Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trike & Touring download, same?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 04:22 PM
j79phan
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trike & Touring download, same?

While shopping around for a new trike my local dealer said no downloads are available for performances upgrades on a trike.
Talked to 2 other dealers today. Both of them said trikes use the same download as the touring bikes with the exception of bank sensor.
Was told if the upgrade says ok for touring models, and doesn't specify except trikes, good to go.
In my case it would be 255 cams, air cleaner, possibly mufflers, and a Stage 2 touring download.
Thoughts?

Thinking this route I could add a piggy back tuner if needed, and remove it if necessary for a breakdown on the road. Bypassing any warranty issues.

Thanks

Old 11-09-2012, 06:42 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,036 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by j79phan
While shopping around for a new trike my local dealer said no downloads are available for performances upgrades on a trike.
Talked to 2 other dealers today. Both of them said trikes use the same download as the touring bikes with the exception of bank sensor.
Was told if the upgrade says ok for touring models, and doesn't specify except trikes, good to go.
In my case it would be 255 cams, air cleaner, possibly mufflers, and a Stage 2 touring download.
Thoughts?

Thinking this route I could add a piggy back tuner if needed, and remove it if necessary for a breakdown on the road. Bypassing any warranty issues.

Thanks
There is no difference in the Tri Glide and Touring "flash".

The following is just my opinion, there will be others.

Any "flash" you get from HD will be inadequate at best. Purchasing a "flash" tuner that has the ability to tune your VE tables is the way to go. There are many brands that do a good job and others that do a great job... they all cost about the same. These flash tuners have the ability to reload your stock calibration "if" there is a warranty issue. I've taken in several bikes for warranty issues without removing my tune and had no issues. Depends on if you have a Customer Friendly dealer.

A piggy back tuner is another way to tune, yes... but their performance compared to a flash tuner doesn't' make the grade and is a waste of time, money and fuel mileage. If you have to remove a piggy back tuner and take it to a dealer there will be a historic code for your 02 sensors shutting down. The dealer will know this. Piggyback tuners don't use your 02 sensors therefor deny the ECM the ability to "learn" and adjust as you ride.

Again, just my educated opinion. There will be others...

Before drinking the Kool-aid do a lot of research and make a good decision. Don't let $$ drive your motivation.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 PM
j79phan
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the very good info Mr Wizard.

My dealer pushes the PC piggy back tuner.
Doesn't sound like something I want.

Thanks again.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:44 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by j79phan
Thanks for the very good info Mr Wizard.

My dealer pushes the PC piggy back tuner.
Doesn't sound like something I want.

Thanks again.
Ask them about the Dynojet Power Vision. It is one that flashes the ECM. I run the PCV,with autotune. I am happy with that combo, but when I need another It will be the Power Vision, or maybe the name should be Dynojet Power Vision.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
There is no difference in the Tri Glide and Touring "flash".

The following is just my opinion, there will be others.

Any "flash" you get from HD will be inadequate at best. Purchasing a "flash" tuner that has the ability to tune your VE tables is the way to go. There are many brands that do a good job and others that do a great job... they all cost about the same. These flash tuners have the ability to reload your stock calibration "if" there is a warranty issue. I've taken in several bikes for warranty issues without removing my tune and had no issues. Depends on if you have a Customer Friendly dealer.

A piggy back tuner is another way to tune, yes... but their performance compared to a flash tuner doesn't' make the grade and is a waste of time, money and fuel mileage. If you have to remove a piggy back tuner and take it to a dealer there will be a historic code for your 02 sensors shutting down. The dealer will know this. Piggyback tuners don't use your 02 sensors therefor deny the ECM the ability to "learn" and adjust as you ride.

Again, just my educated opinion. There will be others...

Before drinking the Kool-aid do a lot of research and make a good decision. Don't let $$ drive your motivation.
+1 Your right on the money. I've tried the dealers Stage 1 flashes in the past and found them lacking, they ran hotter than the blue blazes because they were so lean. My dad put his Triglide on a dyno when it had the SE255 cams and a canned Stage 2 map, it was idling at 17.1 AFR and had other areas that were 16.1 and some rich as a pig.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One other thing is the timing on the TG should be a little different than the Touring for best operation. Mine is altered but I use a TMax tuner and dont know if the touring flash changes timing on stock tuners .

Old 11-10-2012, 03:47 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by icebite1
One other thing is the timing on the TG should be a little different than the Touring for best operation. Mine is altered but I use a TMax tuner and dont know if the touring flash changes timing on stock tuners .
Your right on, due to the extra 400 or more lbs of the trike vs touring bike the trike may not be able to handle as much timing depending on the build or no build.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:29 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't know about HD's flash, but with the mods you are talking about, I don't thik the HD thing will be near enough. A Power Commander V with a custom download from Fuel Moto is only 299.00, and this would give you what you need. Is is also removable in case of breakdown and warranty issues.

I am assuming (you know what that does) that the TriGlide and the Touring are different, as I got different, specific custom loads from Fuel Moto for the Tri and the Limited.

Bill