Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

'09 & '10 Touring Model Recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:03 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '09 & '10 Touring Model Recall

Another interesting item over in the Touring section that will effect most of us 2009 & 2010 TG owners!

Recall coming for certain 09 and 10 tourers
Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on certain model year 2009 and 2010 Touring family vehicles (including CVO touring and Trike products) built June 6, 2008 through November 19, 2009. On these vehicles, the fuel tank front mounts may distort in reaction to severe frame damage from a frontal collision. This condition may cause a fuel leak at the weld of the front bracket to the tunnel. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire, which could lead to injury or death of the rider.

We have voluntarily declared this a defect related to motor vehicle safety (Campaign 0141) to allow us to formally recall all affected motorcycles. The remedy is to install a left and right hand brace provided in the recall kit, between the front mounts and the frame. These braces are intended to reduce front mount distortion during the crash conditions described above. A service bulletin outlining the repair and credit procedure will follow within ten days. Based on the schedule our supplier has provided we expect to begin shipping repair kits on or before the week of
December 14, 2009. Please reference the Service Bulletin for a detailed description of the defect.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,037 Likes on 1,105 Posts

You will need to check your VIN#

Service Check-up - See maintenance plans for your bike | Harley-Davidson USA

Here's the entire letter....

Dear Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Owner:

This notice is being sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on certain model year 2009 and 2010 Touring family vehicles (including CVO touring and Trike products) built June 6, 2008 through November 19, 2009. On these vehicles, the fuel tank front mounts may distort in reaction to severe frame damage from a frontal collision. This condition may cause a fuel leak at the weld of the front bracket to the tunnel. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire, which could lead to injury or death of the rider.

Our records indicate that you purchased one of the affected motorcycles.

We strongly urge you to contact your dealer to make arrangements to have the appropriate service performed as soon as possible.

Please contact your authorized Harley-Davidson motorcycle dealer immediately and arrange an appointment to have your motorcycle repaired. Your dealer will install a left and right hand brace, which are intended to reduce front mount distortion during certain crash conditions. Actual dealer labor time to perform this service will be less than one hour; however, due to scheduling, the dealer may require your motorcycle for a longer period of time. The parts and labor will be free of charge to you.

To verify that the service has been completed, your dealer will ask you to sign a recall claim. If you have sold your motorcycle, please forward the appropriate information about your purchaser. This will enable us to contact him/her and advise that person of this recall. Also, Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.

If you have had this defect repaired before you received this letter, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of the problem associated with this recall. For more information contact Harley-Davidson at 1-414-343-4056. Should you choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition.

If you take your motorcycle to your dealer on a mutually agreed upon date and they do not perform the required service to your satisfaction, please contact Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. for immediate assistance at the address or telephone number listed on this letterhead. If your dealer or Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. fails or is unable to remedy your motorcycle without charge within a reasonable time, you may wish to inform the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Washington, DC 20590, or call the toll-free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or contact NHTSA at Safercar.gov.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause you, but we are initiating this action in the interest of your personal safety and satisfaction with our products. Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:24 PM
krw
Tourer

Thanks for the heads up!

Old 12-03-2009, 05:43 PM
dabirds1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info

Old 12-13-2009, 07:31 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

My TG vin number is on the recall list....when the snow is gone will call my dealer to pick up.

Last edited by BinIdaho; 12-13-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,037 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Where did my post go? I responded to the recall this morning and now it's gone.....hate when that happens! My TG vin number is on the recall list....when the snow is gone will call my dealer to pick up.
Barb.. you replied in the other trike forum this morning.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:23 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

CRS big time

Old 12-14-2009, 12:45 AM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
My TG vin number is on the recall list....when the snow is gone will call my dealer to pick up.
Barb - where is the recall list so we can check the vin number for our TG - think we got ours around the same time - maybe a little earlier than you...

This really bothers me - the more I hear, the madder I get - when we were rear-ended on July 13, 2009 riding West on I-40 in Tennessee it was exactly 3 months when Mac had his surgery....!!!!

We read about 'whip lash', etc... Our witness was so upset, she expected to see two bodies flying through the air...

Mac has had a hard time - some has been 'touch and go' - not knowing if I'm going to loose him or not...

Funny thing is: He has 'such a rare case' they've never seen something like this...!!!

Old 12-15-2009, 06:00 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Does anyone know the history of how the defect that resulted in this recall was discovered? Was it the result of a tragic accident or discovered in some routine testing (if such a thing even exists)?

Old 12-15-2009, 06:57 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cubbear42
Barb - where is the recall list so we can check the vin number for our TG - think we got ours around the same time - maybe a little earlier than you...

This really bothers me - the more I hear, the madder I get - when we were rear-ended on July 13, 2009 riding West on I-40 in Tennessee it was exactly 3 months when Mac had his surgery....!!!!

We read about 'whip lash', etc... Our witness was so upset, she expected to see two bodies flying through the air...

Mac has had a hard time - some has been 'touch and go' - not knowing if I'm going to loose him or not...

Funny thing is: He has 'such a rare case' they've never seen something like this...!!!
Peggy, I‘m so sure that H-D ever published a list of motorcycle serial numbers subject to the recall. The bulletin simply states that: certain model year 2009 and 2010 Touring family vehicles (including CVO touring and Trike products) built June 6, 2008 through November 19, 2009.

The 6th. digit of your 17 digit V.I.N Numeral denotes the introduction date, i.e. 1= Regular, 2= Mid-year 3-6= California introduction dates and the 8th. digit of the V.I.N denotes the model year.

By looking at these production dates, I think that it is safe to say that 100% of the 2009 Tri-Glides manufactured for sale within the U.S are affected and probably 99.9% of the 2010’s!

I have not received an official recall notice yet so I don’t know if that will have the serial number listed.

Regarding the second part of your post: are you now thinking that the accident possibly had something to do with Mac’s injury?

As to them not knowing much about his condition because it is so rare; that is referred to as “orphan disease or orphan syndrome”, meaning that because it is so rare, nobody has spent much time or money researching it and you are pretty much alone…which is a scary position to be in and I truly sympathize with you.

Best of luck to you and Mac!

Quick Reply: '09 & '10 Touring Model Recall