Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trike "Mid Step"

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 01:29 PM
Lethal Weapon
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Trike "Mid Step"

This evening I just ordered a Trike Mid Step.

At first I was hesitant because it does look slightly different and "out of the norm" from the typical what the eyes are used to seeing.... But the more I kept looking, and videos of the install of what I've found, it quickly grew onto to me.

I do notice (and mentioned in one video I saw) is a slight loss of ground clearance, which I personally don't see a huge issue there ..... And although it looks close, it does not appear to be blocking any of the oil drain plugs. I can say I'm really excited for this add-on and really looks like it's going to be quite convenient.

I will be putting on matching floor boards too.

I would like to hear anyone else's opinions, thoughts and/or input including Pros or Cons including their experience with the Trike Mid Step.

Old 01-14-2024, 02:19 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,535 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Just my personal opinion here but from what I've read and seen these work very well for some and not so well for others.

My riding partner has a LOT of metal in his body and he put one of these on his Tri-Glide and DOES NOT use it at all so I guess it depends on what part of your body isn't working as it should.

Again, just my personal opinion, before I purchased one of these "aids" I would at least try other methods of mounting my trike.
The method of (from the LH side of your trike) placing your RIGHT foot on the LEFT rider's footboard, then placing your LEFT foot onto the passenger's footboard, then taking your RIGHT foot across the seat to the RIGHT rider's footboard then sitting on the seat.
Works well for some, not so well for others but certainly worth a try.

After a bad fall in a bathtub/shower unit on my way to Alaska 23 years ago I was forced to learn a different way of mounting my two-wheeler (as I couldn't raise my right foot and leg at all) I converted to mounting from the right side and I still use that method even when I mount my trike and now trying to mout from the left side seems foreign to me!

The following users liked this post:
NCPiper (01-30-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 02:43 PM
Lethal Weapon
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Just my personal opinion here but from what I've read and seen these work very well for some and not so well for others.

My riding partner has a LOT of metal in his body and he put one of these on his Tri-Glide and DOES NOT use it at all so I guess it depends on what part of your body isn't working as it should.

Again, just my personal opinion, before I purchased one of these "aids" I would at least try other methods of mounting my trike.
The method of (from the LH side of your trike) placing your RIGHT foot on the LEFT rider's footboard, then placing your LEFT foot onto the passenger's footboard, then taking your RIGHT foot across the seat to the RIGHT rider's footboard then sitting on the seat.
Works well for some, not so well for others but certainly worth a try.

After a bad fall in a bathtub/shower unit on my way to Alaska 23 years ago I was forced to learn a different way of mounting my two-wheeler (as I couldn't raise my right foot and leg at all) I converted to mounting from the right side and I still use that method even when I mount my trike and now trying to mout from the left side seems foreign to me!
What have you heard from anyone saying that "they don't work well for others"?
- What complaints or cons were they talking about that you heard?

Personally, I'm not having a hard time getting on or off whatsoever ... including my other two wheels (Road King).
It definitely should help the wife getting on and off the Tri Glide as a passenger from the looks of it. It should help her from kicking the paint too...So I simply purchased it out of convenience and not a necessity and more for her.

I'm really not sure if I'll personally use it. (I guess I will find out this spring).

I was just looking for personal experience and input from anyone on here who has this "Mid Step" assembly and anything I should look out for before I get to installing it.

Thanks.

Last edited by Lethal Weapon; 01-14-2024 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2024, 08:04 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

I had a Mid Step on the other trike, and will be looking for one for my new TG. I loved it, easier to mount and dis mount, especially with a passenger.

if anyone has a used mid step or knows of anyone want to sell, I’m a buyer

Nokkon Wud (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 12:04 AM
Lethal Weapon
Road Master

Originally Posted by Casper
I had a Mid Step on the other trike, and will be looking for one for my new TG. I loved it, easier to mount and dis mount, especially with a passenger.

if anyone has a used mid step or knows of anyone want to sell, I’m a buyer
Thank you for your input!
(I was looking for a used one at first too.... If I come across one, I'll let you know).

Thanks!

Casper (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 04:13 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

I have one on my 16 and use it every time my wife and I get on the bike and off.

Dfriz (01-24-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 04:49 AM
Lethal Weapon
Road Master

Originally Posted by santajim
I have one on my 16 and use it every time my wife and I get on the bike and off.
Thanks, and obviously no complaints.
Which is good to know.
I'm looking forward to getting it installed..... mainly for the wife since she's short legged.

Last edited by Lethal Weapon; 01-15-2024 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-15-2024, 07:55 AM
TOHOG
Supporter
Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts

I have a Mid Step for my 2018 Tri-glide. I thought it would assist my wife with on-off, but she still uses the passenger foot pegs to mount. For myself I found the minor lift does not make that much difference. What I didn't like was the awkward way it was to do oil changes with my J&S jack in place. I had hoped to be able to do oil changes while the trike was in the air. This was not possible and made a mess. After two summers with it on I removed it last fall to clean it and the underside of the trike. Not ready to sell because I'm nearly 82 and may actually need it some day but for me, it really didn't provide what I thought I need it.

Old 01-15-2024, 08:03 AM
huskerBG
Advanced
Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Love mine. Found a used one here on HDForums about a year ago. Makes it easier for both my bride and I to get on and off. It does reduce clearance a bit, but haven’t had any issues related to that.

Old 01-15-2024, 09:11 AM
Lethal Weapon
Road Master

Originally Posted by huskerBG
Love mine. Found a used one here on HDForums about a year ago. Makes it easier for both my bride and I to get on and off. It does reduce clearance a bit, but haven’t had any issues related to that.
Great news to hear!
Thank you!

huskerBG (01-16-2024)

Quick Reply: Trike "Mid Step"