Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Hitting the Twisties( 2 wheel vrs. 3 wheel)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 PM
WheelGal
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wizard - I understand that. That is what I am doing today. These folks in the thread indicate they have mastered the twisties and I want to know how. Is it really getting up on two wheels?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,040 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I do pretty well in the twisties. My two wheel touring friends can't keep up... there's just no way they can. They call me an old man on two wheels and a maniac on three in the mountains.. They tell me it looks like the trike is making 90* turns but that is just an illusion.

During the years I've ridden trikes I've never pulled up a wheel, that I know of, but I believe it would be easy to tell if you did. The one time I did was from a dead stop to a hard start and right hand turn to get into traffic. The rear right came up a little and the trike slowed down, went back down on three wheels and took off.

IMO... if you get up on two wheels on a trike during a ride you've surpassed the Maniac level.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 PM
flagirl
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WheelGal
I'm just not getting it folks. Have a Street Glide Trike and am really having problems on those curves and twisties. Am getting better but still feel like I am going to flip so I slow down but then lag behind the group and catch up on the straightaways. Any pointers you can give me? I only have 2100 miles on it so far, very different from a 2 wheeler in those turns.
With 2100 miles on the trike, don't feel bad that you're still feeling unsettled in the twisties. For me, it took about 5k miles before I really felt comfortable handling my trike. Feeling like you're going to flip is a natural feeling when you're still learning how the trike handles.

In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with slowing down so you're comfortable. It's no fun riding if you're stressed out or tense.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,040 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Little tricks for twisties are...

Lightly hug the gas tank with your knees, this will make you more stable in your seat.

Lean forward a little to add to your upper body strength for the push-pull around a corner. (Unless you have plenty of upper body strength)

Push with the palm of your hand, pull with your finger grip. Do both as far to the outside of the grips as you feel comfortable.

Lock the elbow of the push hand.
Keep the pull hand elbow close to your body

If turning left, start on the right side of the lane
If turning right, start on the left side of the lane

Cut the apex... that means cut the corner off. (Starting from the left side of the lane on a right hand turn you steer across the lane in the turn to the right side then while in the middle of the turn you steer back to the left to exit)

Power out of a turn... that means when you are in the middle of the apex you give it more throttle. This seems to stabilize the trike and shoot you out the other side.

Use a lower gear to keep the RPM's up. (If riding in 4th, shift to 3rd before entering a twistie) I like to stay above 2700 RPM when entering a twistie, power out of the twistie with throttle and shift on the exit no more than 4500 RPM. This will help the trike respond to the throttle for acceleration and engine braking.

How do you know you are going too fast? You will feel the push-pull on the handlebars get harder while in the turn and the front tire will start to push into the curve instead of turning the trike around the curve. (Push into the curve means the trike will want to go straight instead of turn)

You can add body weight on the trike floorboards if you like. When turning left put more body weight on the left floorboard, right on the right floorboard. Don't worry... you won't fall off and if you hit a bump it will help to stabilize you on the trike. The only issue with this is if you have to shift gears or hit the back brakes. You will be out of position a little.

The most important tip is as said... ride at your own comfort level. The more miles and trials the easier it gets.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 AM
WheelGal
5th Gear

Thank you both for responding with understanding, encouragement and tips (which I am now itching to try). I'm glad I joined this forum!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:02 AM
5x40
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I stated before, I use too bring my "Hack" off the surface intentionally on tight turns.
I've played a little w/the new trike. This thing sticks like glue to the road/turns. It corners nearly as good as my C6. As others have stated though, it's all about your comfort zone. Stay in it. Nothing wrong w/bringing up the rear. In fact, I like it back there. No rushing or being pushed....Enjoy, have fun, and be safe!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:08 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Little tricks for twisties are...

Lightly hug the gas tank with your knees, this will make you more stable in your seat.

Lean forward a little to add to your upper body strength for the push-pull around a corner. (Unless you have plenty of upper body strength)

Push with the palm of your hand, pull with your finger grip. Do both as far to the outside of the grips as you feel comfortable.

Lock the elbow of the push hand.
Keep the pull hand elbow close to your body

If turning left, start on the right side of the lane
If turning right, start on the left side of the lane

Cut the apex... that means cut the corner off. (Starting from the left side of the lane on a right hand turn you steer across the lane in the turn to the right side then while in the middle of the turn you steer back to the left to exit)

Power out of a turn... that means when you are in the middle of the apex you give it more throttle. This seems to stabilize the trike and shoot you out the other side.

Use a lower gear to keep the RPM's up. (If riding in 4th, shift to 3rd before entering a twistie) I like to stay above 2700 RPM when entering a twistie, power out of the twistie with throttle and shift on the exit no more than 4500 RPM. This will help the trike respond to the throttle for acceleration and engine braking.

How do you know you are going too fast? You will feel the push-pull on the handlebars get harder while in the turn and the front tire will start to push into the curve instead of turning the trike around the curve. (Push into the curve means the trike will want to go straight instead of turn)

You can add body weight on the trike floorboards if you like. When turning left put more body weight on the left floorboard, right on the right floorboard. Don't worry... you won't fall off and if you hit a bump it will help to stabilize you on the trike. The only issue with this is if you have to shift gears or hit the back brakes. You will be out of position a little.

The most important tip is as said... ride at your own comfort level. The more miles and trials the easier it gets.
Very GOOD information Dave. I have found that when I am pushing too hard in the twisties my front wheel will skip. I just ease off a tad and all is fine.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:10 AM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 5x40
I stated before, I use too bring my "Hack" off the surface intentionally on tight turns.
The only thing a trike has in common with a sidecar rig is the three wheel stance. The sidecar rig footprint is not symmetrical with the line of travel. Hence, they have unique handling features. They share NOTHING in common with trikes with regard to handling.

I simply wanted to point that out for n00bs and others who may get confused when hack pilots get on here and talk about kneesliding and flying the hack in right turns. You do not do that with a trike. If a rear wheel leaves the pavement on your trike, you are in trouble.

Last edited by TaylorMcStrat; 11-29-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 AM
5x40
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TaylorMcStrat
The only thing a trike has in common with a . If a rear wheel leaves the pavement on your trike, you are in trouble.
I agree w/you. As I stated, the trike sticks like glue. That's a good thing.
Oh, and by the way, "Hacks" lift on right turns, not left.

Last edited by 5x40; 11-29-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 AM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 5x40
I agree w/you. As I stated, the trike sticks like glue. That's a good thing.
Oh, and by the way, "Hacks" lift on right turns, not left.
Fixed that part - thanks for catching my error. Especially since I posted what I did to try to clarify a point....

Quick Reply: Hitting the Twisties( 2 wheel vrs. 3 wheel)