Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Feedback from Tri Glide owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 03:14 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by myrubyredtrike
I have a 2010 Tri-Glide and am experiencing what others are discussing, loss of power and excessive heat. Last week I took the trike in for the 5,000 mile check-up and we discussed the problems. The dealer is suggesting I put on slip-ons, air cleaner and stage 1 download. Has anyone done this to their trike? It was also suggested to change the front sprocket on the rear belt.
Don't waste you money on the stage 1 download. When I 1st took delivery of my 2010 TG I had air cleaner, slip ons and a stage 1 download. I was not impressed, I was quite disappointed in what a slug it was. It wouldn't go up hills very well and the fuel mileage plain sucked. The stage 1 download doesn't address the very lean AFR the MoCo is running due to emissions. A good tune is what it will require using either PCV, SEST or TTS. The suggestion of changing to a 30 tooth transmission sprocket will also be a big help.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:17 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Don't waste you money on the stage 1 download. When I 1st took delivery of my 2010 TG I had air cleaner, slip ons and a stage 1 download. I was not impressed, I was quite disappointed in what a slug it was. It wouldn't go up hills very well and the fuel mileage plain sucked. The stage 1 download doesn't address the very lean AFR the MoCo is running due to emissions. A good tune is what it will require using either PCV, SEST or TTS. The suggestion of changing to a 30 tooth transmission sprocket will also be a big help.
I agree on getting a tuner if you do a stage one and with the better tuners if you make more mods you can easily change maps without having to pay the dealer each time. imo The 30t pulley change is one of the best single changes to make, it just doesnt help with the heat.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:24 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by icebite1
I agree on getting a tuner if you do a stage one and with the better tuners if you make more mods you can easily change maps without having to pay the dealer each time. imo The 30t pulley change is one of the best single changes to make, it just doesnt help with the heat.
I agree the pulley is what is neded. I can live with the poor gearing by down shifting. Now the heat is another issue. Being that I own a 2009 without cats I don't have the same heat issues as the 10 & 11 owners but it still did run very hot.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 458 Likes on 281 Posts

Picked up a 2011 Ultra TG last Monday. Put 100 miles on it then left on a trip to Maggie Valley Rally. Was very happy, power was fine climbing the mountains; I guess the 30 tooth gear really helps. Gas milage was acceptable; two up fully loaded running I 40 at 70MPG on the way home I got almost 36MPG . Heat was there, but was not really excessive. A week later, the trike has just about 1000 miles on it.

Last edited by bronxbill; 10-03-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 PM
PopDukes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoy your new trike Bronx!

Hi All, back from some heavy world travel. NOt able to get on much the last few months. Finally finished my 09. Added the PM Rims. All finished with the bling now and performance is acceptable after all the fixens. RJ's deflectors have helped with the external heat. Oil temp now running no higher than 220. Even in 100* SFV weather, still never over 240 in traffic.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:51 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by PopDukes
Enjoy your new trike Bronx!

Hi All, back from some heavy world travel. NOt able to get on much the last few months. Finally finished my 09. Added the PM Rims. All finished with the bling now and performance is acceptable after all the fixens. RJ's deflectors have helped with the external heat. Oil temp now running no higher than 220. Even in 100* SFV weather, still never over 240 in traffic.
Missed ya. Glad to have you back.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:04 AM
dw2169
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just purchased a 2011 Tri Glide and have only rode 26 miles test riding it. I had an 2008 Ultra Classic with the Lehman Kit with a stage one map, big sucker air, and 02 screaming eagle pipes. With the 08, I could really feel the road in the turns, had good power with the 96, and heat that was manageable with HD heat shields. The 2011 steers much easier although I don't get much road feedback, 6th gear is finally useable (70 mph at 3000 rpm in 6th versus 70 mph at 3000 rpm in 5th on the 08) and REVERSE. I can't wait to get more miles on it and see if it wakes up a little after break in.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure of what kind of front-end you had on your 2008 (as in how it was raked), but the TG has a longer fork tube than stock Ultras and is slightly raked. I bet you can thank the MOCO for going to the 30-tooth pulley to make 6 usable. Many, many of the early TG owners have went this route and somebody finally got that message to the MOCO..

I realize the 30-tooth pulley also changes the final gearing in all the gears and makes it pull-out better, but all they did was remove OD with it also. 3000 at 70 in 6th. is not a bit different than 3000 at 70 in 5th. I am not beating on the thing and I am very happy that the TG owners can now comfortably use 6th. gear and the reduction in pulley size will also help it out greatly in those lower gears. Some of these guys claim to be popping wheelies now!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:27 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by dw2169
I just purchased a 2011 Tri Glide and have only rode 26 miles test riding it. I had an 2008 Ultra Classic with the Lehman Kit with a stage one map, big sucker air, and 02 screaming eagle pipes. With the 08, I could really feel the road in the turns, had good power with the 96, and heat that was manageable with HD heat shields. The 2011 steers much easier although I don't get much road feedback, 6th gear is finally useable (70 mph at 3000 rpm in 6th versus 70 mph at 3000 rpm in 5th on the 08) and REVERSE. I can't wait to get more miles on it and see if it wakes up a little after break in.
I could be wrong but I don't think it will wake up anymore.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
Spoke with a 2011 TG owner yesterday--nice light blue w/black trim. He only had 70 miles on it. Said he was a previous wing owner and the TG was a real learning experience. I mentioned the heat and he agreed. Noticed he had over a grand in added bling like 660 Garmin, lots of chrome trim, and floor boards with embedded blue LEDs (also around engine). Hated to tell him he would probably be investing more!
I, too, am a Honda Valkyrie Interstate trike owner and a 2006 Goldwing Champion Trike owner....both were hot on the legs and the seating on both were not comfortable to me. I just bought the 2011 TG Ultra Classic and love it. I find it has plenty of power, heat does not seem too bad or any worse than the wing model did(of coiurse I have not ridden it in 100 degree temps yet). However, I find the audio system is superior to the Wing. It comes with CB, which Honda did not. The rear brakes suck, but the front brakes are super great (I use both rear and front together all the time, so big deal with me). Harley installed the security option and out the door in NC for $32k, vivid black. Thought that was reasonable and when considering tags, taxes, and registration, I paid under MSRP. All in all, I like the 2011 TG better than the wing kit conversion.

Ken

Quick Reply: Feedback from Tri Glide owners