Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 03:32 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

I have never been a fan of extended warranties on any product. I have always felt that they are nothing but a huge profit center for the dealership. However, considering the seemingly problem plagued Tri-Glide, I’m wondering if this isn’t the exception to my rule?

My question is two parts:
How many TG owners have purchased an extended warranty and what did it cost?

Part two:
In light of M3’s warranty experience (Warranty and Modifications, Food for Thought); does an extended warranty still make since considering that I have many of the same mods a M3?

Not knowing anything about extended warranties, I’m wondering if the “Mods” can be written into the contract.

Thanks in advance for your in-put.

Jim

Old 08-28-2010, 04:33 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought mine last Autumn, I had no idea about the heat issues and the dealer had already installed mufflers, AC, & download prior to my deciding to buy it. I wasn't considering any future engine mods. I always decline extended warranties & declined the sales managers offer of the five year package including the road hazard tire & wheel replacement addition for $1200. He immediately dropped it to $500 & I bit.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:41 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't plan on an extended warranty. I do wonder if the underwriters get even pickier when evaluating mods and their relationship to a mechanical failure?

Old 08-28-2010, 04:51 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

I can't wait for my warranty to run out. I'm already thinking of doing a 110 HP upgrade. My warranty runs out this December.
Butch

Old 08-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

One of the reasons I went with the TG was the warranty, but in light of the modifications I'm going to HAVE to make to get a cooler and more efficient motorcycle I'll pass on any extended warranty. Unless the put it in writing that the mods most of us are doing will not void my warranty ( yeah right!)

Old 08-28-2010, 10:59 PM
harley9809
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i do have a 7 year warranty on mine and thats why i went with harley parts to open it up, even though its not the best product out there, i know im covered atleast at my dealer and hopefully others if any problems arrive. I figure ill ride the crap out of it for those years and maybe melt the 6 speed down from driving "heat" and not have to worry. Thats my plan, Get my moneys worth and maybe by then there'll be a trike ready to ride off the showroom floor.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:19 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I didn't get the extended warranty, I just decided to roll the dice and hope for no problems. The warranty covers more than the engine and the extended does follow the same rules as the HD warranty.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:37 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan
I can't wait for my warranty to run out. I'm already thinking of doing a 110 HP upgrade. My warranty runs out this December.
Butch
This is just my opinion, if your going to do a major engine upgrade to a 110 you would get a little more lower rpm torque with a larger piston then just using a 110 piston. SE 110" engine where having a problem with the rear heads leaking early in the first few years of production

I went to a 4.125 axtell cylinder and pistons set while retaining the 4 3/8 stock 96" stroke.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:05 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJimer
I have never been a fan of extended warranties on any product. I have always felt that they are nothing but a huge profit center for the dealership. However, considering the seemingly problem plagued Tri-Glide, I’m wondering if this isn’t the exception to my rule?

My question is two parts:
How many TG owners have purchased an extended warranty and what did it cost?

Part two:
In light of M3’s warranty experience (Warranty and Modifications, Food for Thought); does an extended warranty still make since considering that I have many of the same mods a M3?

Not knowing anything about extended warranties, I’m wondering if the “Mods” can be written into the contract.

Thanks in advance for your in-put.

Jim
Jim:
I did buy an additional 2 year extended warranty. I was considering canceling it but as M3 stated it covers more than the engine. I'm basically not concerned with engine problems as we certainly can handle them.The sad part of my problem is the cams that were installed and workmanship were not the problem but an electrical issue.
Mike

Old 08-29-2010, 10:40 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
This is just my opinion, if your going to do a major engine upgrade to a 110 you would get a little more lower rpm torque with a larger piston then just using a 110 piston. SE 110" engine where having a problem with the rear heads leaking early in the first few years of production

I went to a 4.125 axtell cylinder and pistons set while retaining the 4 3/8 stock 96" stroke.
This is what I needed to hear. The 2011 Screaming Eagle Catalog has a 110" & 113" upgrade. I'm now thinking maybe I should go with the 113" upgrade.
I knew the 110" were having gasket problems at one time but didn't know if the problems where solved.
What ya think of the 113" upgrade?
Butch

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty