Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Gas tank rubbing by jeans

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harleygoodies.com spacers are superb, after install

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dawg
I had Tom send me 2 sets of the 1" spacers with longer hardened bolts. If I find I only need 1", then I can sell the second set, but I am thinking I will use both sets of spacers.
Tom, at Harleygoodies.com, did a great job on the 2" spacers and longer bolts. I installed them today...a tremendous difference it makes in leg positioning and comfort. I don't think the 1" would have been enough. I highly recommend them for Harley trikes and Tom has a superb product and great customer service. This is one product and company that I gladly support.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Bluetoys
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dawg
I only have 600 miles on my 2011 TG. Am seeing my vivid black tank being rubbed by my pants legs jeans. What do I do to get the wear buffed out and how do I protect it from doing that in the future? Do any of you use the Touring gas tank bra by HD? Any other recommendations?

Thanks...
just give yourself a tuckie before you ride. Since you would probably be reluctant to crush your junk, you'll ride legs wide and won't rub your tank.

Or, you could just go with the floorboard spacers, it's your call...

Old 03-04-2011, 02:55 PM
SandyH.
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a lady Tri-Glide rider my legs are quite short and they are also rubbing the bottom edge of the gas tank, already seeing little dull spots on both sides. My husband is a Chevy Dealer, when I first got the trike we had a guy come and put the 3 M product on the front half of the rear fenders to keep from getting rock chips, also put it on the panels between the fender and main bike body and the side covers to prevent rock chips there and any passengers from rubbing things up with their shoes/boots. So I think that's what we're going to do on the bottom portion of the gas tank also after we get it rubbed out and shinning again. The guys that installed my 3-M product is the same guy we use to put Clear Bras on the front end of Corvettes that we sell. So if any of you out there are looking to get something like this done call your Chevy dealer and ask if they can recommend someone. Our H.D. Dealer advised against the tank bra, said he had seen way too many of them mess tanks up by getting grit underneath them. Told us it we went that route we would more than likely always have one on the bike to hide the mess that they caused. I like my 3 M stuff better anyway, it still lets the color of the paint show through.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:40 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SandyH.
As a lady Tri-Glide rider my legs are quite short and they are also rubbing the bottom edge of the gas tank, already seeing little dull spots on both sides. My husband is a Chevy Dealer, when I first got the trike we had a guy come and put the 3 M product on the front half of the rear fenders to keep from getting rock chips, also put it on the panels between the fender and main bike body and the side covers to prevent rock chips there and any passengers from rubbing things up with their shoes/boots. So I think that's what we're going to do on the bottom portion of the gas tank also after we get it rubbed out and shinning again. The guys that installed my 3-M product is the same guy we use to put Clear Bras on the front end of Corvettes that we sell. So if any of you out there are looking to get something like this done call your Chevy dealer and ask if they can recommend someone. Our H.D. Dealer advised against the tank bra, said he had seen way too many of them mess tanks up by getting grit underneath them. Told us it we went that route we would more than likely always have one on the bike to hide the mess that they caused. I like my 3 M stuff better anyway, it still lets the color of the paint show through.
+1 on the 3M film. I had a small section of the gas tank covered in it. I did not have the same problem on my 06 Ultra as it had a 5 gal gas tank on it instead of the 6 gal.