Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

'09 & '10 Touring Model Recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:28 PM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Peggy, I‘m so sure that H-D ever published a list of motorcycle serial numbers subject to the recall. The bulletin simply states that: certain model year 2009 and 2010 Touring family vehicles (including CVO touring and Trike products) built June 6, 2008 through November 19, 2009.

The 6th. digit of your 17 digit V.I.N Numeral denotes the introduction date, i.e. 1= Regular, 2= Mid-year 3-6= California introduction dates and the 8th. digit of the V.I.N denotes the model year.

By looking at these production dates, I think that it is safe to say that 100% of the 2009 Tri-Glides manufactured for sale within the U.S are affected and probably 99.9% of the 2010’s!

I have not received an official recall notice yet so I don’t know if that will have the serial number listed.

Regarding the second part of your post: are you now thinking that the accident possibly had something to do with Mac’s injury?

As to them not knowing much about his condition because it is so rare; that is referred to as “orphan disease or orphan syndrome”, meaning that because it is so rare, nobody has spent much time or money researching it and you are pretty much alone…which is a scary position to be in and I truly sympathize with you.

Best of luck to you and Mac!
Jim, my thanks to you and numerous others... To comment on some of what you wrote above:
I did a google search - came up with a site to input vin # along with some other info on the TriGlide (Safety Campaign History) - got a response back from Chris Hager at Berwyn, Ill HD: chris@ilharley.com

Yes, we are among the recalls - you stated 6th digit in Vin#, should that be 8th digit...? Our 6th digit is an A, 8th digit is a 1....

I don't know if being rear ended is what caused Mac's problems (Let me say, Mac had the lesions but whether anything would have happened this soon without the rear end, we don't know)... Just seems awfully funny that now there is a recall that pertains to 'front-end collisions'...

I do agree with you and wonder how this was discovered - was someone seriously injured or killed for them to come up with the recall...?

Old 12-16-2009, 04:31 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Had my TG at the shop tody for other concerns that I have and they installed the recall fix. It is not much. It took about 10 minutes and all they had to do is install some plastic parts on the front of the gas tank. Hats off to Erie HD for getting this recall completed so quickly.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Had my TG at the shop tody for other concerns that I have and they installed the recall fix. It is not much. It took about 10 minutes and all they had to do is install some plastic parts on the front of the gas tank. Hats off to Erie HD for getting this recall completed so quickly.
Mike, did you receive a notification in the mail or did the dealer just automatically do the recall because you had other issues?

Old 12-17-2009, 05:48 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
Mike, did you receive a notification in the mail or did the dealer just automatically do the recall because you had other issues?
Jim: I did not receive anything in the mail. The dealer just automatically did the recall because my Trike was there. I am very fortunate that I have a good dealer.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:34 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Jim: I did not receive anything in the mail. The dealer just automatically did the recall because my Trike was there. I am very fortunate that I have a good dealer.
Thanks, I wonder if an official notification will be mailed out?

Has anyone received a recall notice in the mail?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:00 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

If anyone that hasn't had the recall done and is interested here is a picture of what they will install on each side of the front gas tank mount. It is the black piece which is plastic, they also replace the little covers that go over the front tank bolts.

Last edited by msocko3; 01-17-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:44 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I checked my Vin # on the site provided...and I received a letter from HD. My dealer did not have the parts available as yet. Since the weather is crappy, not riding...I'm not in a rush-rush to get the parts replaced.

My thoughts are with Peggy and Mac....think about them often.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cubbear42
Jim, my thanks to you and numerous others... To comment on some of what you wrote above:
I did a google search - came up with a site to input vin # along with some other info on the TriGlide (Safety Campaign History) - got a response back from Chris Hager at Berwyn, Ill HD: chris@ilharley.com

Yes, we are among the recalls - you stated 6th digit in Vin#, should that be 8th digit...? Our 6th digit is an A, 8th digit is a 1....

I don't know if being rear ended is what caused Mac's problems (Let me say, Mac had the lesions but whether anything would have happened this soon without the rear end, we don't know)... Just seems awfully funny that now there is a recall that pertains to 'front-end collisions'...

I do agree with you and wonder how this was discovered - was someone seriously injured or killed for them to come up with the recall...?
Same here Peggy....6th digit is A, 8th digit is 1.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,037 Likes on 1,105 Posts

First, my condolences to the family of the fallen officer.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-bea...er-Recall.html

NBCDFW.com The motorcycle involved in a fiery crash that claimed the life of an Arlington police officer had been recalled for a potentially serious safety issue but had not yet been repaired, police said Thursday.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the problem would be more involved that adding a plastic piece!

Quick Reply: '09 & '10 Touring Model Recall