Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Newbie Tri Glide question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Swany6mm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Newbie Tri Glide question

So, I'm eyeballing a '14 for the wife. She doesn't know. It's going to be a gift for her. She can ride two wheels ok, but she's not an expert. Only been riding a couple of years and has, MAYBE, a total of couple thousand miles under her belt on a little Honda VLX 600.

I'm on a deployment and this go 'round my "deployment" gift for myself is a new '14 SGS. While shopping, and her running to the local HD shop, she's fallen for the three wheels.

Now, to my question -

Safety - How safe would you say they are for someone who isn't that experienced? It' a whole new set of skills, and after everything I've read, and knowing we'll do two up on it, I'll be tossing a set of DK's lifts on there (regular or comfort, not sure yet). I'm coming in at a little over 210 myself and she's just a little 110 to 115 (120 during a bad month lol).

But back to the point, she's TINY. 5'5", 115ish, and will do most of the riding by herself on this bike while I'm on the SGS. I just don't want her dumping this thing because she's into a turn too hot - Over estimating the ability of the bike.

Thoughts?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,036 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Gru... First and formost, thank you for what you do.

Next. My wife is 2" taller and 10 lbs heavier. She has been riding two wheels for years. She has trouble with upper body strength turning my '12 TG with lifts and pull back bars.

Now, I'm not saying women have trouble riding the TG. What I'm suggesting is for her to test ride a TG for a day or longer before you shell out 35 grand plus bling.

If she likes the trike but has difficulty turning it there are other options such as a Softail Conversion trike.

IMO, trikes are so much safer than two wheels. With a pacemaker and on blood thinners I hardly ever ride my other bikes. One fall could be my last... I understand this and am OK with it.

Your wife will absolutely love a trike but it's all about the test ride.

btw... there is little fear of going too hot into a corner with a trike. Not too many two wheel bikes can keep up with a trike in the twisties, they handle like they are on rails.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 11-06-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 AM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

....I would highly recommend that you send her to a school that teaches riders how to ride these things...I say that because you say she is not highly experienced...I am 68 y/o..have been riding for quite a while......have been completed a two week class in riding motorcycles.......when I went to three wheels...it took me a while to adapt to it...but,,,i really like it...at first they (3 wheeler) are a little strange...but after some miles they seem to work good...I have forty two thousand on my 09 t/g....my only mod it the rear shock lift kit.....good luck and be safe !!

Old 11-06-2013, 10:12 AM
JJHOG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swany, let me also thank you for your Service. It is important that the TG be setup properly for your wife's stature. MOCO makes a "reduced reach" handlebar that will bring the controls back towards her by 2". You will also be able to slant the handlebars down towards her which will further improve her ablility to steer the TG. In addition MOCO also makes a "reduced reach" tourning seat. They have two models. Reduced Reach Seat #52000131 and the Super Reduced Reach Seat #52000132. Most men do not care for either of these seats, especially the Super Reduced Reach Seat because they crowd the jewels. However, this is not a problem for women.

If you are going to have your wife test drive a TG I would suggest you start out with you driving it alone and then have your wife ride as a passenger. Then before you have your wife drive it alone have the dealer put on the Super Reduced Reach Seat first and then let her take it out. You wife needs to be close enough to the handlebars so that she will have leverage to turn them left and right.

I think once you get the TG setup specifically for her she will enjoy it and may even leave you in her dust.

Last edited by JJHOG; 11-06-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

Swany,

I agree that you ought to have your wife test drive a TG when you get back from deployment. I'm small in stature (short) myself and I'm on my second trike, a TG and a SG. I've never had any issues riding or steering either one. I ride the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina a lot and I've never even come close to losing it on the twisties up there.

The reduced reach seat and handle bars would definitely be wise investments if you get her a TG. I don't have either, but I had the dealer adjust the bars to my liking on delivery. The TG is a heck of a lot easier to handle than two wheels. One does use the arms to steer vice leaning, but it doesn't require much strength to turn a trike.

From a Veteran to an Active Duty member: Thanks for your service and keep your head down if you're in the sandbox.

Bubba

Old 11-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

Again thanks for your service and your wife's sacrifice, wives surffer alone when their spouses are deployed...

My wife just started riding her own two years ago, didn't do well at all on 2 wheels, she now has a GW trike and can go anywhere, even pulls a Bushtec Trailer...practice and taking her time...your wife will do fine.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Swany6mm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all, and you all are welcome. Happy to do it. If I wasn't, I'm in the wrong job Just re-upped for my third term

Originally Posted by Bubba49
From a Veteran to an Active Duty member: Thanks for your service and keep your head down if you're in the sandbox.
Thank you Bubba, and thank YOU for yours. I always keep my head down. I'm proud to do what I do, but I want my soldiers and myself to go home the same way we got here - in one piece

Thank you all for your responses so far - I've done more reading since I posted this and I see more and more where people talk about good handling. I guess I became a little concerned where DK was talking about where he gets it up on two wheels in stock configuration (granted, yes, I DO understand he was also saying it was done intentionally, and it takes skill to get it that way lol ). I also understand, anything with wheels can crash. Just never having been on one, and especially her with only basic skills, I didn't want to set her up for failure.

Please, if there are more useful opinions, keep them coming. I'm all ears

Old 11-06-2013, 02:22 PM
ZBear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swany, thank you for your Service. Love my trike. I also love my 2 wheeler. I ride the trike especially when I'm having leg weakness. After a long day on the trike, I notice my lower torso is a whole lot better, but arms and upper body is wore out. Especially when the guys I ride with do a bunch of twistees in the 80s+.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:29 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

My wife, 62, 5'7" 130 lbs has been on a trike since 2009. A nasty bout with cancer and chemotherapy messed with the feelings in her hands, feet, and legs. She couldn't feel if her feet are down and damned near dumped her '08 Deluxe. After years on 2 wheels, it was a trike or nothing. She adapted in no time at all. Actually, limited experience on 2 wheels makes the change easier. In 2011 major heart surgery got me off 2 wheels and onto a trike. Bought her a new one, I inherited the '09. She has 15,000 miles on the '11 and put half the 40,000 miles on the '09. When our group rides she is usually the leader and has to watch herself so she doesn't run away form the pack. Since we have 2 trikes we rarely ride 2 up. We ride all over the south-west. Take a look at screwballsteve on Utube there are movies and slide shows.

Double ditto on The Wiz's suggestion, rent a trike for a day or two. Put a bunch of miles on it BEFORE you drop 35 grand. There have been members here that just couldn't adapt and are having one hell of a time selling their scoot.

Good Luck!

Old 11-06-2013, 03:43 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bought my wife a fatboy right after I got mine....She took the course but just couldn't get use to the weight of the fatboy...ok going down the road, but in tight spots and parking lots, it was hard for her to handle...found a 10 Tri bout 18 months ago and she goes everywhere on it,,,even without me......

Quick Reply: Newbie Tri Glide question