Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Pipes burning my leg

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,037 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Due to the frame changes in the 09's I am not sure if 07 and up duals will fit. I've asked this question before. Does anyone know for sure? FLTR, do you know?

Joanne... what "true" duals will do is eliminate the rear pipe on the right side. It will be redirected to the back left side just above the passenger floorboard. Go to my picture album here and you will see a pic of what the right side of the motor will look like without the rear pipe coming out on that side. On my left side the pipe sticks out a little further because of the design of the Rinehart rear pipe. It isn't as close to the frame or under the left side cover as other models.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 04-27-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:43 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as I can tell there isnt any difference that would keep someone from putting aftermarket true duals on a 09 Triglide. Only thing for them is they would need a the " S " elbow extention like we have to get the exhaust to the rear of the trike body

Old 04-27-2009, 11:36 PM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Joanie,

I'm only the passenger but haven't heard my hubby mention the pipes being hot, etc - know they haven't been for me and we currently ride in Texas...

Back in 1999 or 2000 when I was first riding as a passenger on Mac's '98 Sportster, I always complained of the inner part of my calf 'burning' - the right side...

We lived in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida and rode all over including Lake Okeechobee; Miami; Key West area thoughout the entire year... Yes, sometimes it was really hot weather...

Noticed as we continued to ride so much that the heat no longer bothered my leg - I believe it was because of putting so many miles on the Sportster that my leg got used to it - or really 'toughened' up...

I have no idea what to do in your situation but really wish you the best - you certainly don't want to worry about the 'temps' you are riding in...

We'll know more as we're leaving in the morning riding west into Tucson, Arizona and beyond - we'll see what the warmer temps do for us on the TriGlide...

Our best to you...

Old 04-28-2009, 05:32 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tri Glides Certinly Run Hot

Yesterday it reached 83 degrees in NE Ohio. I took my trike to have the 3 M film applied. I will leave that discussion for another day. Traveling up Interstate 90 at 70 mph the trike got extremely hot. I replaced my fairing air temp gauge with a oil temp gauge and it pegged out at 300 degrees.

At 70 mph in 6th gear ( by myself ) the tach was reading 2700 rpm and the motor was pinging. That is not a good thing. As far as I can tell running in 6th gear is not really any good till you are at least 75+ mph. I am going to run my trike in 5th gear to eliminate the pinging which will eventually burn a hole in the piston.

Harley certainly has a heat issue with their motors. My 06 Ultra would never get above 230 degrees. I had the SE BB kit, SE 204 cams, head work, and the SERT. To eliminate the heat issues on the Tri Glide I would have to spend a consideriable amount of money and then my warranty will be void.I am just going to complain and ride it as it is under warranty.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:06 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Yesterday it reached 83 degrees in NE Ohio. I took my trike to have the 3 M film applied. I will leave that discussion for another day. Traveling up Interstate 90 at 70 mph the trike got extremely hot. I replaced my fairing air temp gauge with a oil temp gauge and it pegged out at 300 degrees.

At 70 mph in 6th gear ( by myself ) the tach was reading 2700 rpm and the motor was pinging. That is not a good thing. As far as I can tell running in 6th gear is not really any good till you are at least 75+ mph. I am going to run my trike in 5th gear to eliminate the pinging which will eventually burn a hole in the piston.

Harley certainly has a heat issue with their motors. My 06 Ultra would never get above 230 degrees. I had the SE BB kit, SE 204 cams, head work, and the SERT. To eliminate the heat issues on the Tri Glide I would have to spend a consideriable amount of money and then my warranty will be void.I am just going to complain and ride it as it is under warranty.
Wow, 300 degree!! I havent seen mine get above 210 riding here at the beach. Now saying that I do have the oil cooler, using Amsoil synthetic 20/50 and a Power Commander 5 from Fuel Moto.

I saw comment about fuel mileage earlier in a post, I average 36 to 40 mpg here around town with my 103" motor

Old 04-28-2009, 06:41 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peggy, Does you hubby wear tall boots? Mine does and he is of course taller than me, so I don't think the heat would bother him so much. I am going to see if my tall equestrian boots will keep my leg from getting burned....if so, I will order the leather half chaps.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:59 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
Wow, 300 degree!! I havent seen mine get above 210 riding here at the beach. Now saying that I do have the oil cooler, using Amsoil synthetic 20/50 and a Power Commander 5 from Fuel Moto.

I saw comment about fuel mileage earlier in a post, I average 36 to 40 mpg here around town with my 103" motor
I also have an oil cooler. My gas milage is at this point in time arounr 33 mpg. I only have 650 miles on mine and when I have the 1000 mile check up I am switching to SYN 3. The new 103's are known to run hot. I had no idea how hot they run. If I didn't have the oil temp gauge I wouldn't know either.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joanne,

I’ve been thinking about you’re problem and I’m convinced that a quick, simple, cheap (relative in Harley dollars) is a set of long arm, multi-adjustable foot peg mounts!

I understand that you are short and worried about reaching the peg without cramping up; I have mine adjusted that on a long stretch of highway were I don’t anticipate shifting or braking for awhile, I can stretch out my leg and rest the arch of my foot on the peg. However, most of the time I have my heel resting on the floorboard and toe on the peg!
The way I have mine adjusted, the peg is actually closer to the driver than the brake petal is. This is what I envision you doing; it not only keeps your legs away from the hot engine but it is also a very comfortable way to ride the trike!

Jim

Old 04-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would I have a problem with it interfering with the brake petal? Obviously not for you, but did it take getting used to? I would like to try that.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:59 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
Would I have a problem with it interfering with the brake petal? Obviously not for you, but did it take getting used to? I would like to try that.
If you have them adjusted right you won't have any problems getting to the brake pedal. My dad has a set of the long angled peg mounts on his Triglide and I can get my size 11 foot to the brake pedal with no problems.

Quick Reply: Pipes burning my leg