Want To Buy Motorcycles/Parts/Accessories Looking for a Motorcycle or a part to help get your motorcycle back together? In search of a deal on used leathers? Post your wants here! Please read the rules for posting in this section.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Need motor Nightster 08+

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 02:53 PM
fxd03
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if it will fit or anything about just saw it and had read this the other day.

http://allentown.ebayclassifieds.com...r/?ad=12517734

Old 08-29-2011, 05:27 PM
1cerberus4u
Cruiser

Ok, here is what I have so far.........

without starting a new thread, the dealer we bought the bike from, Granite State Harley Davidson has told my wife to pound sand........ not a tear, support hug, reach around, attempt to reach out to Harley...... nothing...... just F*(k off!

So, if anyone is considering buying a new bike from them....... I would caution you to look elsewhere...... I can't begin to describe just how bad our experience with them was..... (again I don't want to see this tread turn into a dealer bitch session, just wanted the HD forum know of a dealer to avoid)

As to the motor, depending on the dealership you talk to, some say you can order a complete motor for $4800, some say you can only order parts... go figure......

There is a Re-manufactured motor program, but it is only for the big twins, so no sporty support.....

Concerning the cost to benefit analysis to rebuild vs buy.... figure by the time you pull the motor, tear it down, split the case, machine the case, buy a new crank if needed (500-600), buy a new gasket set, oil pump etc, then build it all back up, we will be looking at 3000-4000......... new motor? $4800......

The motor on the 07's and up have a different flywheel, so you can't put an old motor in. Problem is there does not seem to be any 07 up Nightster motors in the used world, except for a crashed one on Evil Bay and that just wont do.

So, that leaves buying a used nightster and swapping out motors, fix the bad one, put the original motor back in the spare bike and sell it back off. Or take this motor out (in the process of doing that now), bring it to R&R in Manchester NH, where they will take 2-3 months to rebuild it (this will include stage 4 heads, cams etc)

The second option will mean the wifey will not be able to ride for the rest of the short year up here in NH

Of course, plan c is I buy her the new Switchback on the floor at a dealership, but she says she loves her little rat rod and only want to ride that... btw, here is a pick of her 08 nightster..... we've done a bunch of work to it........

Not quite sure if I know how to loan up the pic but

08 nightster
4.2 tank
painted Demin black
stripes by One Armed Bandit
Short Shots
Intake
powder coated wheels, exhaust tips, pulley, intake etc
front wheel off a '48, custom drilled for dual 13.5 floaters
front end off an xr1200
custom risers I machined (let me know if anyone wants them)
custom valved ohlins
Avon wide whites
Dakota Digital dash
Lowered 2.5 inches

If the pic does not load, some one help. The link to add a pic only points to a url....... it does not let me insert a pic

Attached Thumbnails Need motor Nightster 08+-laurie-nightster-pic.jpg  
Old 08-30-2011, 09:48 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn I feel your pain on this one, kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Have you looked for wrecked sportsters?

Often, even on a totaled bike, the engine is worth saving....

Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 PM
1cerberus4u
Cruiser

yea, but nothing to be found....

I also posted this in the standard Sporty forum, trying to find a line or direction from other sporty owens, but the moderator kicked the thread out.... he must be a just another anti customer dealership employee...... LOL