Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

too much heat info

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:07 PM
prider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too much heat info

Time of life have to move to 3 wheels. Read all of the threads I could find about the heat problem. I have no idea what in the heck they are talking about.
Maybe 3 questions will help those like myself who's mechanical skill are strained beyond checking the air pressure in the tires.

1. Ball park how much will it cost to decrease the heat problem?
2. Will the modifications for heat also solve the power issues?
3. Can or will dealers make these changes? And if not can people less
skilled make these changes?

Ride Smart......ride safe
Tom

Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 PM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by prider
Time of life have to move to 3 wheels. Read all of the threads I could find about the heat problem. I have no idea what in the heck they are talking about.
Maybe 3 questions will help those like myself who's mechanical skill are strained beyond checking the air pressure in the tires.

~$2800.00 or maybe a bit less. If you want to do it on the cheap, then you can do it on the cheap. I purchased the Kuryakyn Perfect Storm Kit. Don't regret it. Kit was around $1700.00. Also had to pay for install. FuelMoto also has a good kit.

Yes. Stock is OK - mine runs stronger and cooler than stock.

My dealer made changes before I took delivery. I don't trust "less skilled" people. Just me. I can hold a dealer responsible. I'm not qualified to do the work, and the guys who work out of their garage may or may not be qualified. They may also be gone next week.

Tom

As always, YMMV.

Last edited by TaylorMcStrat; 09-03-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Cost me about $300. Put floor board extenders on, and extended break and shift levers. Moved my feet and legs a couple inches forward and 2 inches out. The heat you feel is radiated from the motor, and exhaust gasses. Move your legs farther from the heat source, it is cooler. Exhaust gas in the rear header is about 1400* Head temps run 180* to 230* Air cooled bikes are hot.

Avoid stop and go traffic, all air cooled vehicles get hot.

Good Luck

Old 09-03-2012, 10:49 PM
BigBill1
Cruiser

For what its worth. Mine was never so hot it kept me from riding. This summer has been been freakin hot. Alot of 100+ degree days, I still rode most every day. The mods I have made were for power and sound not so much cooler except for crotch cooler and removing lowers. (Although the Power Vision did make it cooler). Youll have to judge for yourself whats to hot. +1 on what Screwball said. A couple inches will make a world of difference. Ride Safe.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:58 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was $2500.Some owners swear they have monimal heat issues.You will like your trike

Old 09-03-2012, 11:12 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
Cost me about $300. Put floor board extenders on, and extended break and shift levers. Moved my feet and legs a couple inches forward and 2 inches out. The heat you feel is radiated from the motor, and exhaust gasses. Move your legs farther from the heat source, it is cooler. Exhaust gas in the rear header is about 1400* Head temps run 180* to 230* Air cooled bikes are hot.

Avoid stop and go traffic, all air cooled vehicles get hot.

Good Luck
Air Cleaner, Rinharts and ECU remap cost money too. And they go a long way to helping the TG run good hot.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on what Screwball said! Did a southwest Nevda, Arizona and Southern CA trip this summer (JULY, 5400 miles)..2 up...no problems....100+ desert temps. If you sit at a traffic light after light in a city, it would be unbearable with or without $3000 in mods (IMO)...it's a tour bike...tour with it. You'll love it. My wife and I love the heck out of it....we both work full time and still find time to ride that baby!...15,000 miles in 6 months.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:53 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

You know, the "heat issue" is a screwey thing. I haven't noticed any heat issue whatsoever. My wife, however, tells me when she drives that the heat is unbearable. I wonder if the position of a person's legs makes any difference at all?

Old 09-04-2012, 06:07 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 424 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by cochon
You know, the "heat issue" is a screwey thing. I haven't noticed any heat issue whatsoever. My wife, however, tells me when she drives that the heat is unbearable. I wonder if the position of a person's legs makes any difference at all?
Yes it does. I'm vertically challenged (short) too and I installed the floorboard extenders from Harley Goodies on my 09 TG and now on my 11 XXX. Since the install I don't notice the heat as bad. I also installed a crash bar and highway pegs to give me an option to move my legs and feet even further away from the heat.

Bubba

Old 09-04-2012, 07:00 AM
prider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by prider

Tom

As stated I do not have a good mechanical back ground. I had a 2011 road king, totally stock and I rode primarly in fl. (Tampa, Ocala) and it gets hot. I never had an unexpected heat problem. The heat fins placed just below the seat seemed to solve the problem.

So that leave the question generaly can one excpect the heat to be worst on HD trikes?

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: too much heat info