Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Pipes burning my leg

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:07 PM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhorsepilot
Peggy, to answer your questions......I was traveling highway speeds when it started getting hot. Temps somewhere in the upper 70's low 80's since we were traveling in the morning. Not a lot of wind, but the direction was southwest and we were traveling northwest. I did forget to upon my lower vents. I didn't even know I had vents on the batwing fairing. I wear over the ankle boots and Lee Jeans. No chaps.
Hope you guys are enjoying your trip. I'm jealous and so is my hubby. He wants so bad to just take off on a trip for a while. I just need to figure out what to do with the critters.
Joanie, thanks for the answers... And thanks to the comments and suggestions by everyone else too - I sure enjoy reading them and learning more...

It sounds like you got the heat like Mike did when he drove to his dealers the other day... Sure does sound like something is wrong for your trikes to get so hot in 70 or 80 degree temps... Those are usual figures for us and don't get the heat like you guys...

Have to say: This afternoon we rode into Tucson, Arizona - it was 94 degrees, hot.... We were to get off at exit 258 but they had construction so exits 258 - 248 were closed and to reach any of those exits everyone had to exit I-10 at exit 259...

Now we had been cruising at 75/80MPH with a SW wind of 15 - not too bad but I wasn't hot - felt comfortable - you all would pass out if you saw all that I had on...

Okay, riding in the stop and go traffic, with the above 90 temps when we were stopped for traffic or for a longggg light, the (one something-hubby is asleep) would shut off to cool off the engine... As soon as we'd start to roll or go forward, it would come back on... (I forgot what it's called...)

Once we got to our (cheap) motel, checked in etc - the room wasn't ready so we had to wait... Well, I was just too hot so started 'stripping'... Got into the motel room, dropped our bags, I retrieved my gloves and helmet and off we were to a restaurant... Forgot to put my chaps back on... Believe it or not, when I wear them it's cooler for me when the sun is out as the sun hits on the leather not my jeans...

Tomorrow we're headed for Flagstaff - think the temps are way below 60 - I'll freeze... Might be running into some rain, too - so far our trunk hasn't leaked so will keep you posted...

Joanie - that's why we don't have any 'critters'...

Old 05-02-2009, 07:33 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Peggy: You said the trunk didn't leak. Was the only thing done was the gasket replaced by the dealer??

Old 05-02-2009, 10:17 PM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Peggy: You said the trunk didn't leak. Was the only thing done was the gasket replaced by the dealer??
Mike - they did that but it still leaked... Dealer said HD sent them a stronger glue so they resealed the corners...

There was one of the 'cables' - things that are on each side of the inside of the trunk that hold the trunk door from falling down on the ground... One of the ends of one of ours was not 'folding' the correct way - Mac fixed that one...

Also - when you all are closing your trunk make sure the cables/wires that go through the trunk door to the license plate (light) ??? - that they are not caught up and that your trunk door closes on them - that would 'break your seal'...

In other words make sure all the things attached to the trunk door are inside the trunk and out of the way of the trunk edges when closing the trunk...

Same way with putting 'luggage' or items you're carrying inside the trunk - don't hit them on the gaskets...

Old 05-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never noticed the wire to the license plate, only the two that hold the door.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Kyhog1
Stage III

I own a 2010 trike and have complained about the heat and poor gas mileage since I got it in May 2010. Vance & Hines pipes were installed at set-up by the dealership. They claimed that was the reason it ran hot and affected the MPG. I was at a rally and stopped at Renegade HD & asked them to look at it. The original dealership never re- calibrated the computer for the Vance & Hines pipes or changed to a high flow filter. The mileage increased but the heat was still a major factor. I got severe burns on my right leg while wearing jeans and didn't touch the pipes. Spoke to customer service at headquarters and their response was to go back to the dealer. This spring I found out that Wildcat HD in London, KY has one of the few trike dynamometers. Took the bike there this week. Talked to tech and service manager about the issues, they tested the bike on the dynamometer and found it to be running slightly hotter than the normal range. They called headquarters but they refused to pay for any modifications. So, I paid to have them replace the headpipes and install Vance & Hines power dual headpipes. They also installed a super tuner and adjusted the bike on the dynamometer to reflect my driving habits. I rode the bike for 1-1/2 hours on expressway and city streets. The heat was no longer an issue and my MPG was increased signifigantly. You need to find a dealership with a trike dynamometer to target issues on your bike. This is the best I have felt about the trike since I bought it. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2011, 06:45 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

You did exactly what you needed to do. The heat went away because you got rid of the cats in your head pipe and had it tuned properly.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Mr Bulldog
Novice

My 2011 trike has a lot of heat even on cool days. for me footpegs on the outside of the lower cowlings did the trick for personal comfort. I ride the pegs all the time except when shifting and braking. In addition to the built in system that shuts down the back cylendar when hot which activated the other day in heavy traffic with a parade fan working in conjunction, it kept the bike from heating up and having to shut it down to cool. I love the parade fan but it does pump additional heat onto the right side. My passenger does not seem to be affected, but I was thus the pegs... Works for me..

Old 08-25-2011, 07:26 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

loose the Cats and loose the lowers...

just to test the idea - loose the lowers and go for a ride

Old 08-26-2011, 04:58 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

If you lose the cats and get it tuned you will not have to lose the lowers.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:40 PM
FrankBarba
Stage II

I have a 2013 Tri, the heat is unbearable. At 400 miles i could no longer ride due to the heat issue. I called my dealer they suggested a State 1, with V & H duals, High Flow Air Intake, and HD EFI tune cost 2K. All this did was open up the exhaust, fuel mileage is bad (150 Miles) on full tank, and my leg is getting singed again. Spoke with the dealer again and cost $ 50.00 for them to say that they have the correct program.

I now have 600 miles and the dealer says that is the way it is. Don't know if this is HD's way of blowing off my problem ?

Now i'm looking at adding a turbo to bring the heat down.

Last edited by FrankBarba; 08-01-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: wording

Quick Reply: Pipes burning my leg