VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

VROD questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 AM
jeffc68
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will love that bike. Nothing like it. The one Mod I am most impressed with is the Arnott Air Ride Suspension. I only have 500 miles on it but it feels awesome and my back doesn't hurt after a 4 hr ride (Which it did before the suspension upgrade and my Fat Bob).

Originally Posted by confused
I think I like the improvements that they have made to the 2012's
If I am going to do this I may go all the way with an 2012;

NEW Black Split 5-Spoke Cast Aluminum wheels with orange pinstripe are three pounds lighter than previous wheels
NEW Tapered tail section with flush-mount LED taillight
NEW Pullback handlebar places controls three inches closer to the rider and optimizes overall feel with a low, wide position.
NEW Reduced reach, forward-mounted rider footpegs
NEW Inverted front forks
NEW Two-up seat with custom stitching
NEW Stylized black speed screen visor
NEW Slim design, center-mount license plate
NEW Graphics

Attached Thumbnails VROD questions-12nrs.jpg  
Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Slim_B_Kool
Cruiser

I see you have done some of your homework. The 12 models are nice bikes. Now what about mods. A basic stage 1 will get you around 110 to 115 at the ground. Stage 2 cams will get you another 10 or so. You can go all in with cams, TB, injectors, velocity stacks and get around 135 to 140 at the ground. It just depends on how you want the bike to run. Keep in mind the factory howerpower rating is at the crank. They ride really smooth and have good grip wet or dry. They ride just like an air-cooled bike in the lower rpms but it takes a seriously powerful air-cooled bike to even stay in site of the v-rod. In stock trim they will run 0 to 60 in about 3.2 seconds, run high 11s in the 1/4, top speed for a stock one is about 140 to 145.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:20 PM
confused
Road Captain

Did a little more homework today and went down to the dealer at closing time and sat on one. Very nice - I like the improvements, felt very comfortable, did not feel stretched.
So I know this is a loaded question but what seems to be the best pipe for the VROD.
I did CAMS, Dyno and all that with my Ultra and kinda thinking if I do this to just do stage 1 = Pipes, Air (K&N Filter), Mapping. I say that but who knows what will happen. Back to the pipes, on my Ultra I have V&H and yes they are loud and once again I'm thinking I do not want to go that loud on the VROD, so what pipes do people like to put on these bikes.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:44 AM
Daddie O
Cruiser

I like my vrod the best. Forward controls and all the chrome you could want. I have taken the bags off since this photo, I need to update it. There are kits so the 2002-2006 vrods can have 5 gallon tanks (mine does). I prefer how the 180 tire handles compared to the 240. The wider frame of the later models makes me feel like im sitting too bowlegged. Best thing to do is rent one and ride it for a day. I personally don't care for the shortened rake on the 2012's. Over on 1130cc.com the 2012's get bashed a lot (especially the muscle).

Bottom line is find the one you like and test ride it. Even rent one for a good long test ride. Then buy what you like. In this economy you can get a screaming deal on a used one, jus sayin.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:35 AM
Jetgod
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Daddie O
I like my vrod the best. Forward controls and all the chrome you could want. I have taken the bags off since this photo, I need to update it. There are kits so the 2002-2006 vrods can have 5 gallon tanks (mine does). I prefer how the 180 tire handles compared to the 240. The wider frame of the later models makes me feel like im sitting too bowlegged. Best thing to do is rent one and ride it for a day. I personally don't care for the shortened rake on the 2012's. Over on 1130cc.com the 2012's get bashed a lot (especially the muscle).
I agree with the tire statement. The 240 looks great but no way does it handle as well as a 180 or 200. The 240 will give you a workout.

As far as pipes go, before I went to the turbo I had six different exhausts on my bike. The CFR was the best sounding, best performance pipe by far.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 PM
DLL66
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ImNoPrince
I think the NRS all blacked out is the best right now but if you can find an 08 D ( Nightrod). I think that's the best V-rod ever pout out. Bigger engine, bigger tank, 240 rear but still has the Mid Controls .

I still get along just fine with my 06D and got it for a steal a few years ago . I'm trying to black it out as much as possible as that's the look I like .

You can't go wrong with any of them I like the Muscle as I think they intended it to be a bagger and it looks real nice set up that way but still has great performance.
Correction on the 08 D with a 240 rear. All of the VRSCD models have a 180 rear tire. That is one of the differences between a VRSCD (Night Rod) and a VRSCDX (Night Rod Special). Actually, the 07 VRSCD was the first year with the 5 gallon gas tank.

In 06, the VRSCR (Street Rod) was the first V-Rod to come out with the 5 gallon gas tank.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:18 PM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DLL66
Correction on the 08 D with a 240 rear. All of the VRSCD models have a 180 rear tire. That is one of the differences between a VRSCD (Night Rod) and a VRSCDX (Night Rod Special). Actually, the 07 VRSCD was the first year with the 5 gallon gas tank.

In 06, the VRSCR (Street Rod) was the first V-Rod to come out with the 5 gallon gas tank.
Thanks I know around the 08 is when they started to really blend a few models . For some reason I thought the D got all the Upgrades and the Dx just went darker and with forward controls .

Old 04-03-2012, 03:04 PM
rubyeb
6th Gear

You will like the v-rod. It's really hard not to like. whenever the whole line switches to water cooling, it will not be so unique. I would suggest you keep the Ultra for a few days. You may or may not enjoy the smaller ride. I'd hate to see you trade the such a nice Ultra before you are really, really sure.

Last edited by rubyeb; 04-03-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Fuji
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by confused
I think I like the improvements that they have made to the 2012's
If I am going to do this I may go all the way with an 2012;

NEW Black Split 5-Spoke Cast Aluminum wheels with orange pinstripe are three pounds lighter than previous wheels
NEW Tapered tail section with flush-mount LED taillight
NEW Pullback handlebar places controls three inches closer to the rider and optimizes overall feel with a low, wide position.
NEW Reduced reach, forward-mounted rider footpegs
NEW Inverted front forks
NEW Two-up seat with custom stitching
NEW Stylized black speed screen visor
NEW Slim design, center-mount license plate
NEW Graphics
I own a 2012. Bought it after a test ride.
Test rode a 2010. Ugh! Loved the engine. Hated the riding position.
The 2012 is a major improvement, IMHO. Better handling and more comfortable.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Yarvis
6th Gear

I own a 06D that I am seriously considering trading in for a 2012 Street Glide. I really love my D but can't justify having three bikes in my somewhat small garage. I might get bashed here but NO V-ROD in my opinion, is ideal for two up touring. If mine was, I wouldn't be looking at real touring bikes like the glide, Victory Cross Country and others. I have tried several attempts to make it comfy for my wife but it just hasn't worked out. The stock D seat was also very uncomfortable until I sent it to Butt Buffer to have a pad put in. Price from a dealer is going to be on the high side. When I go into dealers and i see pre-owned rods for sale, I always look at their pricing. Best bet is to buy from a private seller for the best deal and info on the bike being sold.

Quick Reply: VROD questions