Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri Glide Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 05:18 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Tjackson
I wounder if you could unload it by rocking the trike and applying the brake?
I would think that should do it.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:32 PM
dcwheels83
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post as I back my in the garage up a slight incline.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 PM
mgb1
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just picked up my '13 Tri-glide today and it seems to be doing the same thing, but only at times even on flat ground. So is the general fix is to make sure the bendix on the reverse motor just needs some grease on it so it retracts when you put the motorcycle in first gear?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by Flintshooter54
Yea I am sure what is happening is the "starter" gear on the reverse motor did not retract and was still enguaged in the teeth of the drive pully. Maybe the gear shaft needs a little lube. Let it slide back out of the way. Got about two weeks left on the warranty so might have them take a look at it before that runs out.
If you only have a short time for warranty, for sure have them look into it ! While they are looking, have them lube things up.
I have only had mine stick when I stopped with a pull against the motor. Like putting the brakes on while pulling with the reverse. Happened twice.
If you roll free it seems to be able to pull back out of the gear. It is in open air, & close to the road so you don't want much of any lube on the ring gear.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:49 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

BTW, I have started spraying mine with a dry graphite spray. It is clear, dry, & not messy.
Just don't get it on the belt!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:38 AM
sidecar
Road Warrior

Have you looked in the Owner,s mannual? look under REVERSE OPERATION,

Old 03-08-2013, 01:34 PM
lboos
Advanced

The same thing happened to me about 30 min. ago, I have 375 miles on it, I have to back up for about 3-4 sec's up a slight incline [I only wt. 160 lbs,] when I put it in 1st. gear and started to go forward I could tell it was still in reverse, but then it came out by itself, 1st time this has happened.
I will try not to use it agin, unless it's an emer.
In my opinion the reverse sys. on the T/G is about as Mickey Mouse add on as it gets, I just wish Harley would have saved the money they spent on all the radio equip, and other bells and whistles and put it into a real reverse in the trans. not a starter motor bolted on . JMO

Old 03-08-2013, 01:53 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I totally agree with you. But I can tell you the motor they put in the TG is not a cheap motor.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:13 PM
lboos
Advanced

It may be an expensive starter motor, but the reverse sys. looks like it might have been designed by unemployed YUGO auto. engineers, not the ones that work for Harley.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:19 PM
bikerbum
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a little lost. I would park the trike nose high and let gravity roll me backwards. If the parking space sloped down, again let gravity roll me into the parking space, and power out. I guess after 40 years on 2 wheels without a reverse I became very conscious about parking on a slope so I could get out. Have rarely used the reverse on the trike so I've never had any problems.

Quick Reply: Tri Glide Reverse