Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Freewheeler trunk locked shut!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Johnny Glide
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Freewheeler trunk locked shut!

Dad bought a new Freewheeler and got his jacket in the release mechanism inside the trunk! How can l release it to get it open?

Old 08-21-2017, 10:03 AM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Try This

I don't have time to do a search at this time, but I did have the below link bookmarked and it is a very good thread. I am not sure if he talked about opening a locked one but try it and see. I do remember somebody posting a thread about trying to unlock a trunk and taking it to a dealer. Try searching trunk unlocking etc.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...mechanism.html

Old 08-22-2017, 05:55 PM
Johnny Glide
Intermediate

Dealer said to remove the right fender and that will expose a 1" hole to work through, l don' t think that would be big enough?

Old 08-22-2017, 06:04 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,577 Likes on 3,824 Posts
Old 08-22-2017, 06:58 PM
Johnny Glide
Intermediate

I found out on the trike forum that a few Freewheeler riders are having the same issue, cable gets out of place and screws come loose at latch, I don't think it is his jacket now! May have to have dealer fix under warranty-one month left!

Old 08-26-2017, 02:28 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,546 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Glide
Dealer said to remove the right fender and that will expose a 1" hole to work through, l don' t think that would be big enough?
IF it was my trike---

I'd remove the LH fender an search for the 1" hole the dealer described.
If that hole is not large enough for you to access the locking mechanism, I'd see if enlarging it (safely and neatly) to a size that does allow you access is possible. You can always "plug" a perfectly round hole with either a body plug or if all else fails with multiple layers of high quality adhesive tape. After all, it is NOT visible once the fender is re-attached.

OR--take it back to the dealer for repair. Just remember, if it happened once it may happen again.

Where there's a will there's always a way, and the tech's at the dealership aren't geniuses.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 08-26-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:45 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 389 Likes on 255 Posts

Just musing here... Heck, if it comes to it, if you take the tour pack off you could use a hole saw and make an opening between the bracket rails (forward as possible) and big enough to really get your arm in there. Wouldn't be too hard to plug and it would be hard to see. And there's no inner liner to deal with up top either. Plus you could hold your phone down in there and take pictures so you know exactly what you're dealing with.

It is possible to unbolt the tour pack from the bracket, but not nearly as easy as just removing the bracket with it, of course. With the opening in the bracket, you could go about 6" diameter! OK, back to reality, let the dealer figure it out.

Lots of room up there.

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 08-27-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:56 PM
kblhd
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

That might work if the Freewheeler had a Tour Pac. But I guess you could always add one after you drill the hole. Seems like that would be a lot of work though.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:40 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 389 Likes on 255 Posts

Crap! Wow, I dicked that up, sorry! But if mine ever gets stuck I know what I'm doing!

So instead, is there any way to get in from under the seat?

Old 08-28-2017, 02:13 PM
kblhd
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

Checked the wife's Freewheeler and sure enough the latch bolts as well as the key bolts were loose.

Quick Reply: Freewheeler trunk locked shut!