Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Feedback from Tri Glide owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iaff84
I just took delivery of a 11 TG Ultra two weeks ago. Traded in my first experience with a touring bike, an 05 Ultra. The change this time was easy, really like the trike.
After many years, 62 and 63 Pans, 60 serva-car trike (that is an experience), then on soft tails, 98 FL Springer, 01 FX Springer and an 02 FL Springer, the switch over to the touring model was tuff. Hated it for several months and regretted trading in my 02 FL Springer. (still have the 01 FX Springer)
I had always spent the money on motor mods on the soft tails. In most cases, big bore, gear driven cams, heads, pipes and all the tuning plus all the bling. When we got the Ultra, decided to leave it stock. (the wife did) Well when it sank in that we did touring two up, this Ultra did what it was built to do. Wife felt that the money saved in bling was better spent on motels and being on road. I can not argue the point.
Performance wise, the bike was a dog, ran hot. Overall, worked for how I was using it. Love the cruise and stereo.
Now the 11 Tri Glide, only have 2000 miles on it. For a 103, yes it to is a dog, but it moves us along from point A to B in comfort. Rear brakes on this 11 still leaves allot to be desired, if they have improved them, feel for the 09 and 10 owners. For some reason I thought sixth gear would be OD, need to stop thinking. At 3000 RPM still moving around 72 MPH. Yes it also runs hot. (not as hot as the 05 Ultra) Tyranny is noisy in first, a little hard to find neutral when hot, shifts better than old Ultra, seems it is closer ratio than previous bikes. Feel a little uncomfortable in heavy traffic, with width of bike, less room for avoiding things. Will get accustom to that with time. Have gotten use to push and pull steering and enjoyed some twistys in Southern Indiana last week.
My conclusions on trike: I am glad I made trade. It does what I bought it for, touring. Will leave it stock for a few years and let you know as I go along how I feel about the package. Only minor gripe with company, throw in the trunk bags with the bike. You get them with the Ultra saddle bags. Guess they need the 90 bucks.
Glad I made the trade.
Dennis Swan
Muncie, Indiana
My 2011 TG Ultra came with the trunk bag and headphone/mic set.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:42 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 458 Likes on 281 Posts

Ditto on that, my 2011 came with the headset and tour pack bag

Old 10-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Thunderond
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Tri Glide

I bought my 2011 on August 2 and have 6500 miles on it already other that the heat issue I beleive with the 103 and the 6 speed the performace is pretty good considering the extra wieght and wind drag. mine is still stock. I also ride an 06 RK with cams and pipes and even though I like the TG my RK is just fun to run.
I took the TG to Sturgis this year and had no problems running Spearfish Canyon kept up with or passed the 2 wheelers.
Recommend if you haven't rode a trike talk to those that have my first trike was a 66 HD servi car and that was a very unstable ride.
Just my 2 cents worth

Old 10-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just picked our 2011 Vivid Black Tri-Glide yesterday. Was a bit difficult at first, but soon got the hang of the diference between the Tri and a two wheeler. There was also a bit of a leaning curve in using the Pingle electric shifter that works great. It was a 40 mile run home from the dealer in both traffic and on a stretch of open road. Oil presssure stayed at 35psi the oil temp was around 260 and yes, I could feel the heat on my right leg. The Jackpot headpipe, mufflers and state 1 kit parts have all been ordered along with the heat wrap and sealer. Thanks go out to the board members for the suggestions and links.

We had an outstanding dealer realtionship. Our salesperson had my wife pick out two T-shirts at N/C. We were greeted by the parts manager who provided us with a parts catalog. We were also greeted by the service manager and the motorclothes manager who presented my wife with a nice zippered bottle coolie. We are on the way now for our first ride together. So far, I really like this bike!

Old 10-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Just picked our 2011 Vivid Black Tri-Glide yesterday. Was a bit difficult at first, but soon got the hang of the difference between the Tri and a two wheeler. There was also a bit of a learning curve in using the Pingle electric shifter that works great. It was a 40 mile run home from the dealer in both traffic and on a stretch of open road. Oil presssure stayed at 35psi the oil temp was around 260 and yes, I could feel the heat on my right leg. The Jackpot headpipe, mufflers and stage 1 kit parts have all been ordered along with the heat wrap and sealer. Thanks go out to the board members for the suggestions and links.

We had an outstanding dealer realtionship. Our salesperson had my wife pick out two T-shirts at N/C. We were greeted by the parts manager who provided us with a parts catalog. We were also greeted by the service manager and the motor clothes manager who presented my wife with a nice zippered bottle coolie and another catalog. We are on the way now for our first ride together. So far, I really like this bike!
As an addendum, we took off this morning and after three shifts the Pingel failed to operate correctly. Had a signal from the pushbuttons to the coil interuptor, but the shifter solenoid failed to work. Had to limp home in 1st gear and made a call to my sales person. As the dealer installed the electronic components, I do not know where they are located. This could be as simple as changing a fuse, but I do not know where the fused harness was located. Hopefully more info coming tomorrow, otherwise they are going to pick up the bike as I can't shift her with no left leg.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:19 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

As an addendum, we took off this morning and after three shifts the Pingel failed to operate correctly. Had a signal from the pushbuttons to the coil interuptor, but the shifter solenoid failed to work. Had to limp home in 1st gear and made a call to my sales person. As the dealer installed the electronic components, I do not know where they are located. This could be as simple as changing a fuse, but I do not know where the fused harness was located. Hopefully more info coming tomorrow, otherwise they are going to pick up the bike as I can't shift her with no left leg.
Hope they get the bugs worked out for you.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:58 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by msocko3
Hope they get the bugs worked out for you.
They are closed on Sunday and Monday. Spoke to my salesperson who is a friend yesterday. He'll get on it first thing Tuesday morning. Could be as simple as a blown fuse in the Pingel fused harness, but I can't find where the dealer installed the modules or the fused harness. Lots of components under that seat and those side covers! If we can't fix it over the phone, they are going to pick her up on Tuesday.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

They are closed on Sunday and Monday. Spoke to my salesperson who is a friend yesterday. He'll get on it first thing Tuesday morning. Could be as simple as a blown fuse in the Pingel fused harness, but I can't find where the dealer installed the modules or the fused harness. Lots of components under that seat and those side covers! If we can't fix it over the phone, they are going to pick her up on Tuesday.
You might drop FLTR2008TRIKE who is a member here a PM I'll bet he can give you some info on shifters.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

I'll do that Socko, thanks. BTW, how do you like the 255 cams? They can be part of the family and carried under the warranty. If you have specs, I'd appreciate that. I've always used Comp Cams in my EVO'S as thier ramps are much softer than the Andrews or Woods or other brand grinds. If I can get close with a CC cam it will be much quieter. What about lifters? Always used S&S in my EVO'S

Thanks,
Buddy.....

Old 10-25-2010, 05:13 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

I'll do that Socko, thanks. BTW, how do you like the 255 cams? They can be part of the family and carried under the warranty. If you have specs, I'd appreciate that. I've always used Comp Cams in my EVO'S as thier ramps are much softer than the Andrews or Woods or other brand grinds. If I can get close with a CC cam it will be much quieter. What about lifters? Always used S&S in my EVO'S

Thanks,
Buddy.....
Well I'm getting ready to switch the cams from the SE255 to Woods TW-555 in both mine and my dads TG, I'm not real concerned about the faster ramp speeds of the Wood cams. The SE255 cams worked pretty good, they did make the triglide picky about fuel quality due to the increase in CCP from the early intake close. I found they bite real hard on the bottom end, the wife found out what a wheelie on a trike feels like. I'm looking for something that carries a little farther than 4,200 RPM because I've run into the top end of the cam on several occasions while passing cars or trucks. The specs are

SE-255: lift 0.550"/0.550", I 211°/E 235°
Intake: 6° BTDC/25° ABDC, Exhaust: 48° BBDC/7° ATDC

You might read this thread about warranty when you consider modifications. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...or-though.html

My dad unfortunately learned what a stinker our dealer turned out to be since they have come under new ownership and have a new service manager. The lifters I'm going with are the Head Quarters black ops, in the past I've used stock lifters but don't trust HD quality much these days.

Last edited by msocko3; 10-25-2010 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Feedback from Tri Glide owners