Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Wood TW-555 Triglide Dynos

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 05:16 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Wood TW-555 Triglide Dynos

Well one down and one to go. This past Saturday my dads 09 Triglide was put on the Dyno and the results are as I had expected. I was fortunate that I was able to participate in the tuning process, most shops run you off to a lounge. Only thing I dropped the ball on was I didn't mention I wanted the chart in SAE, its in STD. For those wondering the difference between the two here is a quick explanation.

SAE:
"SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), USA. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.23 InHg (99 kPa) of dry air and 77 F (25°C). This SAE standard requires a correction for friction torque.

STD:
STD is Another power correction standard determined by the SAE. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.92 InHg (103.3 kPa) of dry air and 60 F (15.5°C). Because the reference conditions include higher pressure and cooler air than the SAE standard, these corrected power numbers will always be about 4 % higher than the SAE power numbers. Friction torque is handled in the same way as in the SAE standard."

Even though the chart is in STD it still is a good apples to apples comparison between last year with the SE255 vs the Woods TW-555, these runs are 5th gear runs. On the chart the green line is a final run from last August when the SE255 cams were installed. The red is the very first pull before any tuning with the TW-555 cams. The blue is the final run. I know some power and torque was left on the table, but it was a mutual decision between me and the tuner not to go after the timing tables and try messing with other AFR's. The goal was a straight forward tune to calibrate the VE tables and touch upon anything else which looked like it needed massaging along with getting the AFR set at a reasonable value to promote cool running, decent fuel mileage, smooth running and most of all no pinging even with a tank of marginal fuel.

When my dad and I went into this latest cam change the goal was to choose a cam with a later intake close to lower the CCP so it is not as particular on fuel quality and still maintain decent low end torque.

One item which shocked the tuner was how much faster the engine would spool up and reach the rev limiter which was set at 6200 rpm. This was a combination of the gearing change from 32 tooth transmission sprocket to a 30 tooth and the cams. If we remember it my dad is going to ask the tuner to print out the time sheet which shows how quick the run takes, the difference us almost 3 seconds. Note the HP was still going at the end of the run. We could have bumped the rev limiter to see where this cam would start dropping off on HP but seeing there was no reason to beat on it we choose to leave it at 6200.

Once the tune was completed I took the trike for a ride. It rides nice all around from just stooging along at 30 mph to moving along at 80 mph, up hills is a non issue. I did twist the wick a touch and found it would jump to 5,000 rpm quick after each gear change and up to 5th gear 90 mph came quick. Now all my dad needs to do is get some miles on.

Next Saturday we're taking mine to be tuned. It will be interesting to see what if any difference we will see since mine has the Jackpot head pipe and different air cleaner and mufflers.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

Keep us posted

Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bravo! Anxious to see your results, Mike.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:23 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
Bravo! Anxious to see your results, Mike.
If everything goes as it is supposed to I would expect to see some better numbers from M3's TG. I am happy with mine. Can't wait to put some miles on it and put it through its paces..

Old 05-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
If everything goes as it is supposed to I would expect to see some better numbers from M3's TG. I am happy with mine. Can't wait to put some miles on it and put it through its paces..
I'd like to see some pictures of you standing it on its rear wheels and smokin' tires!

Old 05-03-2011, 03:13 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Boom
I'd like to see some pictures of you standing it on its rear wheels and smokin' tires!
Got a picture of it on the Dyno.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Mike,
How much torque did you lose under 4K over the 255's? I wanted to PM you with this, but after speaking with my source in the know yesterday I has second thoughts about the 555's. My source says he's seen a 15Ft#-17Ft# loss in torque under 4K on the dyno and is sorry he jumped on the 555 bandwagon so soon.

I'd like to hear more from you and M1 far as seat of the pants feel. I do not think I've gone over 4K on my engine yet and probably never will in the real world unless I have to, so that is not an issue. Just looking for some genuine feedback and looking to spend no more money that needed if you understand where I'm coming from.

Thanks,
Buddy.....

Old 05-07-2011, 02:27 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Mike,
How much torque did you lose under 4K over the 255's? I wanted to PM you with this, but after speaking with my source in the know yesterday I has second thoughts about the 555's. My source says he's seen a 15Ft#-17Ft# loss in torque under 4K on the dyno and is sorry he jumped on the 555 bandwagon so soon.

I'd like to hear more from you and M1 far as seat of the pants feel. I do not think I've gone over 4K on my engine yet and probably never will in the real world unless I have to, so that is not an issue. Just looking for some genuine feedback and looking to spend no more money that needed if you understand where I'm coming from.

Thanks,
Buddy.....
Just got done from having mine tuned and sitting in the hotel room right now, I don't have the sheet with me its in the truck but I ended up around 86hp and close to 96 ft/lb torque. Looking at the sheet in my 1st post which is the only sheet we have with one of our trikes on a Dyno with the SE255 cam. The green line is the the SE255 and the blue is the completed TW555 tune it doesn't look like much, maybe 2 - 3 ft/lbs between 2300 - 2700 rpm then the TW-555 makes more than the SE255's.

I've ridden both trikes and have to say they are night and day different than last year, very much improved. But then we also changed the transmission sprocket from the 32 tooth to the 30 tooth they started using with the 2011 MY. When we get back home my dad will scan my sheet along with a sheet that shows time to spool up his vs mine and his with SE255 vs TW-555. I can say a stock 2010 Triglide made 65 hp and 72 ft/lb torque, the guy who tuned ours tuned a stock one last year and showed my dad the sheet.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Mike,
I'd be interested to see that comparison. I'm happy with the 255's so far. Having good fuel helps and I've seen no detonation at all. The EITMS has not even kicked in in city traffic with no fan on the oil cooler. I'm attributing most of this due to the TTS tune.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Cheezyrider
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the dyno at and what is the cost. I see you are in NE Ohio and I am in S Michigan. My setup is slightly different with the tuner and I hope to get the gear change in a couple of weeks if my dealer can locate the 30t sproket. Thanks for all the info here.

Quick Reply: Wood TW-555 Triglide Dynos