Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Probable Freewheeler purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:57 AM
cobalt07
Road Master
Received 243 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Probable Freewheeler purchase

I'm an old busted up carpenter in sunny NE Ohio. Had a hip replacement 2 months ago and am having a shoulder replacement in March. I can not imagine not riding this summer, Doc said 6 month recovery for arm. I'm thinking, Freewheeler with a Rekluse auto clutch can put me back on the road by mid May or June as I won't use my left arm for the clutch. I live in the country and could get away without much turn signal use. I have been on Harleys since early '70s but never on a trike. Can I get away with 1 arm operation or are they too hard to manuever with one arm ? Also trunk lid is quite substantial, think I can mount an aftermarket trunk to it ? Thanks for any input

Old 02-09-2018, 09:15 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

It takes a surprisingly lot of effort to turn a trike - and the faster one goes, the harder the effort. I suppose the Freewheeler being a bit light than the Triglide I rented would be a little easier to turn; but again, I was surprised. If you've ever ridden an ATV, think that effort x 1/2.

The following users liked this post:
cobalt07 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:14 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

You may want to try a Freewheeler before your surgery; a trike does require shoulder movement to steer

cobalt07 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:19 AM
cobalt07
Road Master

The weather her probably won't allow for a ride by March unless the jet stream changes. I was thinking that would be the response, a lot of effort to steer.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:23 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

BTW, it's not only the effort required to steer. Unlike a two-wheeler which one leans into a turn, generally pushing the rider into the seat, there is a fair amount of centrifugal force on a trike during moderate to high speeds that feels like the bike is trying to throw you off the seat. I'm not trying to discourage you, but you should have as much info as possible to make an educated decision. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:28 AM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

The trike will require more shoulder effort to steer then a two wheel. The gain is not having to lift and steady or balance. That said the trikes are very enjoyable. I can't say I miss two wheels, I handle anything on my TG that I can my Sportster

cobalt07 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:23 AM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt07
I'm an old busted up carpenter in sunny NE Ohio. Had a hip replacement 2 months ago and am having a shoulder replacement in March. I can not imagine not riding this summer, Doc said 6 month recovery for arm. I'm thinking, Freewheeler with a Rekluse auto clutch can put me back on the road by mid May or June as I won't use my left arm for the clutch. I live in the country and could get away without much turn signal use. I have been on Harleys since early '70s but never on a trike. Can I get away with 1 arm operation or are they too hard to manuever with one arm ? Also trunk lid is quite substantial, think I can mount an aftermarket trunk to it ? Thanks for any input
If you are thinking of operating a Trike with only one arm, You better test ride one now and try to do it while you still have two relatively good ones...
To be blunt you can't steer a trike using only one arm.......

cobalt07 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:26 AM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Agree

From what I know based on several friends with shoulder or rotator cuff surgery, it is going to be very hard to steer a trike for a good while. If your surgery is in March i would not think you would be able to steer a trike for at least 6 months without possibly messing up the surgery. Again, this is just what I have heard from friends with shoulder or rotator cuff surgery. It seems to be a long recovery time.

cobalt07 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:53 PM
zigzag
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased a freewheeler trike when I retired after 40 yrs of driving trucks. Have a bad shoulder and some issues with arthritis in my hands,for me the trike was hard to steer and in short even 100 mile rides were not fun.I went back to a road king and now enjoy riding again.
I've been riding almost 50 yrs. and fully understand the thought of not being able to ride sucks but if it was me I'd do the surgery and recoup time and get back to riding what you have,not to mention save a lot of $. Just my thoughts,all the best in what ever decision you make.

cobalt07 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:37 PM
cobalt07
Road Master

I appreciate all the input. It makes sense

Quick Reply: Probable Freewheeler purchase