Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Wiring Trailer Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Wiring Trailer Question

I know that this probably seems simple to some of you, but wiring is definitely not my strong point. My question involves 4 and 5 wire connections. I know that non Trike Harleys have a 5 wire and my new trailer has 4 wire and I bought the adapter. But I got to thinking (always dangerous), since the trike uses the same light for both brake and turn, do I really need to use the 4 wire adapter? Or does the rear of the trike use a 4 wire system like a car? Any help will be appreciated.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:58 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bronxbill
I know that this probably seems simple to some of you, but wiring is definitely not my strong point. My question involves 4 and 5 wire connections. I know that non Trike Harleys have a 5 wire and my new trailer has 4 wire and I bought the adapter. But I got to thinking (always dangerous), since the trike uses the same light for both brake and turn, do I really need to use the 4 wire adapter? Or does the rear of the trike use a 4 wire system like a car? Any help will be appreciated.
The harness I received from Rivco for my Triglide is a 5 wire harness which plugs right in, my Aluma MCT is also 5 wire, I'd use the adapter if you already have it.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

What Mike said.....

Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used what is called a Hoppe for 5 > 4 wirng was easy.Hopkins said it makes a safety in case of backfeeding and will protect TG's wiring.Just remember the plug is hard to find and the one I thought was correct on my Tg caused me hours od no turns or no brakes.The TG plug is tucked below the one I thought it was to go in.Be sure.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:04 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper
What Mike said.....
What Casper said Mike said.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:18 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBobs
What Casper said Mike said.
I agree with both of them.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:09 AM
trike1
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok, tucked behind what and where? I can not find it anywhere on my 2011.

thanks

Old 09-29-2011, 11:56 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if I recall the plugs are located below the passenger seat.You will uncover one quickly but for me when I plugged into it as I did on my 2wheel Ultra I had issues.Getting frustrated I did this and that and got into more trouble. When I pulled the plug here comes another plug that was deep in the nest.I plugged hitch wiring into that plug and no more trouble.

You will find it and it is a common error,hope this saves time and trouble because of the turn lights on the fenders it is wired diff. than 2 wheelers.

T K

Old 09-29-2011, 07:56 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by trike1
ok, tucked behind what and where? I can not find it anywhere on my 2011.

thanks
The Rivco hitch installation instructions have a very good picture on page one.

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/instruc...%20Booklet.pdf

Old 09-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T K Glider
if I recall the plugs are located below the passenger seat.You will uncover one quickly but for me when I plugged into it as I did on my 2wheel Ultra I had issues.Getting frustrated I did this and that and got into more trouble. When I pulled the plug here comes another plug that was deep in the nest.I plugged hitch wiring into that plug and no more trouble.

You will find it and it is a common error,hope this saves time and trouble because of the turn lights on the fenders it is wired diff. than 2 wheelers.

T K
I had the same problem when I installed that wiring adapter used to change tourpak lights to brake and turn signal. The diagram shows the connector for two-wheeled Ultra but the correct/identical connector for the TG is under the cross-over plate directly under seat.

Quick Reply: Wiring Trailer Question