Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

too much heat info

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:13 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by screwball
Cost me about $300. Put floor board extenders on, and extended break and shift levers. Moved my feet and legs a couple inches forward and 2 inches out. The heat you feel is radiated from the motor, and exhaust gasses. Move your legs farther from the heat source, it is cooler. Exhaust gas in the rear header is about 1400* Head temps run 180* to 230* Air cooled bikes are hot.

Avoid stop and go traffic, all air cooled vehicles get hot.

Good Luck
SB, where did you get the shift levers? Did you fab your own or aftermarket? Thanks.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:41 AM
dondee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by prider
As stated I do not have a good mechanical back ground. I had a 2011 road king, totally stock and I rode primarly in fl. (Tampa, Ocala) and it gets hot. I never had an unexpected heat problem. The heat fins placed just below the seat seemed to solve the problem.

So that leave the question generaly can one excpect the heat to be worst on HD trikes?

Thanks for the help.
Yes, the heat is absolutely worse on a trike. Lots of plastic/bodywork to curtail air flow insures that the heat doesn't dissipate like a two wheeler. Having said that, current two wheel Harleys are hot too, given EPA regs and the cat.

It's air cooled, it's gonna be hot. The mods can mitigate the heat somewhat and simultaneously increase power, but expect to spend $2500 to $3000 if you're like me and can't do the work yourself. Is it worth it? Only you can say, but to me it absolutely was. You can see what I did below.

By the way, what are "heat fins"?

Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 AM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 09-04-2012, 02:51 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
SB, where did you get the shift levers? Did you fab your own or aftermarket? Thanks.
Bought both at the Harley Store. Kuryatkyn (or however you spell it) make both. Harley makes an extended break pedal, but I went with Kury so they would match. I also should have mentioned that during the summer I take off the lowers and replace the crash bar with a Linby crash bar. Shaped so it can be used as highway pegs. That REALLY helps if you get stuck in traffic. I'm not tall (5' 9") and this bar is very comfortable. Takes about 15 minutes to change, and I'm old and slow.

Good Luck

Old 10-07-2012, 01:11 PM
syswayne
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prider
Time of life have to move to 3 wheels. Read all of the threads I could find about the heat problem. I have no idea what in the heck they are talking about.
Maybe 3 questions will help those like myself who's mechanical skill are strained beyond checking the air pressure in the tires.

1. Ball park how much will it cost to decrease the heat problem?
2. Will the modifications for heat also solve the power issues?
3. Can or will dealers make these changes? And if not can people less
skilled make these changes?

Ride Smart......ride safe
Tom
I have a HD 2010 trike and this is what I have done and it runs the best ever and a lot cooler.
1. I removed the catilatic converted and cut it in half. Revoved all the guts in it. Took about 1 hour. Took it to one of the best welders and he welded it back where you can not tell it and it cost me $50.00. Put it all back on the bike. Really cut the heat down
2. Purchase a plug in from Nightrider.com for my fuel and it went from 14.64 to 14.1 and that cooled it down more and ran so much better. Cost $119.00
3. I am 73 years old and if I can do this anyone can and it was not hard to do. This trike is like a different one and I love it now, but ready to sell it before I did all of this. Good luck

Old 10-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

2 pr 3 wheels, about the same...
On my 2012 SG I cut the cat out and wrapped the pipes with header wrap, made a huge difference in felt heat, also run SE mufflers, but I think gutting the cat and the header wrap was best.
Adding a free flowing air cleaner and fuel mgt system would be ever better...

FullSac header= 500.00
TTS tuner = 500.00
Arlan Ness Big Sucker = 125.00
Mufflers =400.00

I'm looking at 1500.00 give or take...

Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Ball park price:

Slipon mufflers: 350 to 600
SE Air Cleaner: 150-160
Gut the cat: Free if you know a welder that can TIG. Welding shop probably 30
Power Commander V: 300 from Fuel Moto already tuned from the info you give them.

Total: 1,100 or so.

Time 4 hours of so with common mechanic tools.

Just finished the project on a trike and a Limited and this seems to be a good solution. Also adds some power which doesn't hurt, especially with the Trike.

Bill

Last edited by billnourse; 10-08-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I suggest not doing anything to the bike itself and just buy one of captain itch's crotch coolers.
I would hope the lean running issue would be put to rest by now since there are many,many members still running the stock tune,with pipes and breathers,with 100000 miles on their engines and those bikes havent melted down.
My bike for example was running so rich with a fuel pak that the carbon build up inside the combustion chamber was beyond acceptable. A hotter burn also leaves less deposits behind. Guys think adding fuel to cool combustion temps is a great idea until they see inside the cylinder,and wonder why is pings under load now when it didn't before.
The combustion chamber gets so much build up that it raises the compression ratio.
So do whatever you like,it's your bike but for every action there is a consequence.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:42 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,084 Likes on 3,486 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
I suggest not doing anything to the bike itself and just buy one of captain itch's crotch coolers.
I would hope the lean running issue would be put to rest by now since there are many,many members still running the stock tune,with pipes and breathers,with 100000 miles on their engines and those bikes havent melted down.
My bike for example was running so rich with a fuel pak that the carbon build up inside the combustion chamber was beyond acceptable. A hotter burn also leaves less deposits behind. Guys think adding fuel to cool combustion temps is a great idea until they see inside the cylinder,and wonder why is pings under load now when it didn't before.
The combustion chamber gets so much build up that it raises the compression ratio.
So do whatever you like,it's your bike but for every action there is a consequence.

Yeah if you don't ever check that the fuel mixture is correct to burn clean. The reason for the lean burn in today's HD is because of the EPA mandates. Harley didn't do it because it makes things run better. They just stopped making a model for Calif.,and another for the rest of the world. Now everything is one type.
Along with the lean burn comes new problems that HD probably hopes they should have worked out by the time the EPA mandates it for all 50 states.
If things are done correctly when you up the fuel the engine runs more efficiently. But with the fuel injection instead of a carb the fuel can be tuned differently at any given RPM & throttle position. Thus more efficiency. But you can't just throw crap together and expect it to work right !!
If you don't know what you are doing, have someone do the mods for you. That being said, with programming from those people and you installing the mods also can result in a correct job.
Either way you still have to know what to watch for before trouble hits ya in the a$$ !
Seems odd that Harley can make the mods and still be under warranty if it would be detrimental to the engine doesn't it. Even let you do them yourself and stay under warranty !!
So what's wrong with your picture ????
EXCUSE THE RANT !!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:36 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Who has a Triglide or a trike with a 07 or later Twin cam with 100,000 miles on it, I know I haven't heard of a Triglide with 6 figure mileage.

Your bike running rich was the fault of A. a substandard tuner and B. not being placed on a dyno with an analyzer that could check for proper AFR. Just because someone failes to get it right doesn't mean everyone will.

Here is the piston of the 95" engine I pulled from my 06 Ultra when I installed the 120. This engine sure didn't run a 14.6 or leaner AFR like the new bikes from Harley do. It was tuned properly with a TTS on the dyno using a 4 gas analyzer. This piston has 25,000 miles on it, not much carbon there and the combustion chamber of the head was just as clean, its on my 120 now.

Quick Reply: too much heat info