Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

tri glide and the wind

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:33 PM
kbktulsa
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default tri glide and the wind

I have been thinking about getting a tri glide, It seems like it is windy as hell here all the time now, was courious as to how the wind affects the trike compared to a dresser. I enjoy the heck out of my Ultra, but the wind can sure put the scare into you with the 30-40 miles an hour gusts. We seem to have that alot anymore.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:37 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Last July when my dad and I along with a friend went to SD we hit some pretty good wind. The Triglide handled it real well, a few times I looked back at my buddy and could see him riding leaned over to counter the wind and he was riding an Electraglide. The difference is night and day, we made the same trip in 2008 on 2 wheels and got pounded by the wind.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:43 AM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode Texas and Oklahoma and Arkansas 2 years ago and got pounded by the wind. Comparing the HD TriGlide to my Goldwing trike, the HD does much better and seems more stable. The Goldwing has no paths for the winds to go thru the engine areas...it is solid plastic. However, the HD TG is somewhat more narrow than most other trike kits, except Lehman and it would do better if the rear end was approx 61 inches or more as with most other trike kits, in my humble opinion.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:04 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TG has a LOT more stability in the wind. But you certainly can feel the resistance. But I do miss the stability of my '05 Road Glide with its ability to slice through any headwind and with very little buffeting.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:52 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Against the Wind

The Tri Glide is a very stable platform, especially in side winds! The new gearing on the 11, the 32T Primary Pulley makes 6th gear more usable in head winds. The 10 on slight inclines and in headwinds struggled, especially in stock form. I am of the opinion the full windshields cut the wind better as you seem to catch a lot of air with your body and the curved windshield cuts down on the aerodynamic drag.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:29 PM
kbktulsa
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the response. Was wondering about the side winds. getting older and have had 2 back surgeys, and getting ready for a third one. So may be having to buy a new tri glide in the near furture. thanks

Old 03-21-2011, 06:18 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kbktulsa
thanks for the response. Was wondering about the side winds. getting older and have had 2 back surgeys, and getting ready for a third one. So may be having to buy a new tri glide in the near furture. thanks
If you buy a TG you will love it. I know I do mine.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:07 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm a big fella, & I would rather take on cross winds with my Tri Glide, than with my FLH. The trike is way more stable in cross winds IMHO.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:35 PM
halfbreed
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the above posts, especially the one about the Goldwing. I rode my new TG today for the first time and it was very windy. No problem at all and much better than the Goldwing. Do you live in Tulsa? If you do, perhaps we can visit at Myers-Duren or Route 66 and talk about it. I am very happy with my TG. It is well worth the money!

Old 08-07-2011, 08:15 AM
meredog
6th Gear
Default heat

have heard there is a serious issue with heat on the tri glides ?

Quick Reply: tri glide and the wind