Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Added a rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 03:41 PM
41inWV
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Added a rear bumper

Good day for putting a few miles on my new Tri Glide. Tooled by my dealer and wound up buying a rear bumper for the '09. Went home and installed it, pretty simple how it went on.

The unit looks good, and is actually FUNCTIONAL. Will save the rear end when I back into the garage.

Getting more used to steering this thing. I got my old seat on it, and the back rest a couple days ago. Each of these things brings a little of the old feel to the bike.

Afraid it's going to be a while getting used to some of these sweeping or Ess curves around here at any speed. Curves like bridge approaches etc. Not so much for the sensation of the trike trying to tip, more my rider position feeling more 'on' the bike than I used to feel 'in' the bike.

I have a couple hundred miles on it now.....and I ain't givin' it back !!

Old 06-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 41inWV

Getting more used to steering this thing. I got my old seat on it, and the back rest a couple days ago. Each of these things brings a little of the old feel to the bike.
Question of curiosity: What is it that you like about your old seat as opposed to the trike seat? How is it different and by what way(s)?
I'm getting to the point where I dread taking a long trip with the stock TG seat that I have. It's that uncomfortable for me. And what's the purpose of that hole??
I just don't have 500+ bucks at this time to replace the seat.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:15 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 41inWV
Afraid it's going to be a while getting used to some of these sweeping or Ess curves around here at any speed. Curves like bridge approaches etc. Not so much for the sensation of the trike trying to tip, more my rider position feeling more 'on' the bike than I used to feel 'in' the bike.

I have a couple hundred miles on it now.....and I ain't givin' it back !!
I think that you will surprise yourself as to how quickly you will be flying through the twisties but you are very wise in doing a slow learning cure.

Glad that you are enjoying your TG!

Jim

Old 06-26-2010, 05:34 PM
41inWV
Club Member

Boom
I had my seat made for my '09 Ultra. I had 'Mean City Cycles' build it. I'm right at 6' 0'' but only have a 30" inseam, so they narrowed the nose of the seat so I was more flat footed with my Ultra. They also use all the gel pads etc. to get the seat 'just right' for YOU. I probably dont really need the narrower nose with the Tri Glide, but The seat just 'fits' me.

When I contacted them and they asked what bike and year, then my physical measurements, they suggested I get an '08 seat because the seat pans on the '08 were better for them to work with. (hey would have done my '09 seat, but preferred the '08). I bought a new '08 take off seat on EBay, and they did the rest.

Even with buying another seat, their pricing still saved me over buying from several of the popular aftermarket vendors. Nothing against any of them, I'm just more than satisfied with 'Mean City Cycle's' work.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:33 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't mind the stock seat on my TG....put a sheepskin cover over and very comfy on long trips.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

I have a ProPad, Alaska sheep skin and some other "pads"...one of the most comfortable seats I've owned was a Sun downer. Course this was on my 07 Classic...it was narrow at the nose and sat very comfortable on long rides....may try one on the TG if the UC seat gives me problems, but I don't see this seat being an issue.

Maybe try a Zeppelin? Now that feet reaching the ground isn't an issue anymore ( short legs)...but that's down the road...

Old 06-27-2010, 08:40 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Functional Chrome

With that Tri body being fiberglass the rear bumper is about the most funtional piece of chrome you can buy.

I like chrome on black and tend to over do it but the rear bumper should come on the Tri and not be an add on!

As well as a beefy oil cooler and a parade fan!

Most would pass on a car that did not have bumpers!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:08 AM
41inWV
Club Member

for what we paid for these bikesI would think the rear bumper SHOULD be standard equipment, however, for just under 200 bucks after 30 day parts discount, it didn't break the bank. I was shocked it wasn't twice the price.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Casper
I have a ProPad, Alaska sheep skin and some other "pads"...one of the most comfortable seats I've owned was a Sun downer. Course this was on my 07 Classic...it was narrow at the nose and sat very comfortable on long rides....may try one on the TG if the UC seat gives me problems, but I don't see this seat being an issue.

Maybe try a Zeppelin? Now that feet reaching the ground isn't an issue anymore ( short legs)...but that's down the road...
The zep is on my wishlist.......on Ebay new for about $580 shipped. Looks like closest thing to get rid of "burn butt"!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
The zep is on my wishlist.......on Ebay new for about $580 shipped. Looks like closest thing to get rid of "burn butt"!
Some of the dealerships that offer the 20% off should beat that price. Even at 700.00 new minus 20% is 560.00 and some offer free shipping.
I bought a lot of parts from Lake Shore HD, 20% off and shipped free.

Quick Reply: Added a rear bumper