever they need to do to not fall off is fine.

That's another wonderful thing about a trike, if the passenger is moving around it's hard to even tell! We were on day three of our fist long trip out west, hadn't had the trike very long, and I told the wife over the intercom "You know, you don't have to hold still back there, it doesn't steer the trike like it does a bike." And she replied "I've been sitting back here leaning to each side and almost turning half way around taking pictures for the last three days, and you never even noticed?" Nope.

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 03-08-2017 at 10:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oogie Wa Wa:
Fearless (old nickname) (03-09-2017), RedOregon (03-15-2017)