Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Dead Tri Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:25 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery Good

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
Be sure that you post how much the new battery cost you.
Interesting, put the booster on it and still no crank and it did not light up the dash! Load tester shows battery good!

Look's like it is trailer time! We will see what HD's finest say the problem is. Has to be a fluke, don't see anybody else having this problem with Trikes/bikes this model.

We will see, may be something we have to watch but I'm betting it is just a one of problem.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,036 Likes on 1,104 Posts

I've got a nickle on a dead cell or two in the battery. That's why it will show voltage but no amps.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Root Beer Bet

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I've got a nickle on a dead cell or two in the battery. That's why it will show voltage but no amps.
Since I owe about everybody on here a root beer I may as well cover that nickel. I hope I lose this one, I have had a dead battery on a bike before but not one that would not move the gauge hands or try to power up the low light stuff. New float charger, bought last fall! I guess it could show a full charge if it is just monitoring Volts also. With the headlights and all coming on a bike when you key it up, that is a lot of draw and could make a dead cell show up that way. I set the charger/booster on the 200 amp boost and hooked it stright to the battery terminals, nothing!

The only other one I had go before was like an auto battery, solenoid chatter or clicking and the gauges hands all moved with the gauge lights coming on.

Dropped it off at the dealer, will know in a few what the deal is! Warranty is good until Aug. 6 so we will see how much post warranty I get bit for. If it is a battery there may be a prorated charge for the months on the battery before it failed.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:23 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
You may be right but I did manage to jump a bike with a battery that had a dead cell. I'm wondering if it has a blow maxi fuse? There is a 40 amp main fuse that if it blows nothing works, its a big bugger which can't be missed.

Last edited by msocko3; 03-09-2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:36 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
You may be right but I did manage to jump a bike with a battery that had a dead cell. I'm wondering if it has a blow maxi fuse? There is a 40 amp main fuse that if it blows nothing works, its a big bugger which can't be missed.
Can't wait to find out. The SUSPENSE is killing me.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Default I'm Thinking

Originally Posted by msocko3
along this line myself! I felt that when the float charger showed a full charged battery the dead cell may not be the problem. When I hooked the booster cables to the battery terminals on top of the battery and it still did not even light up the dash or move the gauge hands I figure it is more than a battery problem.

I started to check a few of the inline fuses but didn't want to get to far into it and give HD an excuse to void a warranty. I think you need to unhook at least one end of a resister or fuse in some circuits to get a good reading.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:23 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coupe55, Did you check the 40A max fuse (main fuse)?? I thought by your earlier posts that you had . As dead as your TG is that would have been one of the first to look at. If you didnt my bet would be on that and if it did blow what caused it, thats a lot of amps.

Last edited by icebite1; 03-09-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:42 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by icebite1
Coupe55, Did you check the 40A max fuse (main fuse)?? I thought by your earlier posts that you had . As dead as your TG is that would have been one of the first to look at. If you didnt my bet would be on that and if it did blow what caused it, thats a lot of amps.
Perhaps when he tripped over his battery tender cables.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:07 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Senior Moment

Originally Posted by icebite1
Yes I thought I had checked that 40 amp but probably didn't. I checked all the small fuses "visual check" and pulled that one, I got a phone call, lenghty one and never got back to it. I went in the next day and put the cover on the fuse box and noticed I had left the 40 out! I just stuck it back I assume, the meter was laying there as I was checking some other stuff.

The dealer called and it was the 40 Amp main. The only interviening event was when I tripped over the charger cord, bounced it around pretty good and it jerked the connecters loose.

Oh well, they said they did a continuity check and all the other circuits looked ok and everything is working. With all the small amperage circuits with no blown fuses one would assume the big one would have been ok but you know what they say when you assume!

I guess we have learned the ol Harley circuit protection is a pretty good one. It acted as designed and the main blew very fast as the small amperage circuits did not blow. I will buy an extra main and see if another cause shows up later on but as it stands it looks like the spike may have come form when I tripped over the float charger?

Looks like you won the Root Beer Ice, don't tell anyone about my senior moment and I'll make it two..

Old 03-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain

I'm just glad you found the problem and it was a relatively easy fix.

Quick Reply: Dead Tri Glide