Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Need some advice from those that know

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:45 AM
shortleg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice from those that know

I have a 2007 Street Glide and because of health am
looking at to a trike.
Would I be better just buying a trike or having mine
converted?
The motor has been taken to 103 with 255 cams and
Rhinehart exhaust.
Thanks
Shortleg[Dave]

Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

When I first became unable to ride on two wheels anymore, I owned a 2010 Ultra Limited which I thought about triking using a Lehman kit. I looked at the cost of a kit, putting a reverse on it, raking out the front end, putting steering dampers on it, painting it, and registering and insuring a custom bike. When it was all added up, I was looking at about $15,000 if I did the work myself. I traded for a brand new Triglide as soon as I could. Got a new bike warranty and the cost of my insurance actually went down! I've been smiling ever since.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

I just purchased a '13 limited and kept my '03 Electraglide. Asked Lehmann in Daytona what it would cost to upgrade the old'03 to a trike. Answer was about $16k and 2 months to return my glide with a color matching trike.

Lehmann made some of the first trikes I seen sold at dealerships. I believe the MOCO has esince copied the Lehmann design.

Choose your poison, either way you are paying about 16K more for the trike kit

Old 04-12-2013, 12:56 PM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

....if you can...get a new trike.....I have had mine for almost four years.......really like it....

Old 04-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Rockwall TG John
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe momma
....if you can...get a new trike.....I have had mine for almost four years.......really like it....
What he said

Old 04-12-2013, 02:42 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a lot of variables to kits. Price and ease of instalation are lowest for sport kits such as the Frankenstein and go up from there such as the Motortrike, Hannigan or Champion (just to name a few) that have a trunk/body and a lot of bells and whistles.
IMO If you like your bike then think seriously about a trike kit and after finding a kit you like and suits your needs but the cost is too much look at a new Trike.
All the kit sites list the base prices and options.

Last edited by icebite1; 04-13-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:51 PM
bikerbum
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my '08 Ultra and bought a very slightly used '09 Tri in 2010. Tri-Glides were designed as Trikes. Lots of other things need doing on a kit other than adding a body kit and an extra wheel. Lots of folks wait until mid-life crisis to buy their first Harley (lots of trikes sold to us oldsters) then are scared to death to ride it. It gets sold and I and others get a low mileage trike with 'goodies' really cheap. I was 'forced' off two wheels with a bad heart, but just not ready for a rocking chair yet.

good luck

Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I would trade.Even knowing that some trike conversions are better than stock.Warranty matters,resale is better on Harley trike.

just my .02

Old 04-13-2013, 05:58 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I converted one using the Roadsmith kit. I liked it ok. Last year I bought a new TG. I love it. If you can, go with the TG over a conversion.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm on my second production model trike (a TG and a Streetglide) and I am glad I bought both instead of converting. The cost of converting and the extras I would have had to add convinced me to buy a production model. Not to mention, I have had full warranty on both trikes (and I've had to use it on both). Another issue for me was the ride. I rode several converted trikes and they didn't seem to handle or ride as well.

But, I would have to agree with other posters, do your research and make up your own mind because you're the one whose gonna be riding and paying for it.

Bubba

Quick Reply: Need some advice from those that know