Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Pipes burning my leg

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipes burning my leg

I put this in the touring forum also, but also need feed back from TriGlide owners. People are suggesting I put on duals, but not sure that would work on the Tri...here is my post....

Went to a Rally this past weekend and this is the first real warm temps we've had since I bought the bike. I could feel the heat on my calf, but once the temp reached 88 Degrees, OMG. Coming home I was so distracted because it felt like a hole was being burned in my leg. I put my leg up, stretched it forward, held my leg out away from the bike, anything to give me a break. I am short and bought a trike because every Harley I sat on, my leg would rest against some part of the engine. What can I do so I can enjoy the ride this summer? I really don't want heat wrap on the pipe. This is serious burn and I have a huge red mark on my leg. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:07 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

RJ Shields, a sponsor, no more fried thighs, would be a good start.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:10 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ironhorsepilot,

I guess I’m a little surprised to hear your complaint. Our summers here run from 100-120+ degrees and one of the reasons that I bought the Tri-Glide is because I had to put long pants on just to run a quick 15 min. errand on my ’08 Heritage Classic because I too am short and stopping at a stop light would result in instant burn with short pants.

With the Tri-Glide I am able to jump on the bike with shorts and not burn my legs. I installed a set of long, 360 degree adjustable Footpegs and mounts. I keep my feet up on the pegs except when shifting and braking. Not only dose this keep my legs away from the hot pipes; I find it an extremely comfortable way to ride the trike!

Hope this solves your problem!

Jim

Old 04-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,037 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Joanne

Is it the right side rear pipe burning your thigh? Or is it from both sides from the rear cylinder maybe??

I think the TG's already have the seat shields on them from the factory if I'm not mistaking.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

Wizard,
It's the right pipe on the rear cylinder. And it is the back of my calf, not my thighs.

Thejimer....I don't think I could reach the pegs, even like you have them set up. I stretch my leg completely forward and it goes no further then the back brake petal without over stretching and causing a cramp. I'm a hard case. I talked to my dealer and what they recommend will cost over $1000 and cost me gas milage. So what to do, what to do.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:58 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try a tuning solution. It's not cheap but it helps the bike run cooler and better. Also an oil cooler would help. And $1000 isn't that much when it comes to Harley's these days. A tuner, Dyno, and oil cooler will cost more if it's a good tuner. I went with TTS Mastertune and I'm extremely happy with it.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,037 Likes on 1,105 Posts

K..

Like we were saying on the other site. You need to add fuel to the motor to cool it down. Yes, it will cost you some gas but not much. If you put in the right fuel management system it may save you gas while riding in certain RPM ranges. It's all in how it is set up.

09 touring models have the new exhaust system piping method. The rear pipe now comes down between the transmission and the timing cover putting it closer to your calf. For a short rider this is going to be trouble. It still may be even if you cool down your motor with a fuel management system.

I am only guessing but Harley told you a grand... was that for true duals? That will remove the rear pipe just behind your calf but, and there is always a but, you will need a fuel management system if you change to true duals.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

I am way over my head here. Are true duals when the pipes are on both sides of the bike? I don't know if that was what they were talking about. We were just discussing rush slip ons. $1000 probably isn't that much, but would be if I wasn't happy, right???? I am sure hubby will do this if it is what it takes, I am just a very frugal person.

Last edited by Ironhorsepilot; 04-27-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:33 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was gonna suggest heat wrap used for headers for an idea but the new header pipe is diiferent on the 09 models

Old 04-27-2009, 07:00 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
You could try a tuning solution. It's not cheap but it helps the bike run cooler and better. Also an oil cooler would help. And $1000 isn't that much when it comes to Harley's these days. A tuner, Dyno, and oil cooler will cost more if it's a good tuner. I went with TTS Mastertune and I'm extremely happy with it.
The Tri Glides already come with an oil cooler. They certainly do run hot. Putting tru duals on would not solve the problem.

Quick Reply: Pipes burning my leg