Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

21 Tri-Glide - 12" Bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 11:36 AM
Texcuda
Tourer

Received 129 Likes on 77 Posts
Default 21 Tri-Glide - 12" Bars

I installed 12" KST Six Bend Kicker handlebars on my wife's '21 Tri-Glide this weekend. I was able to use all the stock wiring, brake line, and clutch cable without issue. It did require rerouting the clutch cable to run across the front of the frame rather than over frame, and I elected to remove the switch pack harness plugs from the plastic tray under the radio, rather than use harness extensions. All in all, it took about 2 hours and total cost was around $175, not including the Willie G grips. Her riding position is much improved and she is already commenting on how much easier it is to steer.

The following users liked this post:
flashprez (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 12:34 PM
cubalz
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks good man! I like it a lot.

Texcuda (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 06:51 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Texcuda
I installed 12" KST Six Bend Kicker handlebars on my wife's '21 Tri-Glide this weekend. I was able to use all the stock wiring, brake line, and clutch cable without issue. It did require rerouting the clutch cable to run across the front of the frame rather than over frame, and I elected to remove the switch pack harness plugs from the plastic tray under the radio, rather than use harness extensions. All in all, it took about 2 hours and total cost was around $175, not including the Willie G grips. Her riding position is much improved and she is already commenting on how much easier it is to steer.

What do you mean and what does it do to help if you elected to remove the switch pack harness plugs from the plastic tray under the radio? I would like to install 12" KST six bend handlebars on my 2013 tri glide ultra. I was hoping I would not have to change the cables and the wires.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:06 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by flashprez
What do you mean and what does it do to help if you elected to remove the switch pack harness plugs from the plastic tray under the radio? I would like to install 12" KST six bend handlebars on my 2013 tri glide ultra. I was hoping I would not have to change the cables and the wires.
I have the KST Six Benders in 14" on my 16 Tri and really like them.
On your 13 I am sure if you have the switch pack harness like the 14 and laters do but could be wrong. It sits on top of the BCM on the later model but may be there on yours.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:54 PM
Texcuda
Tourer

There a 3 female plugs total that come out of the main harness from the ECM and BCM for the switch packs on 2014+ touring bikes/trikes. The right switch pack harness has a 4 pin male plug and a 1 pin male plug. The left switch pack harness has only a 4 pin male plug. The male plugs from the switch packs plug into the 3 female plugs located on the plastic tray under the stereo. When installing longer bars, you have 2 options (at least on 2014+), remove the female switch pack plugs from the plastic tray and route them towards the rear of the bike, adding approximately 8" of wire length or buy wire harness extensions like KST Kustoms sells. Either solution works fine, it just depends on your comfort level and if the paying for the extensions is worth it to you.

Last edited by Texcuda; 07-13-2021 at 03:54 PM. Reason: grammar
Oogie Wa Wa (07-16-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 05:53 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Texcuda
There a 3 female plugs total that come out of the main harness from the ECM and BCM for the switch packs on 2014+ touring bikes/trikes. The right switch pack harness has a 4 pin male plug and a 1 pin male plug. The left switch pack harness has only a 4 pin male plug. The male plugs from the switch packs plug into the 3 female plugs located on the plastic tray under the stereo. When installing longer bars, you have 2 options (at least on 2014+), remove the female switch pack plugs from the plastic tray and route them towards the rear of the bike, adding approximately 8" of wire length or buy wire harness extensions like KST Kustoms sells. Either solution works fine, it just depends on your comfort level and if the paying for the extensions is worth it to you.
Did you have to remove your tank to take the handlebars off? I just finished putting a one inch tank lift on mine. I also did some wiring work to install my Garmin harness in the middle of my dash.

Old 07-14-2021, 11:04 AM
Texcuda
Tourer

Did you have to remove your tank to take the handlebars off? I just finished putting a one inch tank lift on mine. I also did some wiring work to install my Garmin harness in the middle of my dash.
Removal of the tank nor the tank console is required. I suggest bringing some crown royal bags (or something similiar - I used dish towels and blue painters tape) to put your brake/clutch levers in so they don't scratch anything or get damaged themselves.

flashprez (07-14-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 12:04 PM
Brenda Craig
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Why did you choose these bars? I'm 6 ft and don't find the stock bars uncomfortably (2015 model). I've been riding for about a year. I have asked a couple of people and their answer usually is, because you haven't rode with extended bars. This is my first bike/trike so I have no reference, but obviously want the most comfort. I'm willing to spend the 175 just to find out. Thx for any info you can provide.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:59 AM
Texcuda
Tourer

Originally Posted by Brenda Craig
Why did you choose these bars? I'm 6 ft and don't find the stock bars uncomfortably (2015 model). I've been riding for about a year. I have asked a couple of people and their answer usually is, because you haven't rode with extended bars. This is my first bike/trike so I have no reference, but obviously want the most comfort. I'm willing to spend the 175 just to find out. Thx for any info you can provide.
My wife is 5'3" tall and she was having difficulty reaching the short factory 8" bars while turning. The 12" bars brings her wrists and elbows up to more a natural riding position and allow for the bars be rolled backwards toward her so she can reach the bars properly while turning, etc. She has only had the opportunity to put maybe 50 miles on the new setup but she is so much happier with the taller bars that she has asked about going to a 14" tall bar. Watch this video from DK Custom Products (they're a forum sponsor fyi), it will help explain how to get the most comfort out of your bike/trike:

Old 05-08-2023, 07:03 PM
ljsdsm70
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2021 triglide

[QUOTE=Texcuda;20048499]I installed 12" KST Six Bend Kicker handlebars on my wife's '21 Tri-Glide this weekend. I was able to use all the stock wiring, brake line, and clutch cable without issue. It did require rerouting the clutch cable to run across the front of the frame rather than over frame, and I elected to remove the switch pack harness plugs from the plastic tray under the radio, rather than use harness extensions. All in all, it took about 2 hours and total cost was around $175, not including the Willie G grips. Her riding position is much improved and she is already commenting on how much easier it is to steer.

im having FBI 12" put on 2021 triglide. Need extensions and special made brake cable at Big Barn HD. Wtf

Quick Reply: 21 Tri-Glide - 12" Bars